Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Sprouting Pepper Temp? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=51347)

whoose February 14, 2022 01:55 PM

Sprouting Pepper Temp?

When sprouting pepper what is the ideal temperature for the soil? These are hot Big Jim, and Joe E.

MissS February 14, 2022 03:10 PM

I sprout mine at about 80 degrees F.

Fusion_power February 14, 2022 06:13 PM

72 to 80 degrees works very well. Above or below suppresses germination. I've had best results about 75 to 76 degrees. They need high moisture but not saturated soil. A very loose seed start mix works best.

rxkeith February 14, 2022 07:24 PM

best, and quickest germination i ever had with pepper seeds was on top of an old cast
iron radiator we had in an old mining house we lived in for several years. someone had made a shelf to fit over the top of it, and i placed a towel on top the shelf with the planted seeds on top of the towel. i had seedlings in about five days. other homes
i put the planted seeds in a tray over a heat vent if in floor heat with a book or brick or piece of wood on each end of the tray so the heat can still come out. on top of a hot water heater will work provided your unheated basement isn't in the mid 40s like mine is right now. currently i start my seeds underneath the wood stove during the winter. germination takes a bit longer due to temperature fluctuation.
you can use a heating mat, but i am a cheapskate.

keith

Salsacharley February 15, 2022 12:05 PM

I've had best results at 80 - 85 F.

TomNJ February 16, 2022 08:29 AM

I use a heating pad to start my peppers and monitor the soil temperature daily at 1/4" depth. I germinate them hot for the first two days, usually 85-95°F, and then lower the heat to give 75-85°F. I have seedlings in 5-6 days for both hot and sweet peppers.

bbjm February 16, 2022 12:10 PM

I don't have a heat mat but have had good luck with peppers when I use reasonably fresh seeds -- no older than 3 or 4 years. I assume it takes longer than it would with heat, but it works for me. I start my seeds in the kitchen which stays around 72F. I have found that moisture control is even more important for seeds that take longer to germinate.

Good luck!

BBJM

Tormato February 16, 2022 07:34 PM

If I remember Johnny's catalog germination chart correctly, 86 degrees is their optimum temp. After 1st true leaves, they should be grown at 70 in the day, 60 at night.They also recommend a controlled cold treatment of seedlings, which is more complicated than the above.

ScottinAtlanta February 20, 2022 02:36 PM

80 to 90 degrees for me, and at the upper end for super hots.

NewWestGardener February 21, 2022 10:20 AM

I’ve researched and summarized quick and successful germination methods from Chinese growers, with much higher initial temperature treatment, I have no doubt of its effectiveness.. I will start mine today, and report back.
Bring water to a boil then cool to 130 F, add pepper or egg plant seeds, let it cool to about 104 F, then pour seeds with the water into a coffee container and tighten the lid, to keep temperature steady, for 6-8 hours. Then plant seeds the same way as you experts’ methods stated above. Germination is within 2- 3 days.
Believe it or not, I poured boiling water, without cooling at all, into mung bean seeds, and let it cool naturally to room temperature, and grew great sprouts.

JRinPA March 20, 2022 05:13 AM

That's sounds like a major pain to do a hot water bath for 10 different types...but I don't doubt it works. I have replicated that accidentally a few times, with heat mat thermostat probe gone astray.

So how did it work out, NewWestGardener?