Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Containerted's 2016 startup (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=40129)

ContainerTed March 13, 2016 08:25 PM

Containerted's 2016 startup

2 Attachment(s)
Today was the start to getting the seeds into the mix. I'll have at least two other trays like this one. Note that each of the 72 little compartments have multiple seeds in them.

I'll have the other two trays in a day or so. No hurry here. The second picture is the simple map of what seeds are in which compartment in case things get jumbled or take a hit or something. I also use that map to indicate that a little seedling has appeared indicating that germination has happened.

clara March 13, 2016 08:56 PM

It's really funny, Ted! That's almost exactly what my starting trays look like, but without the white stickers. The seed tray is in another tray, marked with A - L and 1 - 6. Then there is a map similar to yours with all the names and the number of seeds in each cell and I can see that in cell # G3 is Maiden's Fire for example.

PhilaGardener March 13, 2016 08:56 PM

Off to a nice start! Your picture is almost clear enough to provide the same info as your handwritten spreadsheet!

ContainerTed March 13, 2016 09:15 PM

[QUOTE=PhilaGardener;541407]Off to a nice start! Your picture is almost clear enough to provide the same info as your handwritten spreadsheet![/QUOTE]

Actually, the original picture had to be size reduced to be able to post it here. The original is good enough to read the back row with ease.

ContainerTed March 13, 2016 09:23 PM

[QUOTE=clara;541406]It's really funny, Ted! That's almost exactly what my starting trays look like, but without the white stickers. The seed tray is in another tray, marked with A - L and 1 - 6. Then there is a map similar to yours with all the names and the number of seeds in each cell and I can see that in cell # G3 is Maiden's Fire for example.[/QUOTE]

Clara, are you back home now? Hope so. You might see a couple of familiar names in this first tray. And, did you know that those white stickers are "cut up mini-blinds". Next destinations for the current occupants of this tray will be 9 oz plastic cups followed by a main garden location.

imp March 13, 2016 09:23 PM

Very nice printing, too! Want to do my labels from now on??? LOL!

Iam glad you are getting to start some, it's fun to get into the dirt.

AlittleSalt March 13, 2016 09:39 PM

It's all a really good system, but cut up mini-blinds is pure genius. :)

heirloomtomaguy March 13, 2016 09:40 PM

Very nice Ted. Here's to another great season my friend.

ContainerTed March 13, 2016 09:49 PM

Yeah, Robert. We've been using them for several years now. I cut each of the blind blades down the middle and then to the length I like. Then, a fine point Sharpie and we're off to the planting.

It's the easiest and, most importantly, by far, the CHEAPEST way to do it. You can buy a new blind or just use an old one that needed replacing. Each slat in a standard window width will yield up to 16 plant markers. An old pair of scissors cuts the plastic easily.

And, they go to the garden or container at plant-out time. I stick them in the ground when the seedling is planted and pick them out when cleaning up the garden in the fall. The shade from the plant all but eliminates sun fade.

ContainerTed March 13, 2016 09:50 PM

Hey, Garrett. A couple of the ones I got from you are in that tray. Hope your season is bountiful and everything tastes good.

PhilaGardener March 13, 2016 09:58 PM

[QUOTE=ContainerTed;541427]And, they go to the garden or container at plant-out time. I stick them in the ground when the seedling is planted and pick them out when cleaning up the garden in the fall. The shade from the plant all but eliminates sun fade.[/QUOTE]

I've had problems with Sharpie "permanent" marker fading on mine, so I simply write the name at the top (exposed) and again near the point. Where it is underground, the writing remains clear and easy to read if I can't make out the name on the top. Saved me from lost ID more than once. ;)

AlittleSalt March 13, 2016 10:01 PM

Ted, I showed this to my wife and she's agreeing 100%. She says a 24" blind at Walmart sells for $2.78 - larger ones for $3.78. I know how I'll be doing this from now on.

timbucktwo March 13, 2016 10:07 PM

I was just getting ready to throw out an old set of Venetian blinds, great idea!

heirloomtomaguy March 13, 2016 10:35 PM

[QUOTE=ContainerTed;541429]Hey, Garrett. A couple of the ones I got from you are in that tray. Hope your season is bountiful and everything tastes good.[/QUOTE]

I too have several of the ones you sent me in the ground already. Thanks again Ted

Starlight March 14, 2016 01:31 PM

Lots of time you can drive down the road and find lots of free blinds from where folks have thrown them out. If you have mini blinds and they too long for your window, you can always take out the bottom ones and cut them up.

Nice selection you have started there. : ) Lots I haven't heard of before, so it will be nice later on to see how they do and what you think of them.