Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Undercover Gardening™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   GREAT deal on a 10' x 12' greenhouse! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15294)

Mischka July 18, 2010 12:22 PM

GREAT deal on a 10' x 12' greenhouse!

3 Attachment(s)
Harbor Freight has reduced the price of their 10' x 12' greenhouse kit to $599.99 - Both Suze and I bought one last fall when they were $799.99. The assembly isn't for the timid and it's needs to be a bit reinforced, but you definitely can't beat the price - especially if you watch the newspaper for one of their [U][B]20% off any item[/B][/U] coupons!

You can also find their 20% off coupons in the back of a lot of DIY magazines, such as Home Handyman and Popular Mechanics.

Below is a link to their website and assembly information in PDF format. They also have many retail locations and you'll save the shipping cost if you can find one near you.

[URL]http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-12-ft-greenhouse-with-4-vents-93358.html[/URL]

[URL]http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=93358&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=[/URL]

[URL]http://www.harborfreight.com/store-finder[/URL]

[URL]http://www.harborfreightcoupon.org/[/URL]

ireilly July 18, 2010 12:48 PM

Also, we have a few stores here in DFW and they send out a flyer to people who shop there (it is addressed to you specifically), and those 20% coupons are often in it. Sometimes they have coupons for things as much as 50% off. It's all their own brand of stuff.

They also have a "premium" program that you pay something less than $50 a year for where they send you more "deals" that supposedly others don't get. I don't participate in that nor am I advocating for them, just adding more details to what was posted.

I go there lots just because there's a bunch of odd things there, and I love gadgets. They also have drip irrigation kits there but don't expect something with filters, etc. They are about $7-$10 on/off sale for 100-150 ft. kits, so for the more experienced among us it might be a good addition for tubing and tees and emitters to their setups.

Anyway, I know if you buy something at one of their stores and you give them your name and address they will start sending you flyers. Never used the website so will leave that experience to someone else.

There's also a Northern Tool Company store in Richardson here that I have seen flyers from but never been in yet. They seem to have lots of things too, if a bit pricier. I wonder if anyone has an in-person comparison of the two.

Never knew when I was younger I would frequent "Tool" stores!

Walter

coloken July 18, 2010 01:19 PM

20 percent coupon is in HF ad in all most every AARP monthly magizine. So ask grandmaw to save her's.

svalli July 18, 2010 02:15 PM

I bought one for $599 in 2007 and it is still in the original box in our garage. We need to get gravel to level the place where the GH will be built, but I can't get my DH to believe that we can hire someone to do that. He insists that he needs a wagon for the tractor to haul the gravel up to our back yard and of course a front loader is also a must for the job.;)

DH used to buy from Northern Tool also and their stuff is a bit more expensive, but we found that they had better quality than HF. We were just talking how easy it was to do all sorts of projects, when we found the right places to shop in US. We have some nice stores here too, but not with such variety of products.

I was hoping to get the GH project started this summer vacation, but DH is spending his time building a log wagon. I'm glad our next door neighbors went on a trip since we have had sounds of side grinder, hammering and welding echoing on our yard whole week.:o

Sari

svalli July 18, 2010 02:23 PM

I would like to see photos of the HFGH 10x12 when they are in use. In the above photo the GH looks enormous and really high and it is hard to try to picture it in my mind how it would look on our yard.
Could people who have this green house, post photos here?

Sari

Sherry_AK July 18, 2010 05:25 PM

Sari -- I thought the same thing. It looks very tall in the picture.

ireilly July 18, 2010 05:40 PM

Even if the aspect ratio is skewed in the picture, and I don't see any evidence of differential skewing, the lady in the picture sets the perspective. If we say she is 5 ft tall, the greenhouse has to be over 10 ft at the peak.

ddsack July 19, 2010 03:40 PM

Mischka and Suze, if and when you have time, it would be great to see pictures of how your large HF greenhouses have turned out. I've had this on the back burner for a few years also. After reading of all the reinforcement needed problems, I'm almost tempted to just buy the kit and screw the panels onto my own built wood frame instead of their metal frame. Seems like it's cheaper than to buy the panels on your own.

Mischka July 20, 2010 08:11 AM

I haven't erected mine permanently yet. :no:

I want an asphalt floor (not concrete) and haven't had time to have it paved. I chose asphalt over concrete because a local nurseryman used it under all of his greenhouses and I asked him why. He told me that it's a lot easier to anchor the edges to asphalt and that asphalt sheds water better than concrete and is much less slippery when wet.

I did assemble the back and front panels when I laid it out to measure for the base and it looks about 10 feet high at the peaks. I hope to have it up before the end of September - before it gets too cold to lay asphalt. I'll definitely post some pix here.

I too, read about the reinforcement issues for windy areas but after pricing out polycarbonate panels and extruded aluminum framing individually, the cost figures out a lot higher than the price of the greenhouse.

dustdevil July 23, 2010 10:36 AM

Get on their mailing list and they bombard you with the discount coupon flyers.

Timmah! July 23, 2010 10:44 AM

Ya, but I don't think I've seen one pertaining to a greenhouse yet via the email flyers.

beefyboy July 23, 2010 12:51 PM

Glad I stumbled on to this discussion! I have had a large greenhouse in the past which was custom built 20ft. wide by 40ft. long by 19ft. high!. I had two mango trees in there and plenty of room for 28 earthboxes. What was nice was I could use the height to grow cherry tomatoes and pole beans 14 ft. high to supports. I lost this greenhouse to a hurricane in 04 along with my entire house. I am now wanting another greenhouse for this planting season and like shelter-systems.com. They have a 20ft. round for $980.00 and have 14ft, 16ft. and 18ft. as well. No zippers and a good guarantee. Check out the site if you have not purchased one yet! the 18 and 20 have 4 large openings for plenty of circulation and are waterproof. They go up without tools and can be stored so not in your way when the season is over. Have fun and good luck!

huntoften July 28, 2010 11:14 PM

Looks like they already raised the price to $699 :?

vintagepatch March 23, 2011 06:06 PM

Habor Freight Greenhouse Update.. Anybody?

I still haven't used my rain check from last September. Wondering if anybody has any opinion on this since the last post.

M'Lyn

husker nana March 23, 2011 07:58 PM

I got a palram snap & grow greenhouse last year. I got it from Sears as it was on sale and they had free shipping.

We got two barrels and ran some small hose along the roof line to collect rain water from it.