Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Peppadew (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=14815)

roper2008 June 11, 2010 02:39 PM

Peppadew

1 Attachment(s)
My Peppadew finally has some small peppers. It grew at a regular pace,
but took a long time to form any peppers. Anybody else growing them,
and do you have peppers yet?

azgirl June 11, 2010 03:59 PM

I planted this as well. So far, my plant is really small and has yet to develop fruit.
Hopefully soon!
Melissa

Jeannine Anne June 11, 2010 04:51 PM

Yes, I have them. I too planted late and my plants are small, my plants are in pots and I intend toi bring them inside over the winter, my understanding from my seed supplier is that they do very well like that.

Do you both have recipes to go with the plants?

XX Jeannine

roper2008 June 11, 2010 05:11 PM

No, I don't have any recipes. They are a pickling pepper, but nobody seems
to know what the pickling ingredients are. I will be overwintering some
of my peppers in my sunroom. If I like the Peppadew, it will be overwintered
also.

Jeannine Anne June 11, 2010 05:20 PM

[quote=roper2008;172138]No, I don't have any recipes. They are a pickling pepper, but nobody seems
to know what the pickling ingredients are. I will be overwintering some
of my peppers in my sunroom. If I like the Peppadew, it will be overwintered
also.[/quote]

I do have a recipe that I got along with my seeds..would you like it?

XX Jeannine

lj in ny June 11, 2010 05:36 PM

I have them too, the plants are about 12" no signs of flowers yet but they look healthy.

roper2008 June 11, 2010 05:40 PM

Sure, what is the recipe?

Thanks

dustdevil June 11, 2010 11:03 PM

Pappadew? I think only the Mammadews form peppers ;-)

heirloomdaddy June 12, 2010 02:02 AM

Nice one dustdevil. Mine are still really small but look fantastic. They just were planted out..probably a little too young but 90% of them made it. These look like they will be robust little pepper machines.

lj in ny July 1, 2010 07:26 PM

Mine are just starting to form flower buds. Plants look nice, big and healthy.

I just found the recipe on another post. It was graciously posted by "Daylilydude" (Thanks Dude!) It doesn't really say how many peppers...I'll keep searching

Peppadew Pickled Peppers

Cut off stem and deseed unless you want burning hot peppers. It's best to use surgical gloves, as the peppers can make your fingers burn. Cut off the stem end and scrape out the seeds with a small teaspoon. Try to remove all the seeds. Dissolve about 4 tablespoons sea salt in just over 2 cups water. (We have metric measurements: 60g salt to 600ml water.

In another submission of this recipe, the author gave the following instructions: Leave overnight in a brine consisting of 2 ounces kosher/coarse salt and about 2 1/3 cups water). Drop peppers into brine after deseeding, and leave them in for a few hours or overnight. (Increase brine mixture according to volume of peppers!) Put a plate or other weight on top if necessary, to stop them from bobbing on top.

Before continuing, be sure your jars, caps and rings are very clean and sterilized in boiling water. Leave in the hot water until ready to fill the jars.

Syrup ingredients:

1-1/2 cups good vinegar, grape or wine or malt (5% acetic acid)

1-1/4 cup sugar

1 cup water

a few pieces sliced fresh ginger

some fresh garlic cloves

2 tablespoons crushed peppercorns (the mixed peppercorns are nice)

some bay or lemon leaves

a little sea salt

Additional ingredients: 2 whole green chili peppers, reserved, optional extra small whole green chili peppers for garnish

Combine the syrup ingredients in a non-reactive pot that is large enough to hold the peppers. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Then bring to a rolling boil. Take care, as the mixture does foam up a bit.

In the meantime, rinse the brined peppers. Place in a colander or sieve and shake to remove as much moisture as possible. Add the peppers along with the green chili peppers to the boiling syrup. Boil for a minute or two. Use a slotted spoon to fill the jars with the peppers. Push them in; you want to fill the bottles nicely! Then pour over the boiling hot mixture. Use a small rubber spatula along with gentle tapping and rotation of the jars in to fill the pepper hollows with the syrup. You can add a green chili to each jar for decorative purposes if you like. Final filling should be to 1/2-inch of the top.

Wipe the rims of the jars. Cap the jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet, 15 minutes from altitudes of 1000 to 6000 feet, and 20 minutes above 6000 feet. Leave for about 2 - 3 weeks before use.

This recipe fills 2 ordinary (supermarket size!) 375 ml bottles, i.e. each about 1 1/2 cups. Don't work with huge quantities -- rather make in smaller batches, it's easier and safer. * I use white grape vinegar because it's pure white. I dislike the cheaper spirit vinegar. Use whatever is available to you. Cider vinegar is also fine, except that it's slightly colored

roper2008 July 3, 2010 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The peppadew looks a little like a miniature bell pepper. I guess you wait
until they get red.

b54red July 4, 2010 03:44 AM

Thanks for the recipe. I have a few of the plants and was wondering what to do with the peppers when they matured.

g8shot1 July 15, 2010 03:44 PM

Peppadew

I think the only way I've seen these were pickled and stuffed with mozzarella then dribbled with olive oil and sprinkled with course black pepper.

heirloomdaddy July 15, 2010 05:32 PM

anybody harvest yet? I'm anxiously awaiting.

roper2008 July 15, 2010 09:45 PM

My plant has lots of peppers but I'm waiting for them to turn red. I'm
assuming they pickle them when they are red.