Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   The high tunnel. Filled and growing fast (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45113)

clkeiper May 26, 2017 10:26 AM

The high tunnel. Filled and growing fast

6 Attachment(s)
Just what is being done undercover right now.

[attach]73230[/attach]

[attach]73231[/attach]

[attach]73232[/attach]

[attach]73233[/attach]

[attach]73234[/attach]

[attach]73235[/attach]

GrowingCoastal May 26, 2017 11:05 AM

It all looks great. Why corn in a tunnel?

clkeiper May 26, 2017 11:10 AM

because after all the hours and muscles my son put into this tunnel a few rows of corn was all he wanted to try in there. I humored him. but it is also way ahead of any other corn around here, too. there are also peppers, sweet potatoes and candy onions planted around the perimeter

PureHarvest May 26, 2017 11:37 AM

Top notch!

Jimbotomateo May 26, 2017 03:11 PM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;642608]because after all the hours and muscles my son put into this tunnel a few rows of corn was all he wanted to try in there. I humored him. but it is also way ahead of any other corn around here, too. there are also peppers, sweet potatoes and candy onions planted around the perimeter[/QUOTE]

That is so nice and clean looking cl.:yes:. Must be exciting to work in such a wonderful environment. I could spend many hours in there, "working". :lol:. Jimbo :):)

clkeiper May 26, 2017 06:01 PM

Thanks Jimbo... I had a whole day of quiet solitude yesterday to work in there. no customers to speak of and rain most of the day. pulled a lot of little weeds, transplanted a bunch of volunteer peppers I found growing in there and got all the purlins and strings up for the cukes. picked up the tools, materials and trash left over from planting and construction of it.

Worth1 May 28, 2017 08:56 AM

So is that cucumbers on the string or wire?

Worth

imp May 28, 2017 09:37 AM

At least the corn won't get lodged in a high wind.

bower May 28, 2017 09:42 AM

What a great setup. ! :D

I guess what I'm seeing in the row is your drip irrigation system.... the thing we needed, to use plastic mulch in the farm tunnel - and really would have helped this year. :bummer:
The water situation at my friend's farm is less than ideal. It is pumped from a pond, but everything is frozen in early spring so the only early watering is rain barrels and watering cans. I know she uses water sparingly even in summer, I must ask her about that system and what it costs - the pond is pretty far and downhill from the cultivated area.:?!?:

clkeiper May 28, 2017 03:20 PM

Worth, the cucumbers and two rows of tomatoes are on strings and two rows of tomatoes are in crw cages.

Corn should be safe from the wind.

Thanks Bower. That is drip tape in between the rows and also under the plastic mulch too. We have it set up with a header line right through the middle of the tunnel. Tomatoes on one side all the other crops on the other side
Each line off the header has its own valve to irrigate or not when the water is on.

clkeiper June 14, 2017 02:40 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Two weeks worth of growth. I am picking cucumbers and zucchini.
Brass atomic grape? Is it stable? Not what I was expecting.... Cherry tomato was my thought. I guess I will have disappointed a few people this year. Oops.[ATTACH]74068[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]74069[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]74070[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]74071[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]74072[/ATTACH]Brass atomic grape.
Foliage and fruit.

[ATTACH]74073[/ATTACH]

This is one lead in a Brandy Boy.
[ATTACH]74074[/ATTACH]

Barlow jap is way ahead of BrandyBoy in fruit set.

[ATTACH]74075[/ATTACH]

Cole_Robbie June 14, 2017 05:47 PM

Nice pics.

I think you mean [I]Brad's[/I] Atomic Grape. I have it for the first time, too. Alittlesalt posted pics of his that were saladette-sized as well.

clkeiper June 14, 2017 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;647143]Nice pics.

I think you mean [I]Brad's[/I] Atomic Grape. I have it for the first time, too. Alittlesalt posted pics of his that were saladette-sized as well.[/QUOTE]

oops, I didn't read after I posted it... auto correct..... changes many a thing I write into things never typed. thank you.

PureHarvest June 15, 2017 01:09 PM

Beautiful site!

BigVanVader June 15, 2017 01:21 PM

Do you use the umbrella pruning method for your cukes? I'm trying it this year but my plants are hard to keep up with.