Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   The Workbench: BIY™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Those darn labels on buckets (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48408)

MuddyBuckets November 27, 2018 02:26 PM

Those darn labels on buckets

OK friends, here is a question for the group. How in the heck do you remove the labels and leftover glue from white plastic buckets scored from the local market or deli? I have tried scraping, soaking in hot water, goo gone, rubbing alcohol soak, cooking oil, automotive brake cleaner fluid and WD 40. NONE of it worked, scraped some of the paper label off but not worth the effort if the glue is still on the bucket. Super glue has nothing on whatever they use to stick labels to these plastic containers.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated to relieve the frustration of preparing the buckets for planting. I will reward a solution that actually works with FREE Bishops Cap pepper seeds!

Muddy Buckets (with labels)

ChiliPeppa November 27, 2018 02:36 PM

I have a good method for removing labels from plastic jars. You could try and see if it will work for the buckets.
Takes a few tablespoons of cooking oil (any kind) and add to it some baking soda, just enough to make a slightly runny paste. You may need to add more soda. Use this paste too rub all over the area of the sticker and glue. If the glue is really tough it may take 10-15 minutes. Keep rubbing. You may need to add more paste. I always have success with this method.

eyegrotom November 27, 2018 03:21 PM

Try a hair blow dryer. Mike

kayrobbins November 27, 2018 03:32 PM

I use a heat gun and it makes it easy to get the label off just don't hold it too close. Then I use Goof Off to get the glue residue off. I hope someone gives you a better answer because they are a pain to deal with.

Salsacharley November 27, 2018 03:41 PM

I use FIVE STAR PBW cleaner to remove labels from wine and beer bottles for home wine and beer making. You have to have a container bigger than your bucket to soak the bucket you want the label removed from. It takes a few minutes of soaking, but most all labels fall off in one nice slimy piece.

MuddyBuckets November 27, 2018 03:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

ChiliPeppa's oil and baking soda paste on for 30 minutes allowed me to scrape (hard) most of the paper label off but did nothing for the glue residue. Trying another section of the label and letting it soak a couple of hours to see if it helps.

Hair dryer did not work. Don't have a heat gun. Keep the suggestions coming!

KarenO November 27, 2018 03:59 PM

Product called “goo gone”
removes adhesive.

KarenO

MuddyBuckets November 27, 2018 04:11 PM

Thanks KarenO, tried goo gone and it did not work on this adhesive. I have used it on other labels and it worked great removing the glue.

Rajun Gardener November 27, 2018 05:39 PM

Put some acetone in a spray bottle and spray it and let it sit a while than spray it again and scrape while it's wet.

That should work, if not paint the bucket!!

GrowingCoastal November 27, 2018 06:27 PM

Paint thinner?

Labradors2 November 27, 2018 06:30 PM

Avon's Skin-so-soft! It smells SO much nicer than terpentine for paint removal on hands, and is great for cleaning up that nasty label residue.

Linda

brownrexx November 27, 2018 07:45 PM

I have never tried it on buckets but I use lighter fluid to remove adhesive from labels on jars or plastic containers. I once saw a store employee using this to remove price stickers.

Nan_PA_6b November 27, 2018 07:57 PM

White paint. If the labels are stuck on so tightly, let them be. Paint over them if they're ugly. Saves time & grief.

rxkeith November 27, 2018 10:36 PM

why take the label off?
use it as a key code.

dill pickle has green giant
blue berry filling has cherokee purple
lemon meringue has yellow pear
and so on and so on

or you can put your own label on top of it.

keith

MuddyBuckets November 27, 2018 11:02 PM

Lots of great suggestions. I will pick up some acetone, paint remover, Avon's Skin-so-soft and spray paint in the next few days. If nothing works then painting the buckets will be a last resort.