Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Megablooms!!! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35833)

JohnJones April 2, 2015 09:17 PM

Megablooms!!!

3 Attachment(s)
[FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]The first three major blooms on any of my plants are all megablooms...

Cherokee Purple Plant #1

[ATTACH]47733[/ATTACH]

Better Boy

[ATTACH]47734[/ATTACH]

Cherokee Purple Plant #2[/SIZE][/FONT]

[ATTACH]47735[/ATTACH]

beeman April 3, 2015 09:37 AM

I find Megablooms to be annoying and pull them off. They seem to take forever to ripen, create ugly looking toms and also seem to hold the plant back, as if all the growth is concentrated in that one blossom. Yuck!!!

JohnJones April 3, 2015 10:05 AM

Respect your opinion, but to me they are kinda fun. Obviously if it becomes apparent they are not going to produce an edible tomato I will pull them, but they're interesting to me.

I am not really one to aggressively alter my plants. My dad was certainly no horticulturist, but he grew lots of tomatoes over 60 years of gardening and he was always very hesitant to pull anything off a plant that had a chance of making a mater.

Stvrob April 3, 2015 10:38 AM

I agree, they are fun and interesting to watch them develop.

ddsack April 3, 2015 02:40 PM

I think mega blossoms are beautiful! As far as the catfacing, you only look at a tomato before you eat it. Once you dice it for salsa, or cook it into sauce your stomach doesn't know the difference. Not every tomato is going to be sliced for perfect presentation on a platter. :roll:

And those few who grow competition sized giant tomatoes only want megablossums on their plants. :cute:

PA_Julia April 3, 2015 03:56 PM

My main focus is giant tomato growing. You can't have tomatoes of any decent size without megablooms. Here is my largest mega bloom from last season. Using a magnifying glass I counted a total of seven fused blooms. This is on a particular strain of Delicious called Hunts Strain. The seed was a descendant of the tomato that holds the Pennsylvania state record at 6.51 LBS. This grew into a 4.37 LB tomato. Not my personal best but of decent size nonetheless.. This year I have seeds from my friend and fellow giant grower Dan Mac Coy out of Minnesota. Last year he shattered the world record for tomato weight with a Big Zac that produced an eight bloom mega bloom. It grew to 8.41 LBS.
[IMG]http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o716/genevieve_66/017_zps9bf6e14c.jpg[/IMG]

JohnJones April 3, 2015 04:52 PM

[QUOTE=PA_Julia;462037]My main focus is giant tomato growing. You can't have tomatoes of any decent size without megablooms. Here is my largest mega bloom from last season. Using a magnifying glass I counted a total of seven fused blooms. This is on a particular strain of Delicious called Hunts Strain. The seed was a descendant of the tomato that holds the Pennsylvania state record at 6.51 LBS. This grew into a 4.37 LB tomato. Not my personal best but of decent size nonetheless.. This year I have seeds from my friend and fellow giant grower Dan Mac Coy out of Minnesota. Last year he shattered the world record for tomato weight with a Big Zac that produced an eight bloom mega bloom. It grew to 8.41 LBS.
[/QUOTE]
Julia,

That bloom is massive. Do you have a pic of the final tomato?

Once you get a bloom like that what kind of pruning do you do to the plant?

Stvrob April 3, 2015 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=PA_Julia;462037]My main focus is giant tomato growing. You can't have tomatoes of any decent size without megablooms. Here is my largest mega bloom from last season. Using a magnifying glass I counted a total of seven fused blooms. This is on a particular strain of Delicious called Hunts Strain. The seed was a descendant of the tomato that holds the Pennsylvania state record at 6.51 LBS. This grew into a 4.37 LB tomato. Not my personal best but of decent size nonetheless.. This year I have seeds from my friend and fellow giant grower Dan Mac Coy out of Minnesota. Last year he shattered the world record for tomato weight with a Big Zac that produced an eight bloom mega bloom. It grew to 8.41 LBS.
[IMG]http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o716/genevieve_66/017_zps9bf6e14c.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh my god, please dont post a picture of whatever that grew up to be! Yuck, Yuck, quintuple yuck!

Gardeneer April 3, 2015 09:03 PM

Some mega blooms do not survive. Of the ones that do, become cat faced. In my experience those won't ripened properly.
Cherokee purple had been the first with mega bloom in my garden.

Though an interesting thing to observe, I would remove them, as I consider them mishaps.

Gardeneer

PA_Julia April 4, 2015 06:44 AM

[QUOTE=JohnJones;462051]Julia,

That bloom is massive. Do you have a pic of the final tomato?

Once you get a bloom like that what kind of pruning do you do to the plant?[/QUOTE]

Yes I do have a photo of that tomato and here it is;
It is flashing color on the bottom portion of the tomato so it was done growing.

[IMG]http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o716/genevieve_66/001_zpskzji7ajv.jpg[/IMG]

PA_Julia April 4, 2015 06:53 AM

[QUOTE=Stvrob;462064]Oh my god, please dont post a picture of whatever that grew up to be! Yuck, Yuck, quintuple yuck![/QUOTE]

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Growing giants for competition requires a different mindset than perfectly round tomatoes that are eaten. These are not eaten and only one tomato is grown per plant. The seed is then saved and shared with other giant growers.

For my friend Dan Mac Coy who grow the world record last season at 8.41 LBS, not only is he holding that record , after all prize money and continuing endorsements he's sitting at over ten thousand dollars from growing that tomato.

That's certainly not a "" Yucky"" payoff to coin your word. :P

b54red April 4, 2015 12:04 PM

I don't mind the mega-blooms too much but they tend to ripen very unevenly most of the time so that part of the fruit is overripe while other parts are still green. Since I'm not growing for size I try to cull most of them out.

Bill

heirloomtomaguy April 4, 2015 12:25 PM

[QUOTE=PA_Julia;462186]Yes I do have a photo of that tomato and here it is;
It is flashing color on the bottom portion of the tomato so it was done growing.

[IMG]http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o716/genevieve_66/001_zpskzji7ajv.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

That thing is a beast. Do you grow them organically or with a whole lot of super thrive?

Starlight April 5, 2015 06:55 AM

What is the difference between a regular bloom and a megabloom and how do you know what to look for or if you happen to have one?

Nice looking plants there John Jones.

Pa_Julie... That's one big tomato!!!!!!!!! Whew!

JohnJones April 5, 2015 11:50 AM

Thanks Starlight!

A megabloom is just a popular name for a fused blossom of 2 or more blossoms. It will result in a typically odd looking combination of two or more tomatoes into one, often larger than average, tomato.

The blossom will likely appear abnormally large next to the others in the cluster (See Cherokee Purple #2 above). Once the tomato shows itself, if the pistils (the tubes extending from the blossom end of the tomato) are still present there may be more than one as in the Better Boy pic above.

Look for large blossoms and then watch their development closely.