Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Pruden's Purple - 100 days from seed to ripe fruit (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28812)

Marko June 24, 2013 06:09 AM

Pruden's Purple - 100 days from seed to ripe fruit

I still can't believe - this is the earliest large tomato I ever grew.
Plants were started on March 15 and were under 400 watt HPS light for two weeks. They were extremely fast growing and on April 11 I planted tomatoes in containers outside. I placed containers next to the south wall of house where they have sun all day and are protected from cold winds.
Four days ago I noticed two fruits were changing color and yesterday I picked first ripe fruit. Pruden's Purple will sure be my choice for eary tomatoes in next years!

I also have two PP plants in the ground, they have fruits but no signs of ripening yet.

ScottinAtlanta June 24, 2013 09:04 AM

That's great to hear. I lost 3 of my PP plants to some kind of wilting disease - it was the first and fastest to go down.

I was disappointed in its fragility, but we have had a very wet and humid spring here in the Deep South.

Salsacharley June 24, 2013 02:35 PM

I got a "slicing mix" packet of seeds containing Ananas Noir, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Hungarian Heart, and Prudens Purple. I sowed 12 seeds from the packet in a effort to get at least one plant of each variety. Now they are all growing well, but only have flowers.

Is PP a PL? I thought it was. All the others are RL. If it is PL, I only got one, doggone it.

Tormato June 25, 2013 02:19 PM

It's a PL.

Close to 100 days from seed is what I expect of it. About 4 weeks as a seedling, and then about 70 days after transplanting to ripe fruit. The earliest "superb" tasting tomato I've ever tried.

Dr. L:love:ve Apple

ChilliJez June 25, 2013 04:21 PM

[QUOTE=Tormato;358650]It's a PL.

The earliest "superb" tasting tomato I've ever tried.

Dr. L:love:ve Apple[/QUOTE]

A statement like that from an expert makes me sit up and take notice!::D

Sun City Linda June 25, 2013 08:26 PM

I am not an expert but I have grown a few tomatoes and Prudens Purple is one of two favorites for large tomatoes. The other would be Stump of The World.

FILMNET June 25, 2013 08:37 PM

Marko, i like to see you.
I love the pepper you send to me!!!!

spacetogrow June 25, 2013 09:48 PM

100 days from seed to ripe fruit? Impress the heck out of me!

pinklady5 June 26, 2013 09:20 AM

Prudens Purple did great for me and I remember it was one of the earliest in my garden as well. Sorry I didn't grow it again this year.

Tormato June 26, 2013 12:17 PM

DTM from seed can be real variable.

As an example, one year I gave seed of PP to a local gardening friend. He started seed the last week of March. I started seed about May 1st. He gave me an extra plant that he had left over at transplant time (about June 1st). I transpanted his 9 week old plant and my 4 week old plant side-by-side that same day. His plant had ripe fruit only 6 days earlier than my plant, although he started seed 5 weeks earlier.

Gary

Alfredo June 27, 2013 04:23 AM

Pruden's Purple is definitely one of my favorites.

eatmoreyeah June 27, 2013 04:37 AM

Prudens as I've stated in another thread a while back is great tomato. Not only is it very early for such a large tomato, mainly 12-20 ounces but the production and taste make it a must grow in my garden every year. I didn't plant out PP in my Spring garden, but it will be sowed soon for the upcoming Fall tomato patch.

Charles