Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Herbs (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Turmeric (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39332)

KC.Sun January 12, 2016 04:37 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;524952]I cant believe your not growing it, fresh ginger is the bomb and make a cool house plant.:yes:
I cant believe I'm not growing it.:?

Worth[/QUOTE]

I tried growing ginger but kept killing it!

Young ginger is amazing.

FarmerShawn January 12, 2016 05:23 PM

I grew both ginger and turmeric last year with rhizomes from the Hawaiian source (Biker Dude). I grew it in my greenhouse here in northern Vermont (zone 4), and while the turmeric was close to not having enough time, I still got a credible crop. They both need plenty of fertility, and not too much water at first, then plenty of water later. I don't know what to do with the turmeric myself; it's just not in our diet historically. But it sold surprisingly well at the farmers market.

ChiliPeppa January 12, 2016 05:47 PM

Beautiful!

Worth1 January 12, 2016 07:34 PM

I got back from the store and I got a huge bag of ginger this way I wont eat it all.
And this is something very strange I have never seen turmeric in the store ever and I am an observant person.
Well milk the goat, right there where the peppers were where I always go and cant miss it was turmeric so I bought some to sprout.:yes::D

Worth

KC.Sun January 12, 2016 08:30 PM

[QUOTE=FarmerShawn;524976]I grew both ginger and turmeric last year with rhizomes from the Hawaiian source (Biker Dude). I grew it in my greenhouse here in northern Vermont (zone 4), and while the turmeric was close to not having enough time, I still got a credible crop. They both need plenty of fertility, and not too much water at first, then plenty of water later. I don't know what to do with the turmeric myself; it's just not in our diet historically. But it sold surprisingly well at the farmers market.[/QUOTE]

How much did you have to plant to yield a crop? I had maybe 1-2 pounds of ginger initially, but they rotted in the pot.

Worth1 January 12, 2016 09:18 PM

[QUOTE=KC.Sun;525017]How much did you have to plant to yield a crop? I had maybe 1-2 pounds of ginger initially, but they rotted in the pot.[/QUOTE]

This guy is worth watching he doesn't stammer.:roll:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkjrfzZTrA0[/url]

FarmerShawn January 13, 2016 09:56 AM

KC.Sun, I ordered a five pound sampler pack from Hawaii, which I split with a friend. We both followed directions and pre sprouted them in shallow trays, barely covered with potting soil, and kept warm and, as I recall, just slightly moist. I waited to transplant when I saw green shoots, but apparently all you need to see are the white sprout buds.

Worth1 January 14, 2016 08:44 PM

In another thread about my shade garden I mentioned a terrace on the hill.
I have decided that I will grow the ginger and turmeric there.
I will plant the stuff and rebuild the side of the terrace a bit later.
It should do fine as an under story plant and look nice with any luck.

Worth

JoParrott January 15, 2016 01:43 AM

After reading Kay's post I went to a local Asian market and found fresh Turmeric rhizomes- bought a bag and will try growing them in containers, since our winters here are way too cold. The flowers are really pretty.

Worth1 January 15, 2016 07:32 AM

[QUOTE=JoParrott;525475]After reading Kay's post I went to a local Asian market and found fresh Turmeric rhizomes- bought a bag and will try growing them in containers, since our winters here are way too cold. The flowers are really pretty.[/QUOTE]

I saw several videos where they grow them in the soil on farms.
I think the trick is to not water log them and make sure you only plant healthy rhizomes.

Worth

kayrobbins January 15, 2016 08:27 AM

The turmeric should do great planted in ground. Mine was in a 20 gallon pot and if it had been in something bigger or planted in ground I am sure my harvest would have been bigger.

I do have Lesser Galanga growing in ground and it is a huge plant. I want to get rid of that plant because it has no flavor and is taking up good growing space. When I think I have it all dug up it pops back up. The Greater Galanga is the one used in Thai cooking and I would like to grow it.

I go help out at my friends herb farm at least once a month and she always gives me different herbs in appreciation for the help. I take whatever she gives me and I have so many unusual herbs. I really need to do an inventory.

JoParrott January 15, 2016 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Do these rhizomes look OK? They were all I could find at the Asian market. They don't look real fresh, but I just want to sprout them in containers. Kay, I tried to send the photo in a PM, but couldn't figure out how to attach it even in advanced.

kayrobbins January 15, 2016 05:57 PM

Some of the bigger ones look pretty good. I can't really tell if they have eyes but they probably do. I would not bother keeping the ones that are shriveled on the end and have black spots.

JoParrott January 15, 2016 06:12 PM

Thanks, Kay- I will get rid of the nasty looking ones and pamper the others.

Worth1 January 15, 2016 07:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's my stuff it is covered in little sprouts.
Worth
[ATTACH]55652[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]55653[/ATTACH]