Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   What do I do with all these sweet red peppers? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=24901)

koshki September 9, 2012 03:09 PM

What do I do with all these sweet red peppers?

They took forever to get started, but my red pepper plants have started to fill my harvest basket, and I've got lots more on the plants. I'm getting buried in sweet peppers!

I'd love to hear suggestions about how to use these! :yes:

Worth1 September 9, 2012 03:25 PM

I dont know what kind of sweet red peppers you have.
My fault I should go back and look at your posts and I just about bet you have a list of what you have.

BUT it doesn't matter.

I use peppers in everything I cook almost.
Just now I am eating an omelet I cooked using.
Hot peppers I just picked, grated potato, a sausage link stuffed with hatch chilies and cheese with a dollop of apricot preserves.

The sky is the limit.
In spagette sauce, stuffed, layered in lasagna, in salad, in beans, stews, in a beef or pork rhindsrouladen.
Stir fry.
Smoked.
Grilled.
In any pasta sauce.
The more I think the more I come up with.:roll:

Worth

meadowyck September 9, 2012 03:28 PM

Worth I sure wish I was a neighbor of yours, as I would love to be trying some of your creations....LOL

tjg911 September 9, 2012 03:59 PM

i freeze them.

tom

Zana September 9, 2012 04:52 PM

Like Worth I use them in many different dishes. I also cook them down to a paste, with garlic and olive oil and put it in jars that I keep in the fridge. I haven't tried canning them since they don't last long enough....lol

They're also great mixed in a tapenade, with olives, garlic, capers (hot peppers too). Or in caponata / anti pasti. Those you can can in jars and then have them all winter to use in dishes...or for hors d'oevres.

You're only limited by your imagination....and now that you've got me thinking about it, I'm getting hungry. Sighhhhhhhh....lol

Zana

kath September 9, 2012 05:03 PM

They also dry easily for later use in cooking if you don't have enough freezer space and folks probably pickle them, too. I use most of ours raw just sliced and munched or added to salads in copious amounts. Yum...too many sweet red peppers? Not so far!:lol:

Worth1 September 9, 2012 05:14 PM

How about a crab meat/cake Chili Relleno. 8-)

Worth

Zana September 9, 2012 05:19 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;302368]How about a crab meat/cake Chili Relleno. 8-)

Worth[/QUOTE]

OH Man...now I am really getting hungry....sighhhhhhhhhhhh Dang you Worth!

Z

noinwi September 9, 2012 05:23 PM

I char the skin on the grill or under the broiler(if you have a gas range that's even better...just roast over the open flame), place them into a bag or closed container to sweat, then peel, slice into strips and freeze on a cookie sheet. When they're frozen, I put them into freezer bags and have roasted peppers to use all winter long. I add them to just about everything...cream sauces, chicken salad, pizza, sgetti, you name it. Roasting them really brings out the sweetness and flavor.

ChrisK September 9, 2012 06:03 PM

Red pepper pesto. Freezes well!

Texas Blues September 9, 2012 06:36 PM

Julienned and sauteed in olive oil with onions and garlic, and slapped on a corn tortilla with goat cheese.

Stuffed with couscous, diced tomato, jalapeno, feta, and baked.

Roast 'em and peel 'em and use 'em on everthang!

Pizza. Tacos. Burgers. BLT's.

I have a tomato gratin I'm going to do this week.

How about a sweet pepper gratin?

koshki September 9, 2012 06:55 PM

Wow, what a lot of great ideas! Thanks everyone!

I love my tomato/red pepper and chive salad (all from my garden), but there is a limit to how many times I can feed that to my family!

Baja_Traveler September 10, 2012 01:20 PM

I grow baby bells -

Cook bacon really soft, then stuff the sweet pepper with your favorite cheese (smoked Gouda for me) and wrap it with a slice of bacon, pinning it together with a tooth pick.
Toss the peppers on the grill in indirect or medium heat just long enough to crisp up the bacon and melt the cheese.
Goes fantastic with a steak...

[IMG]http://www.pbase.com/image/145963841.jpg[/IMG]

shelleybean September 10, 2012 06:57 PM

If I remember correctly there are some good pimento cheese recipes on this site somewhere. As long as they're sweet, they'll work.

Worth1 September 10, 2012 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=shelleybean;302571]If I remember correctly there are some good pimento cheese recipes on this site somewhere. As long as they're sweet, they'll work.[/QUOTE]

1 part mayonnaise and one part sweet red pepper to 4 parts grated cheese of your choice, (I like Butterkase or sharp cheddar).
Jarlsberg would be a good choice too.:yes:
Mix.
Make sandwich out of toasted ciabatta bread with a lice of pancetta and the above spread.

Its just that easy. ;)
And fattening too.:roll:

Worth