Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Fruit, Flowers and Ornamentals (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Alpine strawberries from seed... (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15945)

Timbotide September 18, 2010 03:20 PM

Alpine strawberries from seed...

I have some alpine strawberry seed and need some advice on how and
when to germinate them and grow them.

fortyonenorth September 18, 2010 04:01 PM

Try here [url]http://www.fraisesdesbois.com/alpinestrawberries.htm[/url].

If you're googling - they're also called fraises des bois.

Good luck.

Timbotide September 18, 2010 04:09 PM

Thanks for the link.

gardenpaws_VA September 18, 2010 05:46 PM

They're very easy - just be patient. Mine have always been slow to germinate (tho' high percentages) and even slower to grow up! Worth it, though.

Timbotide September 18, 2010 05:52 PM

Should I sow them now or wait a few months?

gardenpaws_VA September 18, 2010 06:04 PM

Check to see if they require stratification - I don't remember, as I now just let mine seed themselves outside.

Tania September 19, 2010 12:25 AM

My alpine strawberries became weeds in my garden - they self-seed and grow everywhere. :)

To germinate the alpine strawberry seed, just sprinkle them on top of moist peat moss based soiless mix and patiently wait. I usually get ~25% germination without doing any additional tricks.

I'd suggest to wait for a few months and start them in late winter/early spring. They can be transplanted before the last frost.

Tania

Timbotide September 19, 2010 12:46 AM

[QUOTE=Tania;184471]My alpine strawberries became weeds in my garden - they self-seed and grow everywhere. :)

To germinate the alpine strawberry seed, just sprinkle them on top of moist peat moss based soiless mix and patiently wait. I usually get ~25% germination without doing any additional tricks.

I'd suggest to wait for a few months and start them in late winter/early spring. They can be transplanted before the last frost.

Tania[/QUOTE]

Looks like I will have to wait a few months to start
Those seed and I have heard it's worth the wait.
Thanks for the much needed information.

RinTinTin September 19, 2010 01:26 AM

The modern hybrids traded flavor for size. The alpines are tiny, but pack giant flavor.

franzb69 September 21, 2010 11:16 AM

Wonder if these'll grow in the tropics

mdvpc October 24, 2010 10:10 AM

My first year growing these. I have 10 containers on the side of my greenhouse. I had read that you won't get any fruit the first year, but I have been getting about 30 a week. Dont know if the plants will last through the winter in my zone 8 garden outside, but I hope so. Nice taste to the small fruit. Picked 12 fruit this morning.

Timbotide October 24, 2010 01:41 PM

[QUOTE=mdvpc;187397]My first year growing these. I have 10 containers on the side of my greenhouse. I had read that you won't get any fruit the first year, but I have been getting about 30 a week. Dont know if the plants will last through the winter in my zone 8 garden outside, but I hope so. Nice taste to the small fruit. Picked 12 fruit this morning.[/QUOTE]

I thought about trying to germinate a few seed in a container
on my back porch and move them to The garage
During freezing weather.
How hard are the alpine seed to germinate?

mdvpc October 24, 2010 02:40 PM

Tim

Not hard at all. They are tiny, so I think Tania's advice on starting is good.

Medbury Gardens October 25, 2010 01:13 AM

Ok my reply is not about the alpine strawberry but i hope you timbotide have had your question answered well enough.
I would like to share a resent discovery ive made with the more modern hybrid variety's.Ive been growing a 1960's commercial type and do them in a three year rotation,the newest plantings don't get covered to stop the birds so they make off with the little fruit that those young plants do produce,about three years ago i was noticing strawberry seedlings popping up in the garden so out of curiosity i started potting them up and growing them on to the producing stage of which ive found they are no different to the original strain and grow fruit of just as good size and taste.
I'm now onto the second generation seedlings are are still providing a similar quality fruit.
Garden centers and breeders etc have been telling gardeners for years to replace there plants from them because as they will eventually degenerate and revert back due to virus and that you cant grow them from seed because they are hybrids,but so far i don't see any variation in fact look consistently better than the older type.

mdvpc October 25, 2010 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my alpine plants in 12 gallon containers. Photo taken 10/25/2010.