Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Rajče Tyčk/Tisk/Tyskove Hroznove = Zluta Kytice (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=27010)

clara March 12, 2013 05:18 PM

Rajče Tyčk/Tisk/Tyskove Hroznove = Zluta Kytice

This is a message to all members who either have asked Carolyn for this variety out of her this year's seed offer or whom I've sent seeds to earlier this year.

GunnarSc stated in Carolyn's seed offer for 2013 that Rajče T.H. can't be the true name because that only means: tomato - indet. - grape (in Czech language). I had got the seeds from private German seed saver Gerhard Bohl* who himself had got the seeds from a German nursery owner whose nursery is very close to the Czech border. (This seller actually doesn't list it.)

Gunnar tried to find out the real name in a Czech forum, but without success. Then, all of a sudden, while browsing some French and Belgian sites, I stumbled across it and I'm now sure for 99,9% that it's:

Zluta Kytice

This means "Yellow Flowers" in English and fits perfectly to the plant, as I had trusses of hundreds of flowers and nearly all of them produced a fruit.

So apparently it's a Czech variety; Tania who has already grown it, got the seeds from Australia via a Canadian grower.

Again my apologies, Tania, I didn't want to disturb your business!!

For the flowers, please go to Tania's site:

[url]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Zluta_Kytice[/url]

and for having a look at what to expect as to the crop, please go to:

[url]http://www.google.de/imgres?q=Zluta+Kytice&um=1&hl=de&sa=N&tbm=isch&tbnid=Di6JBK-7YqhLOM:&imgrefurl=http://www.tomodori.com/fichephoto.php%3Fnom%3DZluta%2520Kytice&docid=pppPUVemrnwREM&imgurl=http://www.tomodori.com/images/Tomates/zluta_kytice_0.jpg&w=500&h=375&ei=iJc_UanhF4_IsgbT8IGICQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=903&vpy=277&dur=1092&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=156&ty=83&page=1&tbnh=138&tbnw=174&start=0&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:0,i:122&biw=1297&bih=764[/url]

Sorry for the name confusion, but be sure to have an excellent variety - at least it was one in my garden and therefore I've saved seeds for Carolyn's offer. Tania says that the taste was good, I would say excellent and so did everybody who tasted it here. But as you all know: different climate, different soil, different taste buds...

If there are any questions - I'll do my very best!

clara

*Here is what Gerhard Bohl says in his "Sortenbuch" about this variety (sorry, it's in German):

"Eine gelbe Obsttomate mit extrem großen, extrem aufgefächerten Trauben von 150 bis 300 Früchten/Wickel. Absoluter Massenträger! Die Pflanzen scheinen nur aus Blütenständen und Fruchttrauben zu bestehen. Frucht wie 'Golden Currant', die Pflanzen bringen aber an jeden Fruchtstand mehr Früchte als eine Pflanze dieser Johannisbeertomate. Kräftiger Wuchs. Mittelhoch bis hoch wachsend, auf jeden Fall über 2 m. Fruchtgewicht etwa 6 g, Durchmesser etwa 22 mm. Eine Spitzensorte der Extraklasse! Vermutlich südosteuropäischer Herkunft."

PS: It would be very nice to get some feetback how Zluta Kytice has done in your gardens later this fall!

delltraveller March 12, 2013 06:49 PM

I grew Zluta Kytice from Tania in 2012 and it was a compact plant, much much less than the 2 meters Gerhard Bohl mentions, and fruit about 10-15mm long and 5-8mm wide at the fattest part of the teardrop shape,`not 22mm in diameter.

clara March 12, 2013 07:06 PM

My plant was as described by Gerhard Bohl, only difference: height about 1,70 meters (2 stems). Perhaps Gerhard had pruned it to one single stem to reach more than 2 meters - I don't know. clara

delltraveller March 12, 2013 07:12 PM

What shape were the fruit on yours?
Zluta Kytice fruits are oval to teardrop shaped with a distinct little sharp nipple.
My plant height was under a meter.

clara March 12, 2013 08:52 PM

Some fruits were like little grapes, some with a tip at the bottom, some without, some were round like marbles, all at the same truss. If you have a look at the tomodori-link (basket and plate), that's what mine were looking like.

ddsack March 12, 2013 08:58 PM

Clara, your links provide beautiful pictures of I-can't-believe-how-many blossoms and beautiful fruit. I'm usually not a fan of cherry sized tomatoes, but I think I'm going to have to try this one! Thanks for posting!

carolyn137 March 12, 2013 09:30 PM

Clara, I'm sitting here laughing b'c I just downloaded this variety from Tania's site as well as another one that I listed inmy seed offer and listed it as recieved, but it too needs , only slightly, a spelling change.

As I told you earlier, I expect to make corrections when I put up the germination thread and so I ask all who participated, especially those in the south who have already sowed seeds, to keep track of their germination results to post in that thread.

And in that germination thread I'll kind of spell out what I'd liked to see which includes the seed age, which was written on the seed pack, and also noted in the seed offer and well, I'll spell out the rest when I put it up which will probably be this weekend coming up in the General Discussion Forum.

Carolyn, who thanks Clara so much for tracking down the real name of the variety as well as the history.

tedln March 12, 2013 09:42 PM

From the photo on the Tomatodora site, the tomatoes look almost translucent. I can almost imagine seeing the gel cells and suspended seeds in the gel. Is that my imagination or is the translucent appearance accurate? I've seen that in a few varieties and they always seem to be cherry or grape varieties.

Ted

barefootgardener March 12, 2013 10:39 PM

Clara, Thank you so much for all the browsing and investigating you did to get the right name and info on this variety! I have been very curious..

I par-took in Carolyn's seed offer, of this variety, and will be reporting back on germination and how the growth and fruit do throughout the season. I usually take pictures and post them.

The links you provided show some real beauties!

Did you grow yours in a pot Clara, or in the ground?

I think I will grow mine both ways, and compare..A few in the GH in the ground, and in a pot, and outdoors in pot and one in ground. That is if all the seeds germinate. I planted mine 5 day's ago, so waiting on germination.

In one of the pics, it looks like it was growing up a trellis. The flowers are so beautiful!

Ginny

clara March 13, 2013 04:27 PM

Ginny, most of my plants are grown in containers, so was Zluta Kytice. The plant covered with blossoms is really a beauty. Give it some space all around if possible to enjoy the flowers and for easier picking later on. Don't forget to prepare some support as the trusses can get very heavy when loaded with fruits.

Ted, yes, SOME fruits were translucent, but not all.

ddsack, there are still seeds left. If you want to try them, please send me a pm with your address.

Tania's Zluta Kytice is apparently a det. one, mine is indet.

Carolyn, you're welcome - in was in my interest to end this name confusion. But I'm still wondering why Tania's variety is det. and mine indet...?

clara

GunnarSK March 13, 2013 05:00 PM

[QUOTE=clara;333815]Tania's Zluta Kytice is apparently a det. one, mine is indet.

Carolyn, you're welcome - in was in my interest to end this name confusion. But I'm still wondering why Tania's variety is det. and mine indet...?
clara[/QUOTE]Tania states that Zluta Kytice is indeterminant, but compact, so there's no contradiction.

clara March 13, 2013 05:09 PM

Gunnar, delltraveller (post 4) has said that it was less than 1 meter. That's det. for me. clara