Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=11841)

Penny July 28, 2009 07:15 AM

That looks so good.

gssgarden August 1, 2009 01:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I need to work on a few things but it went well.

Here's a pic before, and after..

[ATTACH]10456[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10457[/ATTACH]

Ok, here's what I did wrong....

Too small of a pan. Maybe I should get one of those disposable roasting pans? I ruined wifey's brownie pan. It was so bad that even she said, just throw it out.

Too many Jalapeno's for that size pan. BUT It made a GREAT Fra Diavolo sauce.

Cooked it WAY to long. Three hours and a half and all I got was this bowl. Really doesn't get much easier to make great sauce.

I'll try it later in the week the correct way.

Greg

tjg911 August 1, 2009 08:16 PM

that is one great looking sauce, you're making my mouth water. i wish i knew this in past years when i used to give away so many tomatoes that i couldn't eat. i have made sauce on top of the stove but never cared for it. this sauce looks amazing! i doubt i'll have enough tomatoes this year with LB effecting my plants but i have been able to have some for sandwiches. if not this year then next year.

tom

TheClaw August 1, 2009 10:08 PM

[quote=gssgarden;139805]Well, I need to work on a few things but it went well.

Here's a pic before, and after..

[ATTACH]10456[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10457[/ATTACH]

Ok, here's what I did wrong....

Too small of a pan. Maybe I should get one of those disposable roasting pans? I ruined wifey's brownie pan. It was so bad that even she said, just throw it out.

Too many Jalapeno's for that size pan. BUT It made a GREAT Fra Diavolo sauce.

Cooked it WAY to long. Three hours and a half and all I got was this bowl. Really doesn't get much easier to make great sauce.

I'll try it later in the week the correct way.

Greg[/quote]

Greg,

Did you weigh the tomatoes going in or the sauce coming out?

The sauce looks very concentrated and I am sure it is delicious. Intertesting that you mention Fra Diavolo sauce, as I was thinking about that myself just this past week and I have not had it in decades. I agree that the oven roasted sauce would make a great Fra Diavolo. I think I would have it with shrimp as I have in the past. I remember that the oven roasted sauce thickens quickly toward the end. I'm sure you are getting tuned in and getting the hang of it now. I am also confident that each batch you do will improve similar to my experience. Try tastking it after the first hour and a half or so and you can season it and fine tune it to your liking.

I would have to look at my pictures again, but I seem to recall that I did not fill the lasagna pan more than two thirds or so.

Please let us know how the subsequent batches work out for you.

Regards,
Howard

habitat_gardener August 2, 2009 02:59 AM

Greg, Both versions look delicious -- the "before" one looks like a great tomato salad!

Maybe a glass baking dish would work better? I'm planning to try some later in the week.

recruiterg August 16, 2009 09:27 AM

I just made this recipe over the weekend. The final product is very intense and sweet. Absolutely outstanding!!!

One thought would be to add some red wine to counterbalance the sweetness of the tomatoes. Thoughts?

Tormato August 18, 2009 04:19 PM

:roll: EASY-BAKE oven roasted tomato sauce is what I'll be having, with 2009's dismal harvest.

:roll: :roll: With a 40 watt light bulb at that.

T:(rmat:(

gssgarden August 18, 2009 07:05 PM

That sauce was put over Linguini and Shrimp!! YUUUUMMM!!

Howard, yes, it was very thick. I really didn't think about pan size. Next time I'll use one of the cheap roaster pans that I can toss away after.

I'd stay away from glass pans. Maybe too much clean-up? I was happy to throw away the last one. It was old anyway.

Red Wine? I don't see why not. In fact, I would probably try it ina little side bowl first to see.

Just loved the ease of this. It also means longer shelf life for my jars of sauce. Sometimes I don't want to waste them.

Greg

Moonglow August 18, 2009 07:20 PM

[quote=gssgarden;141814]

Red Wine? I don't see why not. In fact, I would probably try it ina little side bowl first to see.

Greg[/quote]

Greg, I have tried this last year with whatever wine I was drinking at that time, and it was yummy.

After tasting something similar with VODKA, I cannot wait to try!

TightenUp April 30, 2013 09:23 AM

some good info here. bringing it back to the top

kilroyscarnival May 2, 2013 05:09 PM

Indeed, thanks, Jeff.

I may be tempted to add thyme to the roasting pan and keep the basil for adding at the last minute, as I prefer it fresh and bright. Looks excellent.

TightenUp May 2, 2013 05:13 PM

[QUOTE=kilroyscarnival;345119]Indeed, thanks, Jeff.

I may be tempted to add thyme to the roasting pan and keep the basil for adding at the last minute, as I prefer it fresh and bright. Looks excellent.[/QUOTE]

absolutely!!

Dak May 3, 2013 11:00 PM

I am so looking forward to trying this recipe. This is going to be the year of canned tomato sauce, dried tomatoes and frozen sauces!

Tracydr May 3, 2013 11:43 PM

Now I really need to go out and seed some basil in the garden tomorrow!

Tracydr May 3, 2013 11:48 PM

Freezing the tomatoes first will make the skins slip off and also help to remove a lot of the water. When they thaw, its easy to squeeze the seeds out prior to putting them in the pan.
An immersion blender can do a quick job at pureeing the sauce if you don't have a food mill.