Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   My Sun Sugar is still going strong (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=51588)

QAGuy February 7, 2023 01:16 AM

My Sun Sugar is still going strong

3 Attachment(s)
It's the only plant that has survived to this point. Still producing tomatoes. It's grown over the top of my 6 foot trellis and trails back down to the ground.

Dark Rumor February 10, 2023 08:56 PM

When did you plant this monster?

QAGuy February 10, 2023 09:50 PM

April of last year. Haven't fed or watered it in months.

ddsack February 11, 2023 09:29 AM

That plant looks incredible! So healthy, no leaf loss anywhere? I'd say save seeds from if it wasn't a hybrid. Looks like you can keep the whole neighborhood in cherry tomatoes! Will be interesting to see how long you can keep it going!

Fred Hempel February 11, 2023 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=ddsack;769898]That plant looks incredible! So healthy, no leaf loss anywhere? I'd say save seeds from if it wasn't a hybrid. Looks like you can keep the whole neighborhood in cherry tomatoes! Will be interesting to see how long you can keep it going![/QUOTE]

I might save seeds from it, even though it is a hybrid!

ddsack February 12, 2023 09:39 AM

[QUOTE=Fred Hempel;769899]I might save seeds from it, even though it is a hybrid![/QUOTE]

Of course! If anyone has the space and inclination it's a fun thing to do and they just might get lucky! :cute:

QAGuy February 12, 2023 07:27 PM

I am trying to do some cuttings so I have a clone of that plant. I had one going, but after your comment, I decided to add two more.

ddsack February 13, 2023 10:05 AM

Great idea on the cuttings!

DK2021 February 20, 2023 03:03 PM

About 20 years ago I had moved out of San Diego temporarily and I was back for a visit--I think it was about this time of year too, definitely after New Year's Day and definitely a winter month. I was staying with friends, and noticed spots of bright red in their Santa Rosa plum tree. I was confused, as it wasn't plum season, and anyway the color was wrong. When I walked up to take a closer look, I realized it was a cherry tomato that had vined right up through the plum tree and was loaded with fruit. That plum tree was fully mature, at least 15 feet tall (you needed a ladder to pick the plums), and there were tomatoes right at the crown of the tree! I remember asking what the variety was, and my friends said that it was just some anonymous cherry tomato they'd purchased at Home Depot. Good flavor too! They joked that the tomato vine's performance was probably due to it being fertilized by the dog.

Altmer March 29, 2023 02:22 AM

So cool to see. In Canada it is obviously impossible to get a one-year old tomato plant. I'm envious and amazed!

Taking cuttings in definitely the way to go! You could keep that thing going for years :)

JRinPA March 29, 2023 01:54 PM

Sunsugar...my favorite cherry tomato has proven to be even better than I thought. I grow sungold and sunsugar each year, and the flavor and split resistance goes to sunsugar each year, with production probably an edge to sungold. Sungold throws more per truss, a bit smaller though.

It would pretty neat to have a sunsugar tomato stick around all year. A decade or so back I read a koontz novel (the one and only ever), and the only thing I really remember about the story was that there were "pepper trees" there in SoCal that stayed alive year round.

DK2021 March 29, 2023 11:31 PM

The "pepper trees" are probably Peruvian or Brazilian peppertrees which were introduced as ornamental trees, although they unfortunately tend to be invasive. These are in the Anacardiaceae (sumac/poison oak/poison ivy/cashew/mango) family. The Peruvian peppertree is one source of "pink peppercorns" (which obviously are not true pepper; true pepper is a vine from a different family). Some people are allergic to thie family in general and should avoid even the edible species like sumac, cashews, and mango.

Peppertrees get quite large--40+ feet tall--and in California are evergreen.

[QUOTE=JRinPA;770312]Sunsugar...my favorite cherry tomato has proven to be even better than I thought. I grow sungold and sunsugar each year, and the flavor and split resistance goes to sunsugar each year, with production probably an edge to sungold. Sungold throws more per truss, a bit smaller though.

It would pretty neat to have a sunsugar tomato stick around all year. A decade or so back I read a koontz novel (the one and only ever), and the only thing I really remember about the story was that there were "pepper trees" there in SoCal that stayed alive year round.[/QUOTE]

JRinPA March 30, 2023 12:56 AM

Could be...I would not want to re-read it to find out. But I would like a 40' sunsugar tree. I think the one above might be there in two more years.

CrazyAboutOrchids March 30, 2023 07:47 AM

We used to grow Galinas but switched to Sunsugar years ago. Awesome cherry tomato!!! We love the flavor, the production is insane every year and very little splitting unless we don't get out to pick. I have grown some monsters here in CT, but they die off come hard frosts.

Your plant is amazing! It's beautiful and healthy and I've never seen a tomato plant that big!!!!

Curious, if you take a cutting, what do you do with it then?