Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Plant Labels & Master Lists (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=31470)

brokenbar March 9, 2014 12:45 PM

Plant Labels & Master Lists

I am appalled at how much dang plastic tags for seedlings cost. Tags seem to go up every year. Here is my method(s):

My Master list is very simple

P for Pepper, followed by a number, the name, the description

P1 Cayenne Spain Hot
P2 Cayenne Africa Hot

T for tomato

T1 Romeo US Paste

You get the picture. A simple numbering method means no writing long names on small tags. I bought these last year at .99 per 100, free shipping, re-usable, water proof:

[IMG]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTg1WDU4NQ==/z/7gwAAOxy1RZSVU6K/$T2eC16hHJGYE9nookQjcBSVU6JmR0g%7E%7E60_12.JPG[/IMG]
I saw that the seller was again offering these (other colors available) on Ebay for the same price;[URL="http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/171123657351?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/171123657351?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649[/URL]

The tags just go through the string so no having to cut them off. The tags are about an inch and a quarter across, plenty of room, using a paint pen, to write one letter and a number. At a penny apiece, even I, miser that I am, cannot complain. I might have mentioned that I also put the letter and number on each cup that contains a seedling. If you use peat cups, this obviously will not work for you.
[URL="http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/171123657351?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649"][/URL]

dipchip2000 March 9, 2014 01:23 PM

plant labels?

I have solved my label problem by buying brandnew miniblinds at lowes for about
5 or 6 dollars each. Cut off all the hardware and string leaving nothing but the vinyl slats. They can be cut to desired length with any pair of scissors or shears. I usually cut mine to about 5 inches which works well with my 3inch pots. I also use a black paint pen to mark them. Its cheap,efficient, and never fades out. You can get hundreds from extra long or extra wide blinds. Buy the cheapest because you are going to cut them up anyway.

ron

salix March 9, 2014 05:33 PM

Great system, Mary, and thanks for the label info/source. Ron, I do the same -BUT, I buy the blinds at our local hospice thrift store. They are new, still in the box and I pay only 1 or 2 dollars. The only downside is a very sore hand because I end up doing all the cutting in one fell swoop. Wouldn't be so bad, but I like to cut the corners off one end to make it tapered.

brokenbar March 9, 2014 05:55 PM

See, that's my problem...arthritic hands. We still have some made from blind material but they are getting pretty ragged. I also just got tired of writing the whole varieties name on a tag. I get the paint pens on Ebay for 5 for 6.00 and sun or rain, the writing lasts all season. I planted 1300 peppers this year (126 varieties....) so an easy master list and easy tags just make my life well..easier!:lol: I also find that the hanging tags are easier to locate on large plants rather than those in the ground, underneath all the foliage. I use the pink ones as they are so easy to see (like everything else, it seems, the eyesight is not what it used to be!)

mecktom March 9, 2014 07:32 PM

Mini blinds have worked for me for years....keep an eye out at the local dumpsters!!

ginger2778 March 9, 2014 08:29 PM

I like this idea. I am a super cheapo, and the blinds are hard to cut. What I do is go to Walmart, buy notebook dividers, they are translucent plastic. One sheet makes about 30 labels, the plastic is easier to cut than mini blinds, 8 sheets to a package for $2.99+ tax. So about 240 waterproof labels for $3. Your way is less expensive, and easier to see! I think I just converted.:yes:

Marsha

Worth1 March 9, 2014 08:58 PM

I have used something like this with a master list.
25=variety
T=Tomato.
R=Color

So a 25TR would be on the label and the master list.
The master list would have what it was.

Worth

brokenbar March 9, 2014 09:35 PM

I would like to think I could remember all the plant details as in "days of yore" but that is absolutely hysterical:lol::lol::lol: I can barely remember what I had for lunch yesterday! Actually, a nice Totuava steak (Sea Bass) in a Mirasol (Guajillo) marinade, grilled to perfection! The Husband is away on a Peccarie, or more commonly, Javaporco hunting trip in Brazil. I am "at my leisure" for a change and enjoying the solitude. We have had so much company...they all know we are only home in Mexico every few months so they foist themselves upon us (especially when it's winter and this year, what with the awful US weather, we have become a "free" winter resort for every Tom, Dick and Harry that we know. I think we just need to buy a little beach shack and let everyone stay there!) Anyway, A Master List for me is essential. I refer to mine all the time and add details, etc. But keeping it simple is really the best way to go!

Alpinejs March 9, 2014 11:09 PM

My system is designed for the lazy man (me). I have the venetian blind label
at the base of the plant, but once the plant grows and gets bushy, I am too
lazy to get down and search, so I use pink surveyors tape tied to the top ring of the 53" cages that I use and write the name on the ribbon with a felt pen. Unless I
misunderstand Brokenbar's system, would I have to go to a book or sheet to
see what T-32 stood for or such as that? I am too lazy to do that and have a
strong desire to know each of my plants on first name basis.

peebee March 10, 2014 12:54 AM

[QUOTE=brokenbar;397001]I would like to think I could remember all the plant details as in "days of yore" but that is absolutely hysterical:lol::lol::lol: I can barely remember what I had for lunch yesterday! Actually, a nice Totuava steak (Sea Bass) in a Mirasol (Guajillo) marinade, grilled to perfection! The Husband is away on a Peccarie, or more commonly, Javaporco hunting trip in Brazil. I am "at my leisure" for a change and enjoying the solitude. We have had so much company...they all know we are only home in Mexico every few months so they foist themselves upon us (especially when it's winter and this year, what with the awful US weather, we have become a "free" winter resort for every Tom, Dick and Harry that we know. I think we just need to buy a little beach shack and let everyone stay there!) Anyway, A Master List for me is essential. I refer to mine all the time and add details, etc. But keeping it simple is really the best way to go![/QUOTE]

I lived in Hawaii for 10 years and I feel your pain! Yes, people think they MUST see you now that you live in a resort (for them) area. What a relief to move away to CA. Not as desirable a destination. Only have visitors once a year now.:roll:

dipchip2000 March 10, 2014 04:41 AM

I forgot to mention that when the plant gets larger and I put my CRW cages around them I take the miniblind label and punch a hole near the end with a paper punch and zip tie to the top wire of the cage. No more bending over to read. The smallest beaded zip ties are one dollar for a package of a hundred at lowes. They have always lasted all season. Use the black UV tolerant ones.

ron

luigiwu March 10, 2014 08:34 AM

How are they reuseable? How do you remove what was written with your paint marker from the previous year?

brokenbar March 10, 2014 08:58 AM

Finger nail polish remover or a little paint thinner on a cloth...comes right off.

dpurdy March 10, 2014 02:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I've used mini blinds to make labels in the past. I made a bunch of small ones for seedlings and some larger ones for the garden. They're a little time consuming to make, so I use a rainy or snowy day leading up to spring, to do simple projects like this one. Here's a couple of pics to show how I made my plant labels. The large ones are 11 inches long and the small ones are 4 inches in length. Very simple and very cheap, but they do the job.
dpurdy

habitat_gardener March 10, 2014 03:44 PM

I'm even cheaper. I use the labels that come from nursery plants, which I find tossed on the ground at the community garden, or in a local nursery's recycling dumpster. Many of these are blank on one side. I write on them with a grease pencil, which lasts all summer. Each spring I wash and erase the still-usable labels.

I also give away a lot of plants, and if I have time to write labels for them, I use a sharpie. Since I've spent $0 on the labels, I don't mind using 100 of them when I give away plants.

I've also used wooden popsicle sticks, which I used to find at craft stores for something like $3 for a box of 1000. Lately the price seems to have gone up, though. I do still find these at craft shares, for free. Sharpies don't work as well on them -- the ink runs along the grain of the wood. Pencil or pen work better. Composted when no longer usable as a label.