Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Seed & Plant Sources (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   First gardens alive order (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20672)

bustani.mama December 26, 2011 03:21 AM

First gardens alive order

Has anyone ordered from them? What's the quality like?

In my mind the shipping charges when getting small things do seem somewhat excessive (is it really 10 bucks to send a seedling tray? That really jacks up the price when I can get nearly the same thing from a local store for less then that!)

Anyway I used that 25 bucks free that came with the catalogue it seemed to take just fine didn't see the charge on my card right away (was like 2 bucks) also have after 30 min have yet to get the confirm email but it "looks" like my order took by there system

I decided to (in the end lol) get a goji berry plant and some herb fert

I was tempted to get raspberries to put in a big container (said were zone 4 hardy) or a lilac (my mom loves them) that would bloom 2 times a year or the 55 seedling tray thing but as soon as I added a 3 buck pack of seeds I went from owing 2 bucks to owing 8 bucks so lol picked something I wanted and something I think is pratical lol

The fert should be here next month the plant in the beginning of April

Does anyone have experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OneDahlia December 26, 2011 07:07 AM

I've ordered from them several times -- usually the Tomatoes Alive and Vegetables Alive fertilizer, the Pyola spray and BT. I'm still pretty new and don't have much to compare to, but I've been happy with these items. I try to wait for sales or coupon codes because their regular prices + shipping seem pretty high.

dustyrivergarden December 26, 2011 08:42 AM

I have ordered things from them before but if your near a nursery you should be able to get something about like it for less. I get some row cover from them when they offer it cheaper than I can get it anywhere else. They take forever for delivery and no I do not think its a place I would spend much money at. Sorry there a thumbs down from me...

carolyn137 December 26, 2011 09:33 AM

[URL]http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=22&gs_id=1s&xhr=t&q=gardens+alive+ownership&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=gardens+aliveownership&aq=0lv&aqi=g-lv1&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=665329a2f257563d&biw=757&bih=403[/URL]

I decided to go to the website last night and couldn't believe what I saw. It was a totally different company from what I knew at one time, when I ordered just a bit and decided the prices were much too high and some of the products dubious, at least to me.

The link above shows the companies that Gardens Alive has acquired.

If it were me I wouldn't buy any lilacs or Goji Berry Shrubs or Raspberry bushes or anything like that there b'c you can get the same at other places for quite a bit less.

Two suggestions:

Miller's Nursery in NYS, I'm sure online although I didn't check

Jung's main catalog, also online I'm sure.

Looks like they're now affiliated, in some way, with 14 other companies. And now I remember someone saying they could do that from the profits from selling a lot at a higher price than most others.;)

[URL]http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/146/[/URL]

I want catalogs, I don't want to sit here and stare at a Monitor.:lol:

bustani.mama December 26, 2011 10:05 AM

Lol well the nurseries around me I have NEVER even seen tags for goji at before if I don't like it's 2 bucks lost and I could demand a refund on the order no? I think ATM the big thing is the so called "$25" savings

I'll admit I made the purchase at like. 3am I have yet to see anything in my inbox when I looked at my balance online to sort what was left in there and it looked like the charge wasn't there but it looked like it took on there end --if it dosent show within a day or so I'll email them about it

RayR December 26, 2011 10:52 AM

I've ordered stuff from Gardens Alive! a few years ago, Pyola, Tomatoes Alive! Plus, Escar-Go! Supreme, Sea Rich, Soap-Shield and maybe a few others. I never had a problem. Their products are of very good quality, no complaints there, many are branded and packaged under the Garden's Alive! name, but are manufactured by other companies.
I've ordered seed from Gurney’s and Henry Fields before also, all was good there too.
They all run those same coupon deals throughout the year, and that's the best time to buy.

Heritage December 26, 2011 12:11 PM

[QUOTE=RayR;245214]... Escar-Go! ...[/QUOTE]

Ha! What a great name.:)

bustani.mama December 26, 2011 01:54 PM

Looks like I get to watch for more coupon deals! Lol I've seen one place it's like 100 off an order of 200 which to me is silly because I don't see myself actually buying that much till I know the brand first

And I thought it funny --according to the f word (that's the name of the show) you can catch snails feed them carrots for a while (till poo orange at least) then can fry and eat)

bustani.mama December 27, 2011 11:24 AM

Edit/update

There invoice (that I never received) claims it wasnt paid when I KNOW I entered the credit card info

They did NOT seem to alert me AT ALL till I contacted asking and what I saw on the page did NOT say paid or not!

Are they really this bad? Or is this some fluke? Why didn't they kick me a message RIGHT AWAY that the card didn't take? Granted I ordered at like 3 am and emailed them at like 9pm (same day) the reason I emailed them was that I had seen NO sign of the purchase on my bank or receipt in my inbox

I also think they *may* have added to the cost as I thought it was 2.20 range not 2.85

strax December 27, 2011 11:45 AM

I have ordered from gardens alive a few times. they constantly have coupons and promotions that can vary a good bit. sometimes, you can get a great deal, but they dont make it easy.

I did have one order that i put on a cc, but was not charged to the card. they sent out the order with a bill requesting payment. the bill they sent indicated that a 10% off coupon had been used, although at the time of purchase, i had applied a 20% off coupon. they apologized and fixed the error when i contacted them. dont know if it was an honest mistake or a shady trick, but i havent had any other problems.

Worth1 December 27, 2011 11:54 AM

My wife has ordered from them some time ago and as far as I know never had a problem.
If memory serves me correctly She got a mystery box of heirloom tomato seeds.
No description at all as to what they were.
They sat around for a few years and one day back in me thinks 2002 or 3 I planted the seeds in June.
A tomato popped up and I got this huge red tomato on it.
This is the first so called heirloom tomato I ever grew that I know of.
I have no idea what it was.
That same year me thinks I was looking on the web about peppers and found garden web.
From there I surfed over to the tomato forum.
I thought these people had lost their minds.
They couldn't stay on subject to save their lives.
One minute they would be talking about tomatoes and then they would start up on Pine apple, kelloggs breakfast and then the boondocks.
Then they would go off on fir trees such as silvery fir tree.:lol:
I had no idea that all this time they were talking about tomatoes.

From there I ended up here in 2006.

I know many people that have ordered from gardens alive and they always have good luck so I would say that it is a fluke.

Worth

bustani.mama December 27, 2011 12:38 PM

I hope it's a fluke or I'll have to stick to there limit on prices next time

bustani.mama December 27, 2011 12:45 PM

Another edit/update

1 my mom said I picked the correct numbers on the back of the card (which was the worry that I didn't)

2 they replyied saying that they charge when they ship (and arrival on the fert is slated for dec 31-jan 4 range) so they *should* be shipping soon no? The goji they say will ship in April --or are they gonna ship them together in April?

(you can tell I'm new to this and have FAR more experience with eBay)

bustani.mama January 1, 2012 01:01 PM

Yet another edit/update lol

Looks like herbs alive arrived dec 30 I looked at ups tracking yesterday and saw they claimed it was here but I hadn't seen it (and I get the mail!)

The receipt claims nothing's owed from both tho it looks like they didn't charge? My account after getting a charge 3-4 TIMES my max purchase (which that alone should have flagged my bank!) that caused me to "go under" my card will NOT allow purchases that cause me to go negative (so they claim tho allowed a .25 cent neg once that I caught quick enough)

So does this mean they will charge me when the goji comes? Or are they not charging me at all? --do they have anything to do with the odd call from Cali to my cell? (left a voicemail that I have yet to get to)

dustyrivergarden January 2, 2012 10:32 AM

good luck with that... wow what a mess