Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Please help. What do you use tomato jelly, jam or preserves on? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=18866)

raindrops27 June 29, 2011 02:43 PM

Please help. What do you use tomato jelly, jam or preserves on?

I see all these yummy pickeled tomato, jam, preserves recipes. What I am clueless to, is what do you use them with. Like tomato jelly? What type of food do you use that on? I am trying to figure out, what canning recipes I should make. That I would use. However. I have the slightest on how or what type of food these recipes go with?

nicky June 29, 2011 02:48 PM

They go with just about anything. One of my favourite things is that they give you a little taste of summer in the winter.

Obviously - burgers, pasta....
Slather it on grilled chicken.
They make a great dip for a cheese & cracker tray.
Spoon it on top of Brie & bake....mmmm

CT Lady December 24, 2011 02:43 PM

Whenever I serve the family pot roast, I serve tomato jelly or tomato jam as a condiment. It is a delicious foil for the savory roast. It also works with meat loaf. Try it and enjoy!

shelleybean December 24, 2011 05:31 PM

I would love tomato chutney on a steak or some grilled chicken or shrimp. I think it would also be good with some okra and maybe some corn cut off the cob. On some crostini with a little goat's cheese. Mixed with black beans and rice. Yum! Now you've really got me wanting to make some!!

stormymater May 1, 2012 06:01 PM

Hot crispy buttered toast!
W/cream cheese on crispy warm bits of sourdough bread!
w/peanut butter - really

greyghost May 2, 2012 11:21 AM

Similar to Stormy's idea above; I like pepper or tomato jellies/jams placed on top of softened cream cheese for a Holiday spread.

We use different salsas on top of a white fish-usually Cod-that is either baked
or put in foil and done on the grill. I'll bet these tomato products might work
well, too.

ncjsgram May 18, 2012 12:49 PM

tomato preserves

it's great in the morning on a toasted english muffin. throw a nice dollop on a crepe, rol it up & eat it......................yum.

Father'sDaughter August 4, 2012 12:07 PM

Just had toasted Italian bread with some of last year's green tomato jelly. I think it actually tastes better now than when I first made it. The tomatoes were the ones with no hint of color on them that I picked the day before Irene rolled through. It's also a great way to use those that don't stand a chance of ripening before first frost, and aren't far enough along that they'll ripen inside.

ncjsgram August 4, 2012 06:24 PM

tomatojam/preserves

i preserve ripened ones. my favoriter thing to put them on is a toasted english muffin or inside of a cupcake.