Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Zone 6 - 7ers ... (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=560)

Tomstrees February 27, 2006 09:47 AM

Zone 6 - 7ers ...

Anyone else start their seeds yet ?
I started yesterday ...
I had in my notes from last season
to start a week earlier ...
Here I am on Monday with 84 peat pots
waitng for greenie heads to pop up!
Anyone else get started ? > Tom

Tania February 27, 2006 10:51 AM

Zone 7b, pacific northwest----

I started most of the seeds in mid-Feb, although I am sure I could have waited for another couple of weeks :wink: . Weather permitting these will go into the garden in late April/early May.

Some early and dwarf varieties were started on January 2, and already show flower buds - these will go into pots into a cold frame on a balcony, in hopes of getting early May maters (worked last year for me)

Good luck with your seedlings!

geol February 27, 2006 11:14 AM

I usually wait 3-4 more weeks, but maybe I'll try a few earlier starts this year as well. Still have the reminants of a sow pile on my drive.

nctomatoman February 27, 2006 11:16 AM

Yes! About 6000 seedlings up and growing - most have spent some time in the sun, wind, etc, but they are currently under shop lights while I am away on business. All is growing well - true leaves are on hot peppers, tiny true leaves on tomatoes - transplanting starts next weekend!

giardiniere February 27, 2006 11:50 AM

I started four varieties of toms and Genovese basil over the weekend.

My Jimmy Nardello's and Keystone Giant peppers were started late last week, and as I peeked under the plastic wrap this morning, it appears they are just starting to germinate.

The eggplant that were started two weeks ago, are looking good. They're growing slow, but that's OK. They won't go into the ground until around May 1.

tanagerzoo February 27, 2006 12:11 PM

I start tomatoes every year on March 14 or the weekend closest to that date. My LFD is April 25, but I usually wait to plant until Mother's Day to give the soil a little bit longer to warm up.

But, I've already got 7 trays of seeds in the basement (my laBORatory as DH calls it) under lights--broccoli, onions, and a host of different flower varieties.

Christine

Tomstrees February 27, 2006 12:20 PM

am I under the impression that I started too early ?
Now what ???!!!
I keep seeing different last frost dates -
I was planning on getting them out last week
of April or first week of May - weather depending ~ Tom

geoguy_TN February 27, 2006 12:28 PM

I usually look at the long-range forcast a week or two before the last average frost date and put the plants in the garden accordingly. The 10-day forcast is so often right, you know :roll: . I got burned big time last year with a late frost so i will probably put them out even earlier this year (always go contrarian). I started my seeds a week ago - everything has come out except for green zebra. I'm in zone 7A.

Tomstrees February 27, 2006 12:29 PM

also I just found this on GW ~
--------------------Last ---- First
Newark NJ 219 Apr. 4 Nov. 10

geol February 27, 2006 12:55 PM

Tom, If I remember crrectly, there was a cold snap in Newark 2nd wk in April last yr. Night temps in low 30's then warmed steadily from there. I need to start keeping better notes. anyhow those are just averages, and I will be stating a few a little earlier this year.

Tomstrees February 27, 2006 12:59 PM

geol -

Where are you @ in NJ ? And whats your start date ? ~ Tom ...

ps. dang I'm such a novice ~ I'm thinking I live by the bayshore ...
my notes from 2005 say start a week earlier ... I see April 4th ...
my juices get goin ! I'm sticking it out ...
I don't think I have a choice at this point !

geol February 27, 2006 01:26 PM

Tom, I am 15 min south of Newark airport. Usually start my seeds mid-March, but often could have started sooner.Just checked last yrs notebook. Starting date - 3/27 and list of varieties - no other entries.
Note to self- keep better notes.
I remember last yr plants were a little on the small side when set out, but can't remember what day that was.

Tomstrees February 27, 2006 01:33 PM

huh geol ...
Ok , I live in Union Beach ...
Last year I started on March 6th ...
Transplants were a good size ...
about 8inches+ ...
I did alot of traveling so I couldnt get my
plants in until May 14th -
(the first week was for hardening off) ...
I'm thinking maybe I could get them
in the last week of April, or the first week
of May (weather depending) ...
I'm sticking to my plan ... If plants fall off
I'll just replant ~
Tom

geol February 27, 2006 02:00 PM

Tom, just started a few earlies. Will start a 2nd flush in 3 wks. just in case. April 30 set out seems to ring a bell for last year, but I'm not sure. I had really taken my tomatos for granted in the past, getting a computer has been a real eye-opener. You don't know what you don't know.