Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   New Variety Winners of 2017 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45772)

Gardeneer August 5, 2017 02:27 PM

New Variety Winners of 2017

For over 10 years I have been trying lots of new varieties , in search to find a few that I like. In fact about 50% the varieties that am growing ( ~ 16 ) this year are new to me.
I had had my share of disappointment and surprises.

Here are my top FIVE surprises this year:

Indian Stripe PL
Esterina
Cuostralee
[B]German Queen[/B]
Indigo Cherry Drops

This is, of course , in addition to the varieties that I have grown in the past.

Ok, What are some of your surprising discoveries this season ?

pinklady5 August 5, 2017 07:53 PM

Trying Soldaki for the first time this year. I'm still waiting for it to ripen but the plants are loaded with fruit. I love Cuostralee! It is on my grow list every year.

clkeiper August 5, 2017 08:08 PM

do you care if it is OP heirloom or hybrid picks? I know everyone has had their gripes about Burpees but I tried 2 new varieties this year. One is Honey Delight... it is supposed to be a 4 oz tomato but I knew looking at the picture it was not a 4 oz tomato. it is a large cherry maybe about 2 oz. excellent tomato. and Orange Slice Hybrid. an excellent large orange slicer.

AlittleSalt August 5, 2017 09:51 PM

My biggest surprise this year was finding out our ground has Fusarium wilt race 3.

2. Big Beef is as good as others have told me.
3. Gargamel was fun to grow and tastes good. It's striped and changes colors.
4. Anna Margaret's Heart - everyone who likes hearts needs to try this one.
5. Japanese Pink Cherry is my favorite sweet cherry tomato.

Gardeneer August 5, 2017 10:18 PM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;658785]do you care if it is OP heirloom or hybrid picks? I know everyone has had their gripes about Burpees but I tried 2 new varieties this year. One is Honey Delight... it is supposed to be a 4 oz tomato but I knew looking at the picture it was not a 4 oz tomato. it is a large cherry maybe about 2 oz. excellent tomato. and Orange Slice Hybrid. an excellent large orange slicer.[/QUOTE]

No ! It does not matter to me/others but to you who likes a variety , regardless of OP/hybrid designations. I have a few hybrid favorites myself ( like Big Beef, Brandy Boy , ...) But they are not new to me in 2017.

I think now [I]have close to 12 varieties that I have found all these years that I like.
Come 2018, NO MORE new trials for me. I have enough to suit my limited growing capabilities.
Next season, few varieties and fewer plants . Gotta enjoy gardening and relax a bit. I am getting old. :twisted:
[/I]

MikeInCypress August 5, 2017 10:29 PM

New ones that were Good in 2017:
1) GGWT - Beautiful with excellent taste and a good producer
2) Gladiator - 1st Burpee Intro since Brandy Boy that lives up to its hype. Huge yield of very large paste tomatoes.

MikeInCypress

PaulF August 5, 2017 10:35 PM

So far with only about half of the varieties ripened, Daniel Burson is the leader on production and flavor...it's a winner this year.

Spartanburg123 August 5, 2017 10:40 PM

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;658801]No ! It does not matter to me/others but to you who likes a variety , regardless of OP/hybrid designations. I have a few hybrid favorites myself ( like Big Beef, Brandy Boy , ...) But they are not new to me in 2017.

I think now [I]have close to 12 varieties that I have found all these years that I like.
Come 2018, NO MORE new trials for me. I have enough to suit my limited growing capabilities.
Next season, few varieties and fewer plants . Gotta enjoy gardening and relax a bit. I am getting old. :twisted:
[/I][/QUOTE]

I certainly hope you can give DLH one more chance! It is an exceptional plant!

jtjmartin August 5, 2017 10:40 PM

Chocolate Stripes PL - wonderful taste and production
Kapidag Red from Two Seeds in a Pod - just a wonderful throw-back taste to a time when tomatoes tasted like . . . well, tomatoes!
Sungold

pondgardener August 5, 2017 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Robert, (AlittleSalt) mentioned "Anna Margaret's Heart" and it is a favorite of mine as well. But I may be a little prejudiced as Anna Margaret is my aunt. And the "surprise" I had this year was a grow out of a possible mutation of this variety which is showing orange instead of the pink tomato. Notice the one "normal" surrounded by the mutants in the picture below. But more on that as the season goes on.

George

[ATTACH]76062[/ATTACH]

AlittleSalt August 5, 2017 11:53 PM

Wow, Pondgardener, those are very different.

I'm planning on growing next year's Anna Margaret's Heart grafted to a FFF,N rootstock. They did very well here growing through RKN and Fusarium 3, but it did effect them eventually just like all others. Grafting is completely new to me. I plan on practicing with seeds that I have a lot of (Way too many of).

Your post to this thread is inspiring to me, and I thank you for that.

MuddyToes August 6, 2017 01:35 AM

My favs for flavor in 2017

These are all new for me:
1. Sun gold (Good in salads, salsas, and dehydrated. Pure yum! Now I know what all the fuss is about here at TV.)
2. Jaune Flammee (Tastes really good dehydrated. Surprised because I didn't think I would like a tangy tomato.)
3. Dwarf Purple Heart (Tastes great but I've only gotten one so far that didn't crack before ripening. I will plant in-ground next year. It's unhappy in the EB.)

Gerardo August 6, 2017 01:47 AM

Grandma Oliver's Chocolate, two enthusiastic thumbs up. Thank u Marsha.

charline August 6, 2017 04:44 AM

My favorite new variety cherry is Pink Princess. Flavor to die for.... very complex. EVERYONE loves it.

sjamesNorway August 6, 2017 09:48 AM

So far:

1) Indian Stripe PL, delicious, productive, 55 dtm in my greenhouse!
2) GGWT, a "jewel" and yummy, productive, 70 dtm in the greenhouse.

Both set fruit well in the heat.

Steve