Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing for Market (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Cracking --which Varieites better tolerant to Cracking (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43793)

Black Krim February 3, 2017 11:25 AM

Cracking --which Varieites better tolerant to Cracking

Last summer my Black Krim often cracked. Loved the flavor but the cracking allowed molds to thrive in that crack. /puke Lost most of the fruit due to the very dry summer and inability to water enough.

[B]Reading the seed catalogs, sometimes a variety is listed as tolerant to cracking. Im trying to compile a list!!!!![/B] Can be OP or f1.

What are the characteristics of those tomatos that reduces the cracking?? Tough skin? How the water moves thru the stem and leaves???

Fourth of July did well.
Red Currant cracked but still produced lots of fruit when others quit.

gssgarden February 3, 2017 11:50 AM

I don't think I've ever had a Big Beef crack on me yet! :)

Greg

BigVanVader February 3, 2017 01:07 PM

Juliet never crack. I mean how could they; the skin is 6 inches thick.

AKmark February 3, 2017 02:12 PM

In my controlled environment, the varieties I listed in my market thread do not crack much at all. I cannot sell tomatoes with cracks.

Durgan February 3, 2017 02:51 PM

Cracking is usually a moisture situation. Heavy mulching with wood chips reduces the problem, but if there is heavy rainfall then hot Sun cracking is hard to avoid. But this is not a common situation.

Black Krim is my favourite and I usually grow 8 plants or so. They do scar considerably, but picking them early limits cracking.

Black Krim February 3, 2017 02:56 PM

[QUOTE=BigVanVader;615674]Juliet never crack. I mean how could they; the skin is 6 inches thick.[/QUOTE]

LOL How is Juliet when biting into? Like an apple?:lol:

Black Krim February 3, 2017 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=AKmark;615689]In my controlled environment, the varieties I listed in my market thread do not crack much at all. I cannot sell tomatoes with cracks.[/QUOTE]

;)

Black Krim February 3, 2017 03:05 PM

[QUOTE=gssgarden;615655]I don't think I've ever had a Big Beef crack on me yet! :)

Greg[/QUOTE]

Is the skin thick?? Or tough when eating??

Rachidillo August 15, 2017 01:29 PM

Im growing tomatoes, mostly heirlooms in a high tunnel in Sweden. Some of the varieties I grow are prone to cracking, like Sudduth Brandywine, Prudens Purple, Purple Russian and Peacevine. Others like Crnkovic Yugoslavian and Cherokee Purple are doing very well. Green Zebra, Matina and Jaunne Flammee also no cracks. Black Plum, Black Cherry, Sun Gold and Galina Cherry are also on the list of crack free tomatoes if I remember right.

Because we lack a good watering system so far we have quite an extreme watering pattern, watering in a trench with a hose, once a week or less often, which together with our sandy soil is a good recipe for cracking. We try to remediate this mulching but Brandywine and Prudens Purple still crack. We stopped watering for the season for about 10 days ago but we are still getting cracks in some tomatoes when they get fully mature.