Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Bhut Jolokia..How Tall if planted in ground. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=32518)

PA_Julia May 22, 2014 07:05 PM

Bhut Jolokia..How Tall if planted in ground.

Hi everyone!!

Next year I'm going to grow super hots from seeds like I do my tomato plants but this year I went into pepper growing a bit late so I went and found a nice healthy six inch tall Bhut Jolokia plant from a local nursery.

My question is how tall does this particular pepper plant get if planted in ground and should I top the plant in order to get it to bush and increase yield.

Thanks!!

gssgarden May 22, 2014 07:17 PM

Mine got just about 2 feet at maturity give or take. Nice tall bushy plant. Plenty of fruit. I found no need to top it because I just didn't have the need for ALL that heat!!

Had quite an interesting flavor when handled correctly.

Be careful!! :)

Greg

PA_Julia May 22, 2014 08:01 PM

Thank you Greg!! Yes I have gloves to handle the peppers. Can't be too careful at this level. Next year I'm obtaining some Carolina Reaper seeds which should prove to be very interesting concerning growing.

Thank you for your input.

epsilon May 22, 2014 08:05 PM

Actually if you start now and over winter inside near a heat source, you might be able to have peppers earlier, especially since from what I've found on the internet, is that it takes between six to eight weeks for the plant to pick back up after topping it. Also keep in mind that these peppers need a long season to mature. Which means that by the end of this season you'll have a nice plant ready to start setting fruit but with no fruit on the plant. And with the chance that next year will be an El Niño year it should warm up early so you could potentially be setting by may if you move it to a sunny spot as soon as new growth starts.

oldasrocks May 22, 2014 08:35 PM

I have 4 Reapers growing. I didn't get a very good germination rate on seeds from the company I ordered from. I think it was Seedman.com. We grew Jolos a couple yrs ago and they are plenty hot. The hot sauce we made is eating through the jars lids.

heirloomtomaguy May 22, 2014 08:47 PM

My bhuts have reached upward of 4 feet tall in 5 gallon pots. Also have 32 reaper plants in the ground and one in a pot this year on top of 24 other super hots. I never top the plants and they produce like crazy. If you need seeds i have a few extra if interested.

Mojave May 22, 2014 08:58 PM

My 2013 in ground Bhuts reached 2 1/2 to 3 feet. Potted ones were somewhat shorter, maybe 2 to 2 1/2 feet. They are a pretty languid grower the first half of the year but take off mid Summer, and get pretty bushy even without topping.

At the moment my 2014 Bhuts are about 12 to 14 inches tall and are the first of my super hots developing little baby peppers. =D

Good luck Julia!

PA_Julia May 22, 2014 08:58 PM

Wow guys, excellent advice!! I'm excited about growing this plant. I also have Hot Portugal and that is approx a foot and a half tall.

I would attempt the plant inside Epsilon but I have no where to put it. LOL!!

gssgarden May 22, 2014 09:32 PM

Bill, Same with me. Was afraid it wouldn't produce but when mid to late summer came, BAM!! she popped! Got a good amount too!!

Julia, looking at old pics, I bet it got 2 1/2 feet tall. Not near 4 feet though. Never heard of any pepper getting that big.

If you cut it properly, and avoid as much heat as you can, it does have a fruity flavor to it.....followed by the flavor of DEATH!! ;)

Greg

epsilon May 22, 2014 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=heirloomtomaguy;412277]My bhuts have reached upward of 4 feet tall in 5 gallon pots. Also have 32 reaper plants in the ground and one in a pot this year on top of 24 other super hots. I never top the plants and they produce like crazy. If you need seeds i have a few extra if interested.[/QUOTE]

you should drop that potted one off in MOreno valley, at this point I won't be seeing anything of of my reapers until september

heirloomtomaguy May 23, 2014 01:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=gssgarden;412287]Bill, Same with me. Was afraid it wouldn't produce but when mid to late summer came, BAM!! she popped! Got a good amount too!!

Julia, looking at old pics, I bet it got 2 1/2 feet tall. Not near 4 feet though. Never heard of any pepper getting that big.

If you cut it properly, and avoid as much heat as you can, it does have a fruity flavor to it.....followed by the flavor of DEATH!! ;)

Greg[/QUOTE]
So i dont have a pic of my bhut jolokia however here is a pic of my carolina reaper in a 15 gallon pot. This guy got over 5 ft tall with a stem thicker than an inch. Also here is a pic of a few of the peppers that came off of this beast.

epsilon May 23, 2014 02:19 AM

wow wow wee waa! That thing gets huge!

PA_Julia May 23, 2014 07:14 AM

My God that's a tall pepper plant!! The pepper itself looks
like a killer, literally! :yes:

peppero May 23, 2014 07:20 AM

Re; 4ft. I have grown tabasco over 4ft and my mother had chiltepin peppers in the 7 to 8 ft range.

jon

jack03111969 May 23, 2014 07:44 AM

[URL=http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/Jack_Holderman/media/IMG_20131006_130558_zpsfeef8afc.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y385/Jack_Holderman/IMG_20131006_130558_zpsfeef8afc.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My bhuts got over 6 feet last year