Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Hot sweet pepper (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39753)

jhamilton1208 February 22, 2016 09:51 PM

Hot sweet pepper

Is there a pepper that has a sweet taste, but is hot? Like a sugary sweet flavor with a kick? Or does this go against everything pepper?

Just kind of a random question. I made cowboy bites I think they're called - sweet pickled Jalapenos - and I love them, which just made me wonder.

Thanks.

Worth1 February 22, 2016 11:11 PM

[QUOTE=jhamilton1208;534416]Is there a pepper that has a sweet taste, but is hot? Like a sugary sweet flavor with a kick? Or does this go against everything pepper?

Just kind of a random question. I made cowboy bites I think they're called - sweet pickled Jalapenos - and I love them, which just made me wonder.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The two I can think of that have sort of a sweet fruity taste is rocoto and manzano.

Plus if you let even the jalapenos get red they have a better flavor and sugar content.
The best peppers are ripe peppers.

Worth

guruofgardens February 23, 2016 09:43 AM

[I]Just kind of a random question. I made cowboy bites I think they're called - sweet pickled Jalapenos - and I love them, which just made me wonder.[/I]

We all love Cowboy Candy and I usually make 2 different batches - one with only green jalapeños and the other with red and green jalapeños with a few slices of bhut jolokia in every jar.

It's much easier and less expensive to make the Candy this way, for me anyway.

mmm123 February 24, 2016 12:02 AM

cowhorn

My sister brought down some pepper she called a cowhorn. It was 4-6 inches red and about an inch in diameter. She put the peppers in the fridge and I was worried the seeds might not germinate. In 2-3 days they popped. I was germinating seeds from 5 different peppers and they were the fastest to germinate. They are also growing faster then my other hot peppers so far. I just bumped one up to a 10 gallon pot this week. It's about 6 inches. Anyway I ate a couple dozen of the peppers and they are very sweet with a little bit of late heat. Very good pepper. My sister said the plants get 4 feet and produce heavy? I end up drying allot of superhots and make powder. Eventually I want to dry the cowhorn and add to the superhot powder for the flavor. I have only a few seeds I can spare. PM if interested. My sister said the plants originally came from Lowes and all the label said was cowhorn.
Mike

Worth1 February 24, 2016 08:23 AM

[QUOTE=mmm123;534753]My sister brought down some pepper she called a cowhorn. It was 4-6 inches red and about an inch in diameter. She put the peppers in the fridge and I was worried the seeds might not germinate. In 2-3 days they popped. I was germinating seeds from 5 different peppers and they were the fastest to germinate. They are also growing faster then my other hot peppers so far. I just bumped one up to a 10 gallon pot this week. It's about 6 inches. Anyway I ate a couple dozen of the peppers and they are very sweet with a little bit of late heat. Very good pepper. My sister said the plants get 4 feet and produce heavy? I end up drying allot of superhots and make powder. Eventually I want to dry the cowhorn and add to the superhot powder for the flavor. I have only a few seeds I can spare. PM if interested. My sister said the plants originally came from Lowes and all the label said was cowhorn.
Mike[/QUOTE]

I bet they are Corno Di Toro.

Worth

roper2008 February 24, 2016 07:59 PM

The Rheza pepper is hot and very sweet. It is heavily striated though. I have grown
it a few times and again this year if the seeds germinate. Below is the same pepper.

[url]https://youtu.be/KaO5OeGaOYA[/url]

Worth1 February 29, 2016 01:34 PM

Folks the original thread starter hasn't logged on in 6 days but I am going to post this information here and yet others places as well.
I cannot express to you how good a fried Manzano pepper is if you cut it in half remove the seeds and fry it until it collapses.
I just did this for the first time with one last night and put it on a hamburger.:yes:

Worth

Darren Abbey February 29, 2016 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;536300]I cannot express to you how good a fried Manzano pepper is if you cut it in half remove the seeds and fry it until it collapses.[/QUOTE]

I've gotten the fruit before from a local grocer, but I never figured out what exactly to do with it. This has tipped the balance towards me trying to grow one of these peppers.

Worth1 February 29, 2016 03:37 PM

[QUOTE=Darren Abbey;536333]I've gotten the fruit before from a local grocer, but I never figured out what exactly to do with it. This has tipped the balance towards me trying to grow one of these peppers.[/QUOTE]

I also stuff them with a cool tuna salad or sardine salad made the same way.
And I have stuffed and baked them and made salsa with them too.
Worth

jhamilton1208 February 29, 2016 04:23 PM

Sorry for not being on, my mom had surgery and I was a bit busy, but I really do appreciate all the responses. Worth, as usual you're a wealth of information. Going to check out the different varieties you all suggested.

Edit: Thanks a bunch, everyone. I love this board.

Worth1 February 29, 2016 04:26 PM

[QUOTE=jhamilton1208;536346]Sorry for not being on, my mom had surgery and I was a bit busy, but I really do appreciate all the responses. Worth, as usual you're a wealth of information. Going to check out the different varieties you all suggested.[/QUOTE]

Not complaining just worried wish your mother well.:)

jhamilton1208 February 29, 2016 04:39 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;536348]Not complaining just worried wish your mother well.:)[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know. Pet peeve of mine, too. Someone posts something, and never appears again. Thanks for the well wishes. She's doing pretty good for the most part actually, all things considered.

swamper February 29, 2016 04:51 PM

Arledge, an heirloom from Louisiana is my pick for a fruity sweet pepper that has plenty of heat. It has the advantage of ripening quickly to red and standing well on the plant without rotting.

heirloomtomaguy February 29, 2016 07:43 PM

My favorite hot sweet pepper is Tiger Tooth. Its got habanero heat with the sweetness of Corno di Toro. Really good.

Gazeofslate May 24, 2016 11:49 AM

I know this thread is quite old but if you're looking for a balance between sweetness and heat, it doesn't get any better than a piment d'Espelette if you ask me. Due to French law, this pepper cannot be sold under this name if it's grown outside of the Espelette area (AOC, or "controlled designation of origin") so another name for this cultivar is Gorria.
Not as hot as a Jalapeño, but it has a pleasant spiciness to it and a rather unique taste.