Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Covering seeds outside? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35441)

MarcH. March 11, 2015 12:05 PM

Covering seeds outside?

I have to leave the garden alone for a long while today. I sowed a bunch of different seeds in my raised bed. What would be best to cover them with to keep them moist while I'm away?

Stvrob March 11, 2015 12:09 PM

you might lay a board down on the row, as long as you dont think they will germinate today.

heirloomtomaguy March 11, 2015 12:19 PM

Painters plastic. Its cheap and the plants can push it up when they germinate. Works like a humidity dome also.

Starlight March 11, 2015 12:26 PM

Yep, I agree. I use the painter's plastic too. You can get like 10 X 10 sheets for a buck a piece at the dollar store. Will keep the moisture in.

joseph March 11, 2015 12:30 PM

I wonder how seeds germinated before the advent of agriculture?

If it were me, I'd give them a drink of water and go away. They'll either grow or not.

Rfdillon March 11, 2015 12:33 PM

You might also try a single layer of burlap.

jmsieglaff March 11, 2015 12:40 PM

[QUOTE=joseph;456220]I wonder how seeds germinated before the advent of agriculture?

If it were me, I'd give them a drink of water and go away. They'll either grow or not.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Water them in nicely and you should be fine until this evening or even the next day. I direct sow a lot of things into my garden and never cover things. Even in summer heat I drench early and again in the evening, works just fine.

Worth1 March 11, 2015 01:07 PM

I have never covered anything I direct sowed in my life.
The very most I have done is put overhead sprays on a timer to go off in the morning while I was gone for days at a time.

What are you direct sowing?

Worth

Starlight March 11, 2015 01:42 PM

I just happened to notice that you in Las Vegas. Are your temps so high that you would dry out that quickly? If not, than I would agree to not cover, just water good.

If your temps are super hot already and you cover with plastic, which works, you may just fry your seed.

Worth1 March 11, 2015 01:48 PM

[QUOTE=Starlight;456237]I just happened to notice that you in Las Vegas. Are your temps so high that you would dry out that quickly? If not, than I would agree to not cover, just water good.

If your temps are super hot already and you cover with plastic, which works, you may just fry your seed.[/QUOTE]

Cloudy today and sunny for the rest of the week

Temps in the 80's later this week and in the high 50's low 60's at night.

With the sun out under clear plastic I agree it would toast the seeds.
Worth

MarcH. March 11, 2015 02:20 PM

Yeah luckily its cloudy today. I'll just soak em good and leave em.

Worth I sowed carrots, beats, sunflowers, melons, squash, pole beans, bush beans, chard, chilantro, romaine and some okra for good measure.

Stvrob March 11, 2015 02:42 PM

I'm not sure I'd put plastic over them. They might roast if the sun comes out. I think I would do nothing before I resorted to plastic.

luke March 12, 2015 01:52 AM

Just sow and go. I took a chance on some early seeding about a month back before a rain and left them alone. They've been through a few freezes, heavy rains and some warm weather and they're doing fine.

Tracydr March 12, 2015 06:24 AM

Some seeds germinate better if they get wet then dry. I never cover mine, even though I was in AZ until the past year. For things like lettuce, I plant in part-shade in AZ to extend growing season.

Mushimi March 12, 2015 10:09 AM

I cover my carrots with a board, here in southern California. Our usual lack of humidity and full sun will dry out the top layer of mulch/soil pretty quickly, and it's just easier to cover them than to have half not germinate/die because the soil dried to the point that they couldn't break through. The other things on your list I wouldn't worry about as much (although I tend to start my lettuce indoors, it just starts better for me). I would assume NV is similar weather-wise.