Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Tomato Damage (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=16431)

Garf December 8, 2010 09:53 PM

Tomato Damage

2 Attachment(s)
Does this look like insect or bird damage?

mdvpc December 8, 2010 10:47 PM

Looks like bird to me.

ContainerTed December 9, 2010 08:48 AM

The last time I saw that in MY garden, it was a nasty ol HORNWORM. If you also have foliage missing, then look for Hornworms.

Other possibilities would be squirrels or chipmunks.

Ted

Garf December 9, 2010 12:24 PM

I haven't seen hornworms, only fruitworms and lots of birds.

Garf December 10, 2010 12:28 AM

I'm told snails will damage tomato. Has anyone had this happen?

les matzek December 10, 2010 10:09 AM

looke like some of my fruit that chipmonke snack on some times when i am not around.
les

b54red December 10, 2010 10:14 AM

Looks like it could be a number of critters. It could be birds or any type of small rodent from squirrels down to mice.

Heritage December 14, 2010 11:56 AM

[quote=Garf;190815]I'm told snails will damage tomato. Has anyone had this happen?[/quote]

Yes, I've had snail/slug damage similar to the shallow wounds shown in your photos.

I've also had worm damage with those symptoms, but any type of worm damage will usually have telltale signs of worm 'droppings' if you look closely (usually on the leaves immediately below the affected tomato), especially visible with the larger hornworms.

When I see bird damage, the wounds are deeper, more severe, and have a torn look (like a beak made them) as opposed to the shallow wounds shown in your photos. Although, it's difficult to tell - the wounds could have been made by a bird 'sampling' a green tomato and have since healed over. Also, when any of the other, larger critters are interested in your tomatoes, there usually won't be much left to photograph. :)

Since snails/slugs can be almost impossible to find during the day, I usually place a small plastic bucket (upside down) or piece of black plastic on the ground at the base of the damaged tomato plant and then check the next morning to see if any snails/slugs are hiding underneath. If so, I bait with an organic snail bait.

-Steve

Garf February 11, 2011 02:11 PM

I have had birds decimate my tomatoes. There isn't a trace of red left in my garden. I am now armed and ready for war.

feldon30 February 11, 2011 02:41 PM

Locks like mockingbird bites to me. I hate mockingbirds. They don't even sit there and just eat ONE tomato. No, they have to go down the like and peck each one of your tomatoes. To Kill a Mockingbird is not just a book or a movie, it sounds like a plan to me. :)

Garf February 11, 2011 06:29 PM

The Mockingbirds are our state bird. They catch you shooting one of them, you are in deep trouble.

sfmathews February 11, 2011 06:45 PM

Looks like bird pecks to me. At least yours scarred over. They like to wait until mine are just about ripe and peck all over the place. Grrrr...:x

Garf February 28, 2011 07:51 PM

Now there are less birds, and I have a lot of green tomatoes. I also have a new pellet gun if the attacks start again.