Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Porterhouse Hybrid (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=10645)

kygreg March 13, 2009 08:37 PM

Porterhouse Hybrid

Is Burpees offering this variety this year. I have seen a couple of Burpee seeds racks at local stores, but neither had Porterhouse Hybrid. Did see they had Steak Sandwich.

I guess I should ask is if Porterhouse being offered at retail outlets. They do offer it in their catalog, but too expensive and the shipping handling is high.

Gobig_or_Gohome_toms March 13, 2009 10:43 PM

I have yet to see it in the seed racks at stores I have seen brandy boy last year but yet to see porter house

Mischka March 13, 2009 11:45 PM

Checked Burpee racks at Home Despot, China*Mart and several other local retailers - no Porterhouse. (and no Brandy Boy)

This year's seed rack selections have nowhere near the varieties offered in prior years, regardless of seed purveyor. Ferry-Morse, Burpee, Hart's, NK, etc. all appear to have cut back the amount of varieties offered... [I]or worse, they have been cut back by Seminis and Syngenta.[/I]

sirtanon March 14, 2009 03:18 AM

[url]http://www.burpee.com/product/vegetables/tomatoes/beefsteak+tomatoes/porterhouse+beefsteak+tomato+-+packet+(30+seeds).do[/url]

Only place I've seen it.

lumierefrere March 14, 2009 09:43 AM

I think that's true, Mischka. I was in Agway this past week looking for seeds and while they do have a lot I noticed 2 companies no longer represented on the racks. Now it's just Burpee's, Livingston's, Ferry-Morse and Agway. The most popular varieties are there, but the more rare ones which were there last year (mini-basil for one) weren't there any longer. I asked but of course I got a blank look in response.

Barb

geeboss March 14, 2009 06:00 PM

Stopped by my local nursery in Fairfax, VA and they had Porterhouse hybird by Burpee.

kygreg if you need it let me know and I'll pick one up for you and mail it tomorrow.

George

An update on Burpee's 20mg Porterhouse seed package @ 2.49 it only has 8 seeds in it. Burpee's Organic Brandywine Pink is 150 mg and has 54 seeds in it for 2.49.

jwr6404 March 16, 2009 11:47 PM

Purchased a package of Burpee Porterhouse seeds and all failed to Germanate

Mischka March 17, 2009 02:30 AM

Seems the smaller retailers have their seed racks stocked with the varieties missing from the big box retailers.

Tonight I saw Porterhouse, Brandy Boy and Sungold all on a Burpee rack at Ocean State Job Lot - a small regional chain similar to Big Lots, specializing in closeouts, distressed merchandise and refurbished appliances.

All 3 varieties were pre-printed with a $2.49 price but the store advertises their entire seed rack at 50% off.

kygreg March 17, 2009 08:13 AM

geeboss, Thanks for the offer but I have 4 or 5 seeds and think I will wait and see what happens.

Mischka March 17, 2009 12:51 PM

[quote=kygreg;123828]Is Burpees offering this variety this year. I have seen a couple of Burpee seeds racks at local stores, but neither had Porterhouse Hybrid. Did see they had Steak Sandwich.

I guess I should ask is if Porterhouse being offered at retail outlets. They do offer it in their catalog, but too expensive and the shipping handling is high.[/quote]

Greg, have you grown Porterhouse Hybrid before? I tried them last year and they were not as big as Big Beef nor did they taste nearly as good.

kygreg March 17, 2009 02:19 PM

I have grown Porterhouse Hybrid for 3 or 4 years. For me the taste has been close to Big Beef but note I do not have a discriminating palate.

I read from a non-Burpee source that Steak Sandwich Hybrid is better than Big Beef, so will be trying that this year also. I am growing Big Beef Hybrid and Big Beef OP side by side for a comparison.

The larger Porterhouse were a little larger than Big Beef, but their size was not as consistent as Big Beef.