Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Micro-tomato crosses (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28443)

ChrisK June 3, 2013 10:42 PM

Micro-tomato crosses

Seem to be a few folks working independently on these. I'll post my crosses and the current filial generation below with pictures as available.

ChrisK June 4, 2013 10:22 PM

Here are my 2012 micro crosses. I'm at F3 plants on some, F1 plants on others. Some are going to be more like the dwarfs, not micros.

Chibikko x Sungold F1
Chibikko x Green Zebra
Chibikko x Dr. Carolyn
(Chibikko x Green Zebra) F1 x (Chibikko x Sungold F1) F1
Hardin's Miniature x Carbon
Hardin's Miniature x Dr. Carolyn
Hardin's Miniature x Chocolate Cherry
Red Robin x Rose Quartz (?)
Red Robin x Dr. Carolyn
Red Robin x Orange Santa F1
Red Robin x Chocolate Cherry
Red Robin x Sungold F1
Red Robin x Green Zebra
Yellow Dwf x Sungold F1
Yellow Dwf x Orange Santa F1

sprtsguy76 June 5, 2013 02:52 AM

Ok mine will all be f1's. Maybe I could grow some of the f1's out this fall in the greenhouse.

Tiny Tim and Red Robin crossed with the following:

Green Giant
Kosovo
Desters
Jd's c tex
Purple and Pink BB
Blush
Green doctors mystery cross f3 (GWR cherry beefsteaks)

Damon
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

WhippoorwillG June 5, 2013 10:07 AM

This year I am doing Mohamed x

Sungold F1
Lemon Drop
Gru Vee
Blue Pitts
Pink BumbleBee
Blush

Some of the initial crosses did not take, so I have to recross, but I am excited about some of the f2 possibilities. As the year progresses, I might do a few others.

I also have a dwarf husky cherry to do some dwarf indeterminate crosses, but I haven't got around to them yet.

I am more interested in getting to the f2s of the Mohamed crosses by later this season so that I might find a few micro plants to grow inside this winter.

nctomatoman June 5, 2013 04:42 PM

Hmmm...Red Robin X Green Giant. I really would love to see the specimen that has the one pound fruit on the 6 inch tall plant!

Damon, if you need any help microdwarf hunting, let me know!

Redbaron June 5, 2013 06:06 PM

[QUOTE=nctomatoman;353805]Hmmm...Red Robin X Green Giant. I really would love to see the specimen that has the one pound fruit on the 6 inch tall plant!
[/QUOTE]:twisted::?::no::dizzy:

ChrisK June 5, 2013 10:21 PM

I had the same mental picture when I crossed Hardin's Miniature with Carbon!

[QUOTE=nctomatoman;353805]Hmmm...Red Robin X Green Giant. I really would love to see the specimen that has the one pound fruit on the 6 inch tall plant!

Damon, if you need any help microdwarf hunting, let me know![/QUOTE]

ChrisK June 7, 2013 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of the crosses with Green Zebra. Pretty little red and yellow striped cherry. Better pictures tomorrow of the rest of the lines.

Jayc June 8, 2013 03:06 AM

Great thread, love the sound of some of these crosses and can't wait for updates :)
Hope this is not out of place here, my pictures are a bit random I'm afraid but here's a link to some I'm growing.
[url]http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/jayb35/library/Small%20Mini%20and%20Micro%20Dwarfs[/url]

ChrisK June 8, 2013 08:58 AM

Your crosses? Mydwfa looks particularly nice! I'm also using NSL187009 this year for the variegation.

[QUOTE=Jayc;354352]Great thread, love the sound of some of these crosses and can't wait for updates :)
Hope this is not out of place here, my pictures are a bit random I'm afraid but here's a link to some I'm growing.
[URL]http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/jayb35/library/Small%20Mini%20and%20Micro%20Dwarfs[/URL][/QUOTE]

Jayc June 8, 2013 10:42 AM

Yes, my crosses. Thanks, some of the earlier fruit with those ones was seedless which is disappointing, the GWR taste is great though. I've got several lines of siblings, mostly F3 and F4's. I think I crossed Chibikko x Mydwfa (F2), I'm possibly growing an F1? Soon as I catch up with stuff I'll try and get organised and do a list of crosses.

I found NSL187099 not the easiest to grow and it set only a few fruit last year, perhaps not suited to UK summers and last was particularly cool and wet.

ChrisK June 8, 2013 02:39 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Here are the F2 fruits of Chibikko x Green Zebra. Still waiting for a couple more.

sprtsguy76 June 9, 2013 01:01 AM

Wow nice looking stuff guys! Jay those blues look visually stunning!

I've slowed down the last few days with all the crosses I've done. Now looking around the plants to see which crosses have taken. Looks good so far but still waiting on some flowers to fruit.

Damon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

tlintx June 9, 2013 01:06 AM

That striped cherry is lovely! How does it taste?

If anyone needs a grower-outer, send me a PM. I have a bunch of pots too small for regular plants that I need to fill! :)

Tl

ChrisK June 9, 2013 01:00 PM

The flavor of the striped one is pretty good, not too sweet! The skin is a bit thicker than I'd like but they dont crack. That one is definitely going forward as is the darker colored F2-10.

[QUOTE=tlintx;354604]That striped cherry is lovely! How does it taste?

If anyone needs a grower-outer, send me a PM. I have a bunch of pots too small for regular plants that I need to fill! :)

Tl[/QUOTE]