Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing for Market (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Fresh Tomatoes. $1.00 per pound. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15241)

TomatoDon July 14, 2010 07:51 PM

Fresh Tomatoes. $1.00 per pound.

I've noticed some of the local tomato growers setting up recently, selling their tomates. Here's a picture of some really nice Goliaths for just a dollar a pound.

DS

[COLOR=#1144bb][img]http://www.feldoncentral.com/garden/photos/d/16764-1/7-14-10_+HalVaughn3.jpg[/img] [/COLOR]

feldon30 July 15, 2010 06:12 AM

Not sure I'd buy tomatoes out of a filthy truck with tomatoes stored in buckets, but that's just me.

I would also view $1/lb tomatoes with suspicion and just assume they were bland and tasteless. I'd be very curious about the growing conditions.

But that's just me. ;)

Wi-sunflower July 15, 2010 07:42 AM

Unfortunately that's common during the height of the season where ever you are. At least it is here usually from about the middle of Aug til a killing frost. some years the price of a bushel goes as low as $15.

Of course people looking for those tomatoes aren't looking for quality, just volume for canning.

The other problem that can cause the low prices is an older farmer that has been doing it forever ( or did it long ago and is getting back in) and only seems to remember the prices that were around when they were young. We have one old f@rt at Hubby's market that sells most of his stuff for way less than he COULD get for it. It hurts all the other farmers.

It's just a fact of "market gardening" that you have to learn how to deal with.

Carol

dave July 16, 2010 07:20 PM

[SIZE=3]It's the same here in OK. Last saturday tomatoes were already at $1.00, Hybrids & Heirlooms. One bright note is we're getting $2.50 a LB. for okra, seems no one wants to cut the stuff anymore in 100 degree heat. dave [/SIZE]

TomatoDon July 23, 2010 01:01 AM

I'm sorry I'm just getting back to this thread, most of my postings about it are on the main forum on the thread called "Goliath Tomato" at
[URL]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15242[/URL]

Probably all fresh picked tomatoes start out like this from the field. The tomatoes themselves are as clean as anything you'd pick from the garden -- basically because these "are" fresh picked from the garden. He just happens to have quite a big garden! All my "pickin' buckets" look about the same when I've been to the field. His farm is just up the road from mine and the growing conditions and methods are fine. He is as meticulous as we are here at T'ville on growing his tomatoes, and does soil prep in the fall and again in late winter, getting everything just right for his tomato patch. I tell more about this in the "Goliath" thread, plus pictures, scale weights, etc.

I mentioned there that he's picked around 3,000 or more pounds so far from 120 plants and figures to get about 1,000 more pounds. The variety is Original Goliath Hybrid from Totally Tomatoes. I've eaten them and the taste is excellent. Definitely not bland or tasteless! I gave a lot away to friends around Nashville and they loved em and are waiting for more. I bought a bucket-full to take and had no idea they would like them so much. If I take another 30 pounds the next time they won't last long.

Also, remember I'm in a very rural area. These prices aren't uncommon. You could double or triple them in Jackson, Memphis, Nashville, etc. The Amish about 45 miles away grow some of the best seedlings you can imagine and sell them for $20 for a tray of 36. Again, you could double and triple that in the city. Their seedlings are around .50 each and something the same size and quality in Memphis is routinely $2.50 - $3.50 retail. The tomato farmer himself is sorta like the guys you mention Wi-Sunflower -- retired and just does it because he likes to. Several around here do that and it does push the price down.

So...everything's up to par. I listed it as a good example of good deals that can be found in rural markets. And far superior in taste to the fancier boutique tomatoes found in the ritzy markets in our neighboring cities.

Hope you guys are getting better temps and more rain than we are! I have very few blooms now, but did plant some seedlings not long ago and have more to plant if I can get them acclimated to this heat! I can't leave them outside but a few minutes before they start wilting,and then I have to bring them right back inside again. It's sho-nuff hot here.

DS

Timmah! July 23, 2010 01:48 AM

"I can't leave them outside but a few minutes before they start wilting,and then I have to bring them right back inside again. It's sho-nuff hot here."

Had some cuttings from a few growing shoots I'd accidentally snapped during my foray into the jungle of Brandywine. I trimmed them & stuck them in some potting mix. They would droop during the heat in the low to mid nineties, then perk back up @ night. After five or so days, they stopped drooping.

stormymater July 23, 2010 02:15 PM

I'd gladly buy off that truck - if I had any concerns over taste I'd start with one & eat it right there, but hey, that's probably how I have avoided all kinds of allergies & ailments through the years.

Nice looking maters - I'll be lucky to get anywhere close this year (wish that feller was closer b/c I'd come fill MY truck LOL!).

TomatoDon July 23, 2010 03:10 PM

I'm going over to Amish country this afternoon and imagine I will see similar set ups (buckets and old fashioned scales and hand painted signs). They are heavy into Goliath also and I imagine they have a lot to sell, plus lots of tomato juice. Their methods for making tomato juice is as close to the 1800's as they can get and I'm sure they don't read the USDA canning guidelines! :D But the tomatoes and juice sure is good and healthy!

DS

Timbotide August 2, 2010 09:18 PM

Those are some nice looking tomatoes. Growing up I lived near an older guy that raised the best vegetables and he took pride in what he sold to the public.
His tomatoes and silver queen corn were the best around and his peas and butter beans were good as well.
Guys like this take pride in what they grow and respect the land they farm.

mdvpc August 2, 2010 09:53 PM

Guys like this take pride in what they grow and respect the land they farm.

Agree 100%!

piegirl August 6, 2010 10:56 PM

$3.99 a pound in a local grocery store for heirloom tomatoes, probably not organic. Farmers market prices almost certainly a dollar to two dollars higher. piegirl

Timmah! August 7, 2010 03:11 AM

$5/lb. @ Farmers' markets there? I need to drive over & set up shop. =)

piegirl August 18, 2010 10:02 PM

At my neighborhood grocery store - homegrown 'red' tomatoes, fair quality, unknown variety but probably an early girl - $2.99. Tomorrow I am going to the natural food store - I am sure their's are much higher for organic, local heirlooms - quality is generally fair to pretty poor and varieties are not marked. piegirl

TomatoDon August 18, 2010 10:34 PM

I bought some Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Sungold, Black Cherry, Pineapple and others at the Nashville show recently. The large ones were $3.00 a pound. I'm in NY state now, and haven't seen a single tomato stand.

DS

Bama mater August 20, 2010 04:45 PM

$3 a lb is a good price for the consumer for home grown heirlooms