Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Sunchokes/jerusalem artichokes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46012)

mensplace September 20, 2017 11:49 AM

Sunchokes/jerusalem artichokes

I have checked every possible grocery chain around here with no luck in finding Jerusalem artichokes. Then I checked online for them and the prices, especially when combined with shipping were insane. They produce so many tubers I can't believe they are no longer widely available or so costly. I used to have them elsewhere and loved the flavor and the flowers.

GrowingCoastal September 20, 2017 10:04 PM

Keep watching the produce sections. I think their season is just coming up. I managed to get a few here that way a few years ago.

Old chef September 21, 2017 11:00 PM

The season starts after the first hard frost. Plants die back
And then it was s time for harvest
Old Chef

TessSR September 22, 2017 01:07 PM

I can get it here for a decent price. I also have some growing from what I planted last year. I just need to find out when I need to harvest them. Shipping would be depending on how many you need.

PhilaGardener September 22, 2017 08:24 PM

Where are you located, @mensplace ? To my surprise, I see them here (near Philly, PA) in all the major chains (Acme even!) and Whole Paycheck (ahem, Whole Foods) on a regular basis.

Gardeneer October 1, 2017 10:15 PM

Yes, Sun chokes are harvested after the frost.
I am not a fan of SC. The only use that I like is pickling them. They stay crunchy.

carolyn137 October 1, 2017 10:26 PM

Once you grow them you have them forever,that's about all I can say that is or is not nice to say. Some say they are full of inulin which is good for avoiding diabetes and some say if you already have diabetes they can cure you.

But yes, pretty yellow flowers and it took me forever to get rid of them.:)

Carolyn

PhilaGardener October 2, 2017 08:12 PM

Mine are probably over 16 ft tall right now and blooming their heads off!

Gardeneer, do you brine or lactoferment them? I use them sparingly in stir fries but they don't keep well in the refrigerator for me.

If anyone is planning larger scale use, test sparingly first. They can cause GI upset for some folks. :?!?:

mensplace October 2, 2017 11:02 PM

Thank you so much for ALL of your kind offers

This has been an interesting couple of weeks. First, I lost all ability to walk for a week thanks to gabapentin. Next, my wife and I went in for our over 65 inoculations. I went on and got the flu version and pneumonia at the same time. Never again! The aches, chills, and fever kept me down for a week. Yesterday, I sat out in the sun just listening and considering.

Today, I walked into the back to check an area I had prepped for the Fall. My neighbor had mowed right up to the edge covering the whole area with his grass clippings that were full of ever weed from lambs quarter to thistle. The area that I had looking beautiful was now covered with weeds with my month's inattention.

In my front garden my transplants of Fall veggies were reduced to skeletons thanks to insects. With one last area left to inspect I saw very little sprouting thanks to our drought. I think that I must try to manage only tomato bed in the Spring. At least that can be controlled, managed, and monitored.

That all considered, it seems best for me not to be planting something for long term returns. Chokes still are my all time favorite relish and pickle, but I will have to find them elsewhere. I'm not giving up across the board, but merely recognizing my limitations that are rapidly changing. GOD bless all...and thanks again for your incredible generosity;).

bower October 2, 2017 11:56 PM

We were talking about sunchokes at a seed saving event today at the farm. Apparently they get woody during the summer when they are actively growing, and that is why they are harvested in fall or spring, after the plant has put the sugars into storage in the tubers.

Like Carolyn said, the patches are forever. :lol: There's no way that there won't be a small tuber to escape harvest and grow again. Very easy, so if you like them Mensplace, I think it only takes a year to get something to eat. I'm with the others who concluded that a little goes a long way... not something I would ever eat a lot of. I do have a patch, though. ;)

Worth1 October 3, 2017 05:24 AM

The Germans make alcohol out of them.:yes:

Worth

PhilaGardener October 3, 2017 06:37 AM

We'll probably never know if that solves the classic flatulence problem or not . . . :panic:

Gardeneer October 3, 2017 08:49 PM

[QUOTE=PhilaGardener;666814]Mine are probably over 16 ft tall right now and blooming their heads off!

Gardeneer, do you brine or lactoferment them? I use them sparingly in stir fries but they don't keep well in the refrigerator for me.

If anyone is planning larger scale use, test sparingly first. They can cause GI upset for some folks. :?!?:[/QUOTE]
I have not pickled them myself but my relative do it all the time.
They mostly pickle in vinegar + water + salt + herbs/spices.

Yes, in stir fry they should be good. Like water chestnuts that taste crunchy

Tormato October 4, 2017 11:58 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;666854]The Germans make alcohol out of them.:yes:

Worth[/QUOTE]

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Worth1 October 4, 2017 01:20 PM

Nein nicht veil.