Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   OSU Blue observations (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=11677)

Fusion_power May 26, 2015 10:39 AM

OSU Blue got into the wild when a student distributed some seed online. The resulting plants had several problems including excess foliage, uneven size, uneven color, and segregating genes that induce anthocyanin formation.

P20 is a selection from OSU Blue that emphasized plant traits a bit more. It was still segregating with some plants producing distinctly darker fruit.

Indigo Rose is a selection from P20 that stabilizes the genes for anthocyanin and fixes the fruit size in the 2 to 4 ounce range.

Jim Myers is still working with crosses to improve flavor and culinary traits. He has several lines going including a yellow with anthocyanin and several oval fruited lines. One of the oval lines that I tasted in 2012 was a very good flavored tomato though it still had a bit of an off whang from the wild species genetics.

I have a line growing from a single plant selection about 5 years ago. It has sungold sweetness combined with high anthocyanin fruit and moderately good fruit flavor. I have 3 plants in the garden that will hopefully be stable for the traits. This line is potato leaf.

carolyn137 May 26, 2015 11:17 AM

[QUOTE=Fusion_power;475665]OSU Blue got into the wild when a student distributed some seed online. The resulting plants had several problems including excess foliage, uneven size, uneven color, and segregating genes that induce anthocyanin formation.

P20 is a selection from OSU Blue that emphasized plant traits a bit more. It was still segregating with some plants producing distinctly darker fruit.

Indigo Rose is a selection from P20 that stabilizes the genes for anthocyanin and fixes the fruit size in the 2 to 4 ounce range.

Jim Myers is still working with crosses to improve flavor and culinary traits. He has several lines going including a yellow with anthocyanin and several oval fruited lines. One of the oval lines that I tasted in 2012 was a very good flavored tomato though it still had a bit of an off whang from the wild species genetics.

I have a line growing from a single plant selection about 5 years ago. It has sungold sweetness combined with high anthocyanin fruit and moderately good fruit flavor. I have 3 plants in the garden that will hopefully be stable for the traits. This line is potato leaf.[/QUOTE]

She wasn't a student Fusion, she was a technician in Dr. Myers Lab and I was present at DG when she made that offer.

I knew at the time that anyone working with OSU had to sign a release paper from Myers that seeds would be used ONLY for breeding purposes, which you knew as well.

When I asked her about that all she said was that no one had told her she could NOT distribute seeds and kept offering them.

And that's how the original OSU seeds got so widely distributed.

Carolyn

heirloomtomaguy May 26, 2015 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=Fusion_power;475665]

I have a line growing from a single plant selection about 5 years ago. It has sungold sweetness combined with high anthocyanin fruit and moderately good fruit flavor. I have 3 plants in the garden that will hopefully be stable for the traits. This line is potato leaf.[/QUOTE]

So when will we get a chance to grow this awesome sounding variety of yours?

frogsleap farm August 12, 2016 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is an interesting and novel pattern of anthocyanin accumulation in a gs/gs background. Often times high anthocyanin expression masks the stripes, but here is highlights them.

Boutique Tomatoes August 12, 2016 10:36 AM

I've seen this too, I really like the look. I believe it is heritable, but it appears that it can be masked if fruits get too much direct sun; at least in the lines I'm working with.

heirloomtomaguy August 12, 2016 01:14 PM

Wow Mark that tomato looks awesome. What F generation is that tomato at? Or is it already OP?

Boutique Tomatoes August 12, 2016 01:23 PM

Took me a bit to find last year's picture I was thinking of. I have a couple of sibling lines of this going this year, but this particular one had disease issues last year so it didn't make the cut for 2016.

[IMG]http://www.onthemarksolutions.net/images/tomatoes/StripedAnthoPlum.jpg[/IMG]

frogsleap farm August 12, 2016 03:48 PM

Seed from this fruit will be F6.

frogsleap farm August 12, 2016 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=Boutique Tomatoes;586361]I've seen this too, I really like the look. I believe it is heritable, but it appears that it can be masked if fruits get too much direct sun; at least in the lines I'm working with.[/QUOTE]

I agree Mark. This particular fruit on the plant was in the upper canopy, but not exposed to full direct sun. I also look for anthocyanin expression in the canopy - although all Aft/Aft types appear to have more expression in high light, some have almost nothing in the canopy. Just another example of how various "modifier genes" affect anthocyanin expression in tomato fruit.

goodwin September 1, 2016 12:39 AM

Frogsleap -

You are really onto something with these wild color combinations. I have a bit of antho on some of my striped ones, but it is still rather variable. I like the interior of this one, though.

[IMG]http://cybermesa.com/~goodwin/Wild%20Tiger%20sliced(r).JPG[/IMG]

Lee