Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   WHat is the best seed starter mix (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=51296)

jkgrower November 28, 2021 10:34 AM

WHat is the best seed starter mix

I had been using Jiffy mix but last year had bad luck just wondering what everyone thinks is the best mix for starting seeds

KarenO November 28, 2021 10:42 AM

Did you use the specific jiffy seed starting mix?
I like it and use that or sometimes other brands of specifically labelled seed starting mix and also compressed pellets for various things. What problems did you experience?
KarenO

jkgrower November 28, 2021 11:02 AM

I have used the jiffy organic mix and the compressed pellets I had poor germination and poor root growth I have had success in the past with Jiffy

Labradors2 November 28, 2021 11:17 AM

I use the Pro Mix HP in the greyish bag. High Porosity means that you probably won't over-water the little seedlings. That comes later for me when I pot up into a different medium and drown everything!!!!

Linda

edweather November 28, 2021 11:53 AM

On a whim, bought a bag of this a couple of years ago and my tomato seedlings grew great. Good color with stocky stems. Already have a bag for this year.

[url]https://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Gro-Seed-Starting-8-qt-Potting-Soil-Mix-74978500/204502223[/url]

Greatgardens November 29, 2021 02:46 AM

I still like the bagged Burpee's Coir Organic Seed Starting mix, adding a little extra perlite. That said, if I had Pro Mix HP available, I'm sure it would be great.

PaulF November 29, 2021 10:02 AM

Whatever is the least expensive regular potting mixes have always done well for me. There are some rougher and chunkier than others but the rocks and pieces of wood just get removed.

The times I tried a seed starter mixes (several different brands) germination and growth were no better than potting mix and a couple of times much worse than usual.

It is time to test again the seed starter. Jiffy is not one of my favorites so I guess Pro Mix HP will get the attempt this year or MG seed starter.

ScottinAtlanta November 29, 2021 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=Labradors2;766195]I use the Pro Mix HP in the greyish bag. High Porosity means that you probably won't over-water the little seedlings. That comes later for me when I pot up into a different medium and drown everything!!!!

Linda[/QUOTE]

I pot up with Pro Mix HP, but it seems too chunky to use as a seed starting medium. Do you spend time picking out the chunks?

Labradors2 November 29, 2021 01:08 PM

I start my seeds on damp paper towel, so they already have a little root and a bit of green showing. I just push aside any chunks when I am planting the tiny seedlings with a pointed knife.

Linda

Labradors2 November 29, 2021 01:09 PM

Sorry for the duplicate.

dmforcier November 29, 2021 02:56 PM

I use MG Seed Starting Potting Mix. It's finer than their regular potting mix.

But seedlings are tough and don't seem to care much one way or the other.

Tormato November 29, 2021 03:52 PM

After seeing inconsistency in other brands, I use PRO-MIX BX, and have never looked back.

gardenmermaid November 29, 2021 06:24 PM

I really like the Black Gold Coco mix. It holds water well and includes enough worm castings to keep the little guys happy if I am late potting them up

Fusion_power November 29, 2021 09:01 PM

Most of the commercial seed start mixes work very well with tomatoes with a few caveats.

1. Do NOT use any mix that has not been sterilized. Promix and Miracle Grow seed start mixes are steam sterilized just to name a couple.

2. If you have mix left over from last year that was left damp, I recommend getting a fresh bag. Fungi grow just fine in seed start mix that is damp. I've killed seedlings by using left over seed start mix.

3. No matter which seed start mix you get, fertilizer will have to be added at some point. My go-to measure is 1/2 teaspoon of a general purpose fertilizer 15-30-15 or similar per 48 plants. I am growing seedlings in cell trays that have 48 cells per tray.

4. Learn to water the seedlings appropriately. More tomato and pepper seedlings are killed each year by over-watering than any other thing.

5. Don't forget how important light exposure is to seedlings. Stocky healthy seedlings will only grow under a very good light source, whether artificial or natural.

dmforcier November 30, 2021 01:30 AM

[QUOTE=Fusion_power;766212]
3. No matter which seed start mix you get, fertilizer will have to be added at some point. My go-to measure is 1/2 teaspoon of a general purpose fertilizer 15-30-15 or similar per 48 plants. I am growing seedlings in cell trays that have 48 cells per tray.
[/QUOTE]
That's a pretty good dose. How often do you apply?

And thanks for the information.