Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Iznik Cucumbers...love them!!! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=23639)

buckeyegirl June 26, 2012 11:26 AM

Iznik Cucumbers...love them!!!

2 Attachment(s)
Harvested my first cukes and...

The Iznik cucumbers were AWESOME! Love them...super prolific, great sweet flavor, crisp, very thin skinned, and no bitterness. No need to peel them at all. I harvested them at right about 4" long and they were perfect, I would say grab them at 3-4" but not really larger. I have 4 plants and there must be no less than 40 or 50 "baby" cukes already...I just seeded for four additional "later" plants and these have definitely won a large, permanent place in my garden.

Highly recommended!

JamesL June 26, 2012 01:45 PM

Samantha,
Thanks for sharing. How large did the plants themselves grow?

buckeyegirl June 26, 2012 03:38 PM

Right now they are about 2 feet per vine, and still growing...planted 7 weeks ago from seed.

JamesL June 26, 2012 04:13 PM

Thanks. Eyeballing them for containers (pickles) next season and looking for something smaller.

buckeyegirl June 26, 2012 08:13 PM

I think they would work in a container if you trellised or put them on an obelisk, they are definitely smaller vines than my Diva or Burp,ess Beaty, but still larger than what the seed packet said they would get :)

mdvpc June 26, 2012 08:30 PM

James-Spacemaster may be an option for you. I have grown it several times in a container-5 gallon.

JamesL June 27, 2012 12:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you both!
Already thinking about next year's expansion plants and cukes are on the short list.
I was eyeballing Raybo's Sweet Success cukes on his thread, and they are just massive in plant and cuke size.
[URL]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=23397[/URL]

Growing in Raybo style Earthtainers as well and wondering if I can get 4 in a 20 gal tub. I think I can.. I think you could easily grow this one in 5 gal buckets too.

I like the smaller cukes better and Samantha, with your glowing review and yield results, I might not have to look any further than the Iznik!

(Attached is a post storm pic from last Friday before I got my cage extensions on. Had some damage as evident by the broken branches, but everyone taped up fine.)

buckeyegirl June 27, 2012 08:59 AM

Wow, James! Your container tomatoes look wonderful, and very healthy! Good luck in your cucumber hunt, and definitely give Iznik a try!

JamesL June 27, 2012 10:20 AM

Thanks. They are doing real well, although we haven't made it to harvest yet.
I attribute any success I have to the "brain trust" that exists on this board.:)

sprtsguy76 June 27, 2012 11:02 AM

Another fan here of Inzik. I just pulled my 2 plants the other day. Vines got about 4 feet long. Good production too. If you like Inzik I would suggest Rocky Hybrid as well, which is my favorite for smaller tasty varieties.

Damon

lakelady July 2, 2012 09:53 PM

That looks like a nice cuke! This is my first year growing OP cucumbers and I've got 3 plants because supposedly the ones I'm growing are really productive, and I'm hoping to make pickles :)

chancethegardener July 3, 2012 01:33 AM

I really liked the crispness and taste of Iznik, too. I only wish that it wasn't a hybrid variety.

feldon30 July 3, 2012 08:22 AM

[QUOTE=buckeyegirl;286486]The Iznik cucumbers were AWESOME![/QUOTE]
Might have to add it to my list, which is currently limited to Poona Kheera.

JamesL July 3, 2012 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=chancethegardener;288028]I really liked the crispness and taste of Iznik, too. I only wish that it wasn't a hybrid variety.[/QUOTE]

For seed saving purposes? Any other reason?

Making a note to look at Rocky hybrid per Damon as well......

JamesL July 3, 2012 09:38 AM

[QUOTE=feldon30;288058]Might have to add it to my list, which is currently limited to Poona Kheera.[/QUOTE]

Feldon,
I just looked up the Poona Kheera. Interesting! How big do the vines get?