Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Preserving Your Harvest (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Fermenting. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38997)

greenthumbomaha November 29, 2017 10:38 PM

[QUOTE=Hunt-Grow-Cook;673234]Pretty spot on and thorough from my understanding as well. Great post Oakley.[/QUOTE]

I am still here so there must be a hint of truth to that interpretation!

My diet is salt restricted, and I enjoyed sauerkraut for the first time in many years. It was a very tiny bit sweet, just the way I like it.

I have two of the jar with weight kits and they work well for a small quantity. I would like to make more now. Don't know if I would trust or enjoy using a store bought cabbage for this. I'll have to check the local organic grocer and see what is available.

- Lisa

Worth1 December 12, 2017 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ghost peppers and Christmas Kraut.
Worth
[ATTACH]78199[/ATTACH]

Rajun Gardener December 13, 2017 03:43 PM

The Easy Fermenter Wide Mouth Fermenting Lids - 3 Pack + Pump
Your Price:
$29.99
You Save: $9.01 (23%)

You get a 10% coupon with a email sub too, it should load up automatically when you're on this page.
[url]https://nourishedessentials.com/products/the-easy-fermenter[/url]

Worth1 December 14, 2017 05:46 PM

I like my airlocks, 'Gives it the mad scientist look.:lol:
Worth

Salsacharley January 14, 2018 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took the Bait for the Easy Fermenter wide mouth lids and weights. I don't know why the Easy Fermenter lids seem to make fermenting easier, because the difference between screwing on a Easy Fermenter lid and a regular Ball type lid with an airlock is not so much. I have been getting a bunch of fermenting recipes from Easy Fermenter so I have been playing with them quite a bit. I've fermented Fizzy Tomatoes and Curried Cauliflower. The tomatoes were a dud because I didn't use the right "whey" the recipe called for. I just put in some pure yogurt. The Curried Cauliflower came out pretty good, but it is way way salty. I hope to leach out some of the salt by soaking the cauliiflower in regular water.

Now I'm a week into fermented garlic in apple cider vinegar, and I just finished setting up Brussels Sprouts Kimchi. Here's a pic of them in action. I expect the B Sprouts to overflow the fermenter because I loaded it too high.

Worth1 January 16, 2018 07:22 AM

[QUOTE=Salsacharley;678159]I took the Bait for the Easy Fermenter wide mouth lids and weights. I don't know why the Easy Fermenter lids seem to make fermenting easier, because the difference between screwing on a Easy Fermenter lid and a regular Ball type lid with an airlock is not so much. I have been getting a bunch of fermenting recipes from Easy Fermenter so I have been playing with them quite a bit. I've fermented Fizzy Tomatoes and Curried Cauliflower. The tomatoes were a dud because I didn't use the right "whey" the recipe called for. I just put in some pure yogurt. The Curried Cauliflower came out pretty good, but it is way way salty. I hope to leach out some of the salt by soaking the cauliiflower in regular water.

Now I'm a week into fermented garlic in apple cider vinegar, and I just finished setting up Brussels Sprouts Kimchi. Here's a pic of them in action. I expect the B Sprouts to overflow the fermenter because I loaded it too high.[/QUOTE]

I tend to just stick with my time proven salt and water method and it works great.
Tried a few recipes and found them to be way too salty.
Right now I have a jar of ghost peppers on the counter I have no idea how long they have been there.
Didn't write down any dates or anything and dont care.
Just took the lid off and they smell heavenly.:yes:

Worth

pmcgrady January 27, 2018 09:01 AM

What about hard boiled eggs? Years ago about every bar you went to had a big jar of eggs, I'm guessing they were pickled instead of fermented.
A historic restaurant here on Rte 66, "The Ariston" has been serving Brussels Sprouts at their salad bar for years and won't give up the recipe. They must be fermented, I think I'll try to make a batch.

Worth1 January 27, 2018 09:46 AM

I remember the eggs, the sausages and the pigs feet at bars too.

They were all pickled and sat on the counter.
Now with the food safety police and so on those days are practically over with.

Something I dont get is you can buy the sausages in the package in the store on the rack.

pmcgrady January 30, 2018 03:53 PM

I went the Masontops "pickle pipe" route and just finished with my first batches! 2 quarts of White Kimchi, 1 quart Brussel Sprouts, 1 quart Gardiniera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmcgrady January 30, 2018 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=pmcgrady;680546]I went the Masontops "pickle pipe" route and just finished with my first batches! 2 quarts of White Kimchi, 1 quart Brussel Sprouts, 1 quart Gardiniera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180130/7c2ab3c299856daf6f5f24cd0c1d1ef0.jpg[/IMG]

Now the hard part... waiting. I can see I need 4 more pipes and weights and to find some 1/2 gallon wide mouth mason jars somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clspie January 30, 2018 09:34 PM

I purchased Ball, half-gallon, wide mouth jars at Walmart.

Worth1 February 4, 2018 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This pint of months long fermented ghost pepper sauce will soon be on its way to Colorado.
Just made it today.
Worth
[ATTACH]79167[/ATTACH]

pmcgrady February 11, 2018 07:56 AM

[QUOTE=clspie;680612]I purchased Ball, half-gallon, wide mouth jars at Walmart.[/QUOTE]

I found two cases of 6 half gallon Ball WM jars in a clearance isle at Rural King for $8/case. White Kimchi is done only takes 5 days for a light ferment, it turned out good.
Now what to make?

pmcgrady February 11, 2018 08:15 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;680005]I remember the eggs, the sausages and the pigs feet at bars too.

They were all pickled and sat on the counter.
Now with the food safety police and so on those days are practically over with.

Something I dont get is you can buy the sausages in the package in the store on the rack.[/QUOTE]

I found half gallon jars at Rural King and was walking thru their canned goods isle, saw that they have pickled eggs (regular and hot) and pickled Red Hot Sausages, no pigs feet though. The eggs still had the shells on them, if I recall the eggs in the bar had shells removed.

Worth1 February 11, 2018 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=pmcgrady;682349]I found half gallon jars at Rural King and was walking thru their canned goods isle, saw that they have pickled eggs (regular and hot) and pickled Red Hot Sausages, no pigs feet though. The eggs still had the shells on them, if I recall the eggs in the bar had shells removed.[/QUOTE]

I just saw pickled pigs feet in the HEB store the other day.
I never was a big fan of them but my mother was.
She even liked chicken foot soup and all other manner of things gristle, fin, bone and skin like including crispy salty fried fish tails and boiling pig heads on the stove for head cheese.
Came from French family too.:lol:

Worth