Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   What's wrong with this tomato seedling? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46719)

edweather February 16, 2018 05:55 PM

What's wrong with this tomato seedling?

1 Attachment(s)
Leaves are yellow with darker veins. I'm clueless, never had a problem before. the other seedlings seem fine. Drainage is good, so it's not over watering. Thanks, ed

KarenO February 16, 2018 06:19 PM

what variety is it
KarenO

edweather February 16, 2018 06:43 PM

Stupice

FourOaks February 16, 2018 06:54 PM

I would hazard a guess that it is a nutrient deficiency. Looks like it has missed a few meals. What are you feeding it?

edweather February 16, 2018 07:01 PM

Had only given it a little diluted liquid MG. I just gave it a nitrogen infusion (Calcium Nitrate) with some stronger MG. Should darken in about 2 days if it did the trick. Thanks.

Tiny Tim February 18, 2018 12:47 AM

It looks like early Magnesium deficiency to me. You may want to try a light dose of Epsom salt diluted with water. It should come right back to life.

Ann123 February 18, 2018 03:38 AM

I would have said over watering but you say this can't be the case.
It didn't suffer from cold weather?
It does look like magnesium deficiency but potting soil usually has enough nutrients and fertilizer for a couple of months (mine says +150 days).

edweather February 18, 2018 08:09 AM

Thanks, yea, no cold weather, but there might be a bit of sun damage on one leaf, but that's not the problem. Correct, it's not overwatering. I thought of Mg, but like you say there's usually enough, and my other seedlings don't have the problem. Will give the epsom salts a try. Also thought it might the pH of my homemade mix, so I added a very small pinch of lime.

rhines81 February 18, 2018 08:31 AM

[QUOTE=Tiny Tim;684007]It looks like early Magnesium deficiency to me. You may want to try a light dose of Epsom salt diluted with water. It should come right back to life.[/QUOTE]

+1
That's my guess to!

Rockandrollin February 18, 2018 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=edweather;684055] and my other seedlings don't have the problem.[/QUOTE]

The seedling that is photo bombing the photo (bottom left), has signs of the same problem, just not as bad.

I don't know which nutrient it's missing. I pot up with Miracle Grow potting mix so I don't have to figure out what the plant is missing, just add water and light:)

edweather February 18, 2018 10:23 AM

[QUOTE]The seedling that is photo bombing the photo (bottom left), has signs of the same problem, just not as bad. [/QUOTE]

hahaha lol, you are right. Was waiting for someone to see that. Today the photo boming plant is ok, not as dark green as I'd like it, but looks fairly normal. The situation is improving. Will post a pic if things get back to normal. Maybe the problem is that I use my own mix, and it has very little fertilizer in it. I tend to have a bit of an underfertilizing bias, but usually there's enough food so things don't get out of hand. The weather is perfect, so if it's going to recover, it should be fast, or not at all.

Salsacharley February 18, 2018 12:29 PM

Looks like interveinal chlorosis, which is caused by mineral deficiencies, so magnesium deficiency would be a highly suspected. You can treat this with lowering the PH and leaching the soil with a thorough flushing with low PH water, and then adding a complete fert with micronutrients. All this info is plagiarized. I ain't this smart.

ginger2778 February 18, 2018 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=Tiny Tim;684007]It looks like early Magnesium deficiency to me. You may want to try a light dose of Epsom salt diluted with water. It should come right back to life.[/QUOTE]

This. 1 tablespoon Epsom salt to 1 gallon water, water after it dries out a bit. It's going to green up in 2 days after.

edweather February 18, 2018 01:36 PM

Thanks, getting it more Mg. To be continued.

ScottinAtlanta February 18, 2018 04:35 PM

A little very diluted fish fert will fix it up.