Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Undercover Gardening™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Greenhouse pics :) (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=4922)

bizzarbazzar April 18, 2007 02:48 PM

Greenhouse pics :)

The one camera is not seeing the docking station I had to use my old camera. But I think the pics are clear enough that you can tell what they are supposed to be. There is still clean up to do and the ceramic heaters are there to supplement the baseboard heaters while we are having a major cold spell. The back wall seperates my house from the neighbor yard and we are stuck with it. The other wall goes to the garage from the greenhouse but the garage has other doors. The bed in the front of the greenhouse is all a garlic bed, and the garlic is starting to sprout, and that nasty fence is coming down and being pushed back to out property line which is 40 feet furthur back. then to close off we think we will be attaching the fence to the end of the garage. Yes the house is a log cabin and you can see parts of it in the pics looking out from the greenhouse. Skylights will be added but for now we have supplemental lighting as we have only put a few of the skylights in right now. The window is a manual vent and the one skylight will be a craqnk vent and we will upgrade much of it next year. The wood is treated wood as other materials were rejected since I have as historical house/property
[IMG]http://www.ssb5.net/users/17966/dsc00541.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.ssb5.net/users/17966/dsc00540.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.ssb5.net/users/17966/dsc00538.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.ssb5.net/users/17966/dsc00539.jpg[/IMG]

dcarch April 18, 2007 03:02 PM

Super beautiful!:!: :!: :!: :mrgreen:

dcarch

Rena April 18, 2007 03:09 PM

I love it... I would move the plants over, put a bed and sleep in there!!:D Growing up I always wanted to live in our small greenhouse but my Dad wouldn't let me :roll: :lol: :lol:

bizzarbazzar April 18, 2007 03:37 PM

Thank you :)

I told DH I cant wait until his day off and he can watch kidlet and I can hang out in there :) We keep changing the high/low settings on the thermostats, now its 60 low and 75 high. yesterday it was 75 high and 55 low. I cant make up my mind.

It took us awhile for me to decide on everything and how I wanted it, but once I decided the guys had it up in 1 weekend (framing and all) I am proud of them. Even more so since next year we will be building another one in the far back of the yard, now that the guys know what they can accomplish :)

Thomas April 19, 2007 07:40 AM

Looks great Bizz, where are the other 1000 baby mater plants? :D

If it still cold there, make sure you put something under the pots like a towel. The concrete will transfer the cold ground right up through those pots, even if you are heating the room.

Glad to see you got it done;)

Thomas

dcarch April 19, 2007 08:11 AM

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]BB,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Quick suggestion:[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Are those corrugated clear panels? The ones HD sells are UV protected. Are those UV protected?[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I cannot tell how the panels are attached to the framing, but it looks like there is a lot of leakage for cold air to come in.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Get some clear window film from most hardware stores and tape the film inside the GH. You will immediately, quickly, and inexpensively have a nice insulated GH.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]If your panels are UV rated, the clear film will last a long time.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Google how painters stretch canvas on frames. The film will stretch perfectly flat and tight; you hardly know it’s there.[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]dcarch[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]

bizzarbazzar April 19, 2007 01:04 PM

Hi there hehehe Thomas, I still have plants gallore in the house that were sown later and still itty bitty. They will eventually make it out there :)

I put cardboard under the plants when I heard we were getting a cold spell coming through too. I hope that helps, i can even cover the cardboard with a towel, since I used to sell linens when I owned Bizzarbazzar I have at least 100 or so towels that take up space :)

DCARCH, it is UV protected panels however the 1st panel up was placed backwords, SO the UV on that panel is on the INSIDE of the greenhouse? I cant complain to the boys just yet though. They may get a little upset at me. I bought these little foam things that we put at the top and bottom to prevent air leaking but I do notice some air leaks and I love the idea of the clear film. I did the windows in the house this year with something that I used a hairdryer and it did a "shrink fit" to the window. I do know I need to do something because the heaters have been on 24/7 for 3 days and my electric bill is going to be very high I think. Thank you for the idea :)

Maybe today I will go pick some up :)

Sherry_AK April 19, 2007 01:41 PM

Good job ... very nice!

mdvpc April 19, 2007 02:38 PM

BB-I was just in Jackson, and we hit snow driving back to Salt Lake. I can admire anyone growing tomatoes in Montana, unless your climate is very different from Jackson and that part of Montana. Nice photos.

bizzarbazzar April 19, 2007 04:15 PM

Thanks Sherry and MDVPC :)

The climate here is rough and we are a mile high. Last year we had jugs of water that we ran warm from the faucet and remay and kept changing them throughout the night for about a month. We have snow on the ground now and May 28th we had snow last year. But its definately worth it for me. Being only my 2nd year gardening in MT I am learning a lot, as the climates in AZ and CA were much more favorable. But on a lighter note I did well with many late season varieties last year and have more this year as well as some early season varieties to balance it all out. Now if I can figure out what to do about those grasshoppers, I think I can have the best season ever :)

dcarch April 19, 2007 05:04 PM

[quote=bizzarbazzar;55125]---------- Now if I can figure out what to do about those grasshoppers, I think I can have the best season ever :)[/quote]
Post a question in the "Recipes" Forum? :arrow: :lol:

dcarch

Worth1 April 19, 2007 05:07 PM

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worth

bizzarbazzar April 20, 2007 10:18 AM

[quote=dcarch;55132]Post a question in the "Recipes" Forum? :arrow: :lol:

dcarch[/quote]

Yucky, that isnt quite what I meant about the greasshoppers DCARCH :dizzy:

hehehe Im not wanting too cook and/or eat the things. I would prefer if they just disappear,

Thank you Worth :)

montanamato April 20, 2007 12:27 PM

Looks good Heather....The weather is taking a turn for the good and should be in the 70's next week with lows above freezing here, you are probably still freezing for awhile though...I am nearly getting brave enough to plant a few cabbage and broccoli into the cold frame...I think you will really get good use out of your greenhouse this fall....I gave up asking for one years ago...

Jeanne