Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Why we like to over winter the super hots (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=37369)

ScottinAtlanta June 30, 2015 11:33 AM

Why we like to over winter the super hots

1 Attachment(s)
The superhots are slow to produce in year 1, but in years 2 and 3, production increases tenfold.

Here is a Yellow Scorpion, three years old, already producing heavy loads of peppers, while peppers germinated this year are just starting to flower.

I over winter in a cold room - 45-60 degrees all winter, with natural light. I lose about 25% of the peppers, but do almost nothing to keep them alive other than water occasionally. They lose most of their leaves, and look like sticks when I plant out in spring, but they immediately spring back to life. I am very careful of the root balls when I transplant - I wash the roots clean in rain water, dunk in a microbial solution, and then plant.

Salsacharley June 30, 2015 11:54 AM

Wow! The stem looks tree-like. I'm gonna have to try the overwinter technique. Thanks.

Tracydr June 30, 2015 12:00 PM

I will be doing mine in a greenhouse this winter. It just takes too long for superhots to produce and they do better year after year, like you say.
Eggplants will overwinter well like this, too.

pauldavid June 30, 2015 12:09 PM

I have been doing the same thing with a Chile Pequin for a few years, but it died this spring. Never tried a Yellow Scorpion, but it sounds HOT just by name alone.:).
The pepper looks kind of like Habanero, but different.

KarenO June 30, 2015 12:22 PM

fantastic. I'm going to try and keep one over winter this year.
KarenO

flgatorguy87 June 30, 2015 12:34 PM

So this is better for the super hots, but is it also beneficial for all varieties? What about just jalapeño or pepperoncini?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Mojave June 30, 2015 04:01 PM

I've done it with a Tabasco plant. By the third year it was a huge five foot bush with more peppers than even I, a pepper head, could ever use.

Nice looking Scorpion Scott! :)

ScottinAtlanta June 30, 2015 04:15 PM

I am going to smoke those Scorpions, and then dry them.

Mojave June 30, 2015 04:43 PM

[QUOTE=ScottinAtlanta;485579]I am going to smoke those Scorpions, and then dry them.[/QUOTE]
Most all of my Scorpions (red) went to powder. I just might have to try smoking some this year.

pauldavid July 1, 2015 02:24 AM

I have read up on the Scorpions now. OMG, they definitely have the heat.:cry: Do they also have a fruity taste like Habaneros? Can anyone descibe them to me? Definitely interested in these. I Like the scorpion tail, sort of like a warning to anyone wanting to take a bite!:)

ScottinAtlanta July 1, 2015 09:48 AM

Yes, they do have a fruity, almost citrus taste. I nibble them when eating other stuff, like pasta. One tiny nibble explodes with a fiery citrus in your mouth.

BigVanVader July 1, 2015 09:59 AM

Holy cow, I need to do this as I love hot peppers. Now to convince the wife.

ScottinAtlanta July 1, 2015 10:22 AM

I have seeds of the Yellow Scorpions - just pm me with with your mailing address if you want some.

I should add that I got the original seeds for the Yellow Scorpion from tjg911, who is Tom in Connecticut, in February 2012. His generous gift has given me enormous pleasure with this great pepper.

pauldavid July 1, 2015 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=ScottinAtlanta;485748]Yes, they do have a fruity, almost citrus taste. I nibble them when eating other stuff, like pasta. One tiny nibble explodes with a fiery citrus in your mouth.[/QUOTE]

Wow, they do sound great! The citrus taste is a plus.
PM sent.

efisakov July 1, 2015 01:51 PM

That is a beautiful plant, Scott. Thanks for the idea.