Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Squash Seeds ? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38041)

AlittleSalt August 8, 2015 03:12 PM

Squash Seeds ?

I'm doing a fertility test on seeds I saved from Gialla Nostrale. My seed starting tray has 12 cells, so I used 6 of them for the test.
This left half the cells empty, and we can't have that :)

So I did some research on how many years squash can remain viable, and as usual the Internet provided conflicting info. I read at one site that tomato seeds are only viable for three years:lol: tell that to the ones I'm growing from 2003.

I'm thinking that squash seeds saved in a dry place in your home should be viable for at least 4 years? I have some in an unopened pack from 2009 that I got from Worth. They are Zapallo hybrid. I just planted 6 of them. I have them inside under a florescent light. The temperature is around 74F.

I have two questions:

Do any of you know how long squash seeds generally remain viable?

What is the best germination ground temperatures for Summer squash?

akgardengirl August 8, 2015 04:28 PM

I don't know the answer to your question but I would like to know where you purchased your Gialla Nostrale seeds. They seem to be rare!
Sue

Worth1 August 8, 2015 05:09 PM

If I am not mistaken I sprouted some this year that were maybe 6 years old.'
now the plants died but it wasn't the seeds fault it was slugs.
Can you do me a favor and try to sprout some of the okra seeds they are very old.
Just keep them moist in the house and see if they sprout.
You have a ton of them.:lol:
Worth
'

AlittleSalt August 8, 2015 07:48 PM

Akgardengirl, I got them from a friend here at Tomatoville. He sent me 3 seeds and all three grew and produced 3 squash through our bad weather. I have seeds drying now. Yes, they are rare and very hard to find. I'll do my best to change that. If you would like, I can mail you some when they are finished drying.

Worth, I will try several different okra varieties. I will get them started in the morning. I can start as many things as you would like.

akgardengirl August 8, 2015 07:54 PM

Thank you Robert. I am having a very good squash year myself. Anchorage has had 3 good summers in a row. Matter of fact, I have never paid too much attention to all the tomato diseases everyone has in the lower 48 but I seem to have some myself this year due to the hotter summers. Oh well, I 'll have to take the good with the bad.
Sue

Worth1 August 8, 2015 08:41 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;497467]Akgardengirl, I got them from a friend here at Tomatoville. He sent me 3 seeds and all three grew and produced 3 squash through our bad weather. I have seeds drying now. Yes, they are rare and very hard to find. I'll do my best to change that. If you would like, I can mail you some when they are finished drying.

Worth, I will try several different okra varieties. I will get them started in the morning. I can start as many things as you would like.[/QUOTE]

It is just to see if they sprout not to grow out.:)

worth