Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Seed & Plant Sources (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Double Helix Farms (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20511)

doublehelix January 22, 2012 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;250157]
I'm always interested in where varieties I first found kinda ended up, if you know what I mean,:lol:

[URL]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Sherrill[/URL]

[/QUOTE]

I got Sherrill in a seed trade on a forum. I had sort of low expectations because it is not the "type" of tomato I prefer. Boy was I surprised. It is good enough for fresh eating and solid enough for a canner/paste tomato. I think it is better than the much praised Opalka.

So Carolyn, your tomato ended up in my belly. :lol:

doublehelix January 22, 2012 01:36 PM

[QUOTE=mysidx;250253]Nice site, the Nazca tomato looks and sounds very interesting. If I haven't already had so many seeds to plant already, I would check that one out for sure.[/QUOTE]

Nazca for sure was interesting. Grew like a weed.

doublehelix January 22, 2012 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=austinnhanasmom;250266]Very nice website and lightning fast delivery!

Rare varieties -

WHO can ask for more??

Amazing!

Thanks Steve![/QUOTE]

I really appreciate the nice comment and the business. I'm glad to hear your seeds got there.

augiedog55 January 25, 2012 12:01 PM

Man was that quick. I got my seeds in today. Well package and fast. Thank you for the extra pack
Bruce

doublehelix January 28, 2012 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=augiedog55;250902]Man was that quick. I got my seeds in today. Well package and fast. Thank you for the extra pack
Bruce[/QUOTE]
I'm glad you were happy. I try to get things out as quickly as possible. Thanks.

-Steve

nadine18 February 3, 2012 11:10 PM

[QUOTE=doublehelix;249952]

I usually have a lot of extra plants. Since you are so close, you might want to check back with me in March and I will give you a few tomato plants to try.

-Steve[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the late reply. Plants would be awesome, I'm not so great at starting seeds. :))
I really like the looks of this one-
[URL]http://www.doublehelixfarms.com/sugar[/URL]
Lots of little red tomatoes would make my kids so happy!:yes:
I'll get in touch with you through your website.
Thanks!

Granite26 March 20, 2012 02:27 PM

I just spent the last two days planting 3000 tomato seeds. I have to say the seed from Double Helix was the best to work with. So many times seed is stuck together but these were all individual loose seeds. This really helps when planting. Steve, not sure what you do to get such clean seed but it is appreciated! Thanks!

austinnhanasmom July 7, 2012 03:55 PM

I am growing nearly every variety that I purchased - which says a lot because I am seed whore and have thousands of other tomatoes to grow -

and germination was excellent

and Dragoevo and Favorite Holiday were my first to produce.

DHF has a HUGE fan here!!

Raspberry Miracle is the best tasting tomato in my garden this year.

Thanks so much!!

MikeInCypress December 4, 2012 05:05 PM

Any idea as to when Double Helix will be back on line?

carolyn137 December 4, 2012 10:00 PM

[QUOTE=MikeInCypress;313803]Any idea as to when Double Helix will be back on line?[/QUOTE]

Steve called me the day before thanksgiving and I was so glad b'c I'd been trying to reach him several times via e-mail b'c I grew out three of the several varieties he sent me and had some questions.

It's been a horrible year for him. First it was a knee problem and then with the drought he lost most of his plants and that included those that he was working on with his breeding efforts.

And I don't think he'd mind me sharing that then he started feeling awful, and cutting to the chase he was diagnosed with both Rocky Mt Spotted Fever and Erlichiosis, both confirmed by serology.

And he just hasn't recovered all that well and said he had no energy at all.

So to answer your question, I don't know when he'll be back on line but he should get this post sent to home, I think, and maybe, if that's true, he can stop by.If I see nothing from him in the next couple of weeks here at his site I can try to reach him via e-mail again.

Carolyn

Diriel December 6, 2012 07:24 PM

I have been wondering about his site myself. I hope things turn around for him!

Gary

greyghost December 7, 2012 09:39 AM

Thanks for letting us know, Carolyn. I had been keeping an eye on his site, too, and am sorry to hear he's had such a bad year and taxing health problems. He's another terrific new vendor and I wish him well. Darlene

carolyn137 December 10, 2012 04:19 PM

I got a surprise phone call from Steve this afternoon and he said he's been spending full time writing the descriptions for all of the new varieties and uploading the pictures.

He expects to be done in the next few days with all the updating for his 2013 varieties at his website.

Carolyn

Tania December 10, 2012 04:22 PM

Wonderful news, thank you Carolyn!

Steve, all the best to you and speedy recovery!!!

Diriel December 10, 2012 05:49 PM

That is Great News! :)