Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   A Beginners Guide to Growing Chile Peppers. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=1015)

darlochileman April 10, 2006 03:30 PM

A Beginners Guide to Growing Chile Peppers.

Hello everyone.

One of the main reasons for starting the chileman site ([url]www.thechileman.org[/url]) was to try and spread the word that growing chile peppers is both easy and fun.

One of the messages we wanted to get across was that despite all the rhetoric & speal about special soil mixtures, heated propagators and hydroponic solutions, the art of chile growing is a very simple on. If you can grow your toe nails, you can grow chiles!

So in an attempt to demistify the subject we have recently put together a simple and straight forward 'beginners guide to growing chile peppers'

You can find the guide on the following link:

[url]http://www.thechileman.org/guide_home.php[/url]

Although it is aimed at 'newbies' (and will be like teaching you pro's how to suck eggs) we hope you all find it and an easy read and informative.

Enjoy

The Guys from the chileman ([url]www.thechileman.org[/url])

'Trying our best to spread the word that Chile growing is easy & fun'. :D :D

Warped April 10, 2006 06:19 PM

Great stuff :) iv never grown chili and im starting later this year im sure ill read this over and over

darlochileman April 11, 2006 04:56 PM

Excellent,

Thats another willing victim roped into the addictive world of growing chile peppers. Be warned you hobby can quickly turn into a compulsive disorder!!

What are you planning to grow this year?
Do you have any varieties in mind?

Mark

Warped April 11, 2006 06:45 PM

grub sent me some seeds when he sent me GMG :P i forget what they are ill just start with them

HeirloomNewb April 13, 2006 07:23 PM

I'm growing some Fatalii, Lemon Drop (peruvian yellow), Ancho Gigantea, Jalepeno, and Thai Hot. Any good info on any of these such as great uses for them or interesting tid bits?

My fataliis are growing much slower than my other peppers. Out of 5 only one had true leaves when I potted them up. Since the potting up they are starting to take off so I'm hoping they catch up a little. Is this normal for fatalii?

Thanks!

darlochileman April 14, 2006 03:33 AM

Hi,

Fatalli's are very slow growing in my experience and the best pods are produced in year 2 (assuming you successfully overwinter the plant). I live in the UK where the climate is relative cool so this might not hold so true in hot climates.

There is lots of info on these peppers in the databse section (just type in the name/or part of it and search).

Im not afan of Thai hot eaten fresh as I find the taste a bit 'chemically' but they make a great chilli powder when dried and ground.

Lemon Drop is lovely with fish IMHO

Mark :)

nascarmike April 15, 2006 05:19 PM

Excellent web site darlo
I may be hooked.

kimpossible May 11, 2006 09:32 AM

I just had time to look at your website, Mark, & it is great. The content is excellent, and I really like the look of it with the black background, green & white text, & the way you've added the photos, etc. It's in "MY Favourites"!

darlochileman May 13, 2006 07:44 AM

Thank you for your very kind words. Its nice messgaes like that that make all the effort worthwhile.

mark

Organic_Nut May 13, 2006 08:49 AM

Re: A Beginners Guide to Growing Chile Peppers.

[quote=darlochileman]

[url]http://www.thechileman.org/guide_home.php[/url]

:D :D[/quote]

Chileman

Your site is almost impossible to read. REALLY BAD.

white letters on a black background are a very poor choice. I highly recommend you switch to black letters on a white background.

It never seems to amaze me that people post web sites with white letters on black background.

IMPOSSIBLE TO READ.

I love tomatoville. it is so easy to read. I am only here a few days but it is now my favorite web site.

feldon30 May 18, 2006 05:55 PM

The guides aren't very specific. It's all generalities.

You say that it's possible to grow peppers indoors under lights but provide no info that I could find.

darlochileman May 19, 2006 05:29 PM

Organic Nut - Point taken. we are working on it.

feldon27 - The site is aimed at newbies initially to get them interested in the hobby of chile growing. The site has only been live just over 2 months and content is being added all the time. The guides take a lot of work to write (I have a day job and the site is a bit of fun) so bear with us.

A beginners guide to Hydroponics will be available shortly

All the best

Mark

HeirloomNewb May 19, 2006 11:08 PM

I like the white letters on black background 8)

I'm rather light sensitive and find the webpage very easy on the eyes. I also like the database even if there isn't a ton of info on the webpage :arrow:

It is way more than I could get done in 2 months :)

Keep up the good work!

Full Moon May 19, 2006 11:57 PM

Mark,
I am a newbie and appreciate you taking the time to initiate us. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.