Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   It's a great year for Pecans (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48301)

Rajun Gardener October 21, 2018 11:38 AM

It's a great year for Pecans

8 Attachment(s)
All of the trees are raining pecans!!! It must've been the cold from last year that got them back on track. You can't walk under any tree without stepping on a pecan. I barely picked from the two trees near the house and filled two crawfish sacks so far. There's 11 trees and all of them are loaded.

imp October 21, 2018 12:24 PM

Tes, yours looks like mine does, stand in one spot and pick up a big old bunch. Pecans are one of my favorite nuts.

PhilaGardener October 21, 2018 09:13 PM

Wow! Those look great! If only those were hardy up here in PA . . .

Worth1 October 21, 2018 09:20 PM

[QUOTE=PhilaGardener;717681]Wow! Those look great! If only those were hardy up here in PA . . .[/QUOTE]
Eat your heart out.:lol:
Fantastic in my neck of the woods too.
Unlike last year which was poor to mediocre.

Worth

Rajun Gardener October 21, 2018 09:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm shipping and cheaper than [URL="https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fresh-2018-Georgia-Pecans-Organic-10-Whole-In-Shell-PAWNEE-Large-1-Nuts/173593168484?hash=item286af58a64:g:CLYAAOSwuGhbxxNQ:rk:2:pf:0"]Ebay[/URL].

imp October 21, 2018 10:55 PM

One year was so many pecans, the ones I missed ( got tired of picking them up!!), sold seedlings dug up out of my yard on ebay. Sold a lot of them, too.

Philagradener, which zone number are you in?

b54red October 22, 2018 07:46 AM

In my neighborhood the trees put on a lot of nuts this year. Sadly the nearby trees were picked clean by the resurgent squirrel population. I guess it’s time to start seriously thinning them if I want to grow any broccoli,cauliflower, cabbage or Brussels sprouts this year. They have been raiding my few fall tomatoes that survived Michael since the pecans are gone.

Bill

Raiquee October 22, 2018 09:15 PM

How much you charging Rajun? ;)

I also wish they grew up here. I think I did see a zone 5 hardy one...

Worth1 October 23, 2018 06:37 AM

Started to pick pecans.
Saw a squirrel.
Then another.
Then I was surrounded by them and they were moving closer.
White shiny teeth flashing in the sunlight.
Tails twitching in rhythm.
Many in trees looking at me.
Birds not singing.
All was quite.
Dropped bag of pecans and slowly backed out of the circle of angry squirrels.
Lucky to get out alive.

PhilaGardener October 23, 2018 06:48 AM

[QUOTE=imp;717688]Philagradener, which zone number are you in?[/QUOTE]

USDA now says 7a but those polar vortexes seem to take out anything that is marginal; in practice I think 6ish is more consistent with experience.

Even though there are some cold-hardy varieties, I have yet to find a tree near me to confirms that - but probably need to go looking again. :yes:

Worth1 October 23, 2018 07:03 AM

Just so as you all know that dont know it takes two trees to have pecans you cant grow just one unless there are other pecans in the area.
Not self pollinating.
All pecan seeds nuts if you may are crosses and will not come true to the original nut.
It is a toss up as to what genetics will make the nut from that tree.
Some good some not so good.
Had one tree at one place I lived that each one had three nuts in it not two.

imp October 23, 2018 10:40 AM

There are some self pollinating pecans available to buy ( Stark Bro.s for one),and in so far as a pecan tree growing true, they can if there is only the one type growing near per Texas A&M.

Philagardens, if you want some seedlings for pecans, let me know later. Be glad to mail you some. We get snow and though it doesn't last as long as yours, we also get fierce cold sometimes, too, so these are quite cold hardy.