Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Potato leaf micros? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46218)

Greatgardens November 20, 2017 10:28 AM

Potato leaf micros?

Anyone familiar with any micros with PL foliage? I think that Linda (Ukraine) has PL, but it is a bit bigger than a micro. I would like to try my luck with some micro crosses, and need PL for a "marker" of the crosses.

-GG

Nan_PA_6b November 20, 2017 11:19 AM

Hi GG,

I don't know of any, but in my experience with micros, it's an absolute BEAR to emasculate & pollinate a micro. I never did successfully get it to work, and ended up using the micro for pollen. Since micros are the result of two pairs of dwarf genes, you could use a dwarf potato leaf as the female, and then you'd see the success of the cross in the RL f1's and it wouldn't be too hard to get the double dwarf back in the f2's.

Nan

Cole_Robbie November 20, 2017 12:06 PM

dfollet (Dan) has a few. I tried one micro PL that ended up making larger fruit, and not cherry, so I didn't keep it. He would be the guy to ask, though.

Greatgardens November 20, 2017 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;672252]Hi GG,

I don't know of any, but in my experience with micros, it's an absolute BEAR to emasculate & pollinate a micro. I never did successfully get it to work, and ended up using the micro for pollen. Since micros are the result of two pairs of dwarf genes, you could use a dwarf potato leaf as the female, and then you'd see the success of the cross in the RL f1's and it wouldn't be too hard to get the double dwarf back in the f2's.

Nan[/QUOTE]

Hi-
Thanks for the tip, and that should work even better than my original idea. I'm really interested in the F1's, but might go further.
GG

Nan_PA_6b November 20, 2017 11:33 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;672256]dfollet (Dan) has a few. I tried one micro PL that ended up making larger fruit, and not cherry, so I didn't keep it. He would be the guy to ask, though.[/QUOTE]
According to Mendelian genetics, there ought to be a small chance of getting a large-fruited micro, depending on the cross. I didn't think it could actually be done, though. You've seen such a creature?:shock: Sounds awesome!

Nan

KarenO November 20, 2017 11:36 PM

ChrisK hasn't posted here for quite a while but he has some PL micros that I have grown.
KarenO

Cole_Robbie November 21, 2017 12:02 AM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;672364]According to Mendelian genetics, there ought to be a small chance of getting a large-fruited micro, depending on the cross. I didn't think it could actually be done, though. You've seen such a creature?:shock: Sounds awesome!

Nan[/QUOTE]

LOL. You are the second person to tell me that. I had no idea anyone would want such a plant, so I did not save seeds. Yield was like 3-4 medium sized tomatoes off of one plant. I didn't think the variety was something I could sell.