Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Short and sweet winter project (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48386)

KarenO December 20, 2018 10:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
First tiny fruits set. This one is one of my Venus cross.

PlainJane December 20, 2018 10:59 PM

Love the trichomes on the closeup shots!

Americangrams January 25, 2019 04:56 PM

Short and sweet

5 Attachment(s)
Im behind on posting my updates on Karen’s crosses. They are doing great, lots of little green tomatoes. Can’t wait to see some color.

KarenO January 25, 2019 05:23 PM

Thank you! They look so great, I can hardly wait to see what those fruit look and taste like
Karen

KarenO January 31, 2019 01:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Starting to get a couple of ripening ones and Teresa’s are setting very well with some close to ripening. There are stripes which I’m happy about and lots of variation in the plants that remain between us. First ripe shown is from one of my Venus cross plants at 96 days from sowing the seed.
Remains to be seen which ones ( hopefully) have flavour and best overall plants to select the final candidate(s) to bring forward for an F3 grow.
Overall I am very pleased so far with more than 300 starts whittled down to about 50 remaining between us - here’s hoping for some flavour... will know soon.

Whwoz January 31, 2019 02:55 PM

Looking good Karen

NicolasGarcia January 31, 2019 03:04 PM

Lovely photos Karen!
Thanks for sharing.
Nico

hl2601 January 31, 2019 03:43 PM

Looking great Karen! Wondering how tall they are at this point? Are all four crosses approx the same heights after all the culling or is there a lot of variation between your chosen crosses' sizes? Also was there a lot of leaf shape variation?

KarenO January 31, 2019 06:21 PM

There is a lot of variation. RL and PL, not all are micro ( under 18”)
My final selections will be micro There are lots more photos on my northern gardener page and we will put more up here as things start to ripen
The plant with the ripe one at 96 days is determinate, micro about 14” tall regular rugose foliage. It’s a contender if it tastes good. Hoping for other colours as well.
Karen

KarenO February 3, 2019 03:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Update from Teresa, this group enjoying a little winter sunshine in North Carolina are all from my Venus cross.
Excited to see some colour soon! :yes:
KarenO

hl2601 February 3, 2019 05:21 PM

They look terrific. I am really enjoying your project!

KarenO February 7, 2019 02:47 PM

Thank you! we are having fun with them during these dreary winter days, soon I hope to post some more ripe ones...
KarenO

akgardengirl February 7, 2019 03:02 PM

They are cute! It is fun to have the miniatures growing in the winter. I am having fun with D Folette's micros again this year and most have baby green tomatoes on. All were started Nov. 7.
Sue

KarenO February 7, 2019 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=akgardengirl;726297]They are cute! It is fun to have the miniatures growing in the winter. I am having fun with D Folette's micros again this year and most have baby green tomatoes on. All were started Nov. 7.
Sue[/QUOTE]

They are fun indeed. Smell alone makes them worth growing.
KarenO

KarenO February 17, 2019 02:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Needing some warmth to ripen but slow and steady wins the race :)
Some exciting variation in form and striping final colours very soon then seed saving and decisions to be made for advancement. I think there will be several to go forward for sure.:yes: