Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Rose Quartz Multiflora Fantastic ! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45921)

BlackBear August 27, 2017 03:43 PM

Rose Quartz Multiflora Fantastic !

2 Attachment(s)
Wow ! Rose Quartz Multiflora is a Winner here !:yes:

I also have Zluta Kytice going this year .....

Ildi is well known ...

Any other recommendations for other Multiflora varieties out there ?:)

charline August 27, 2017 04:10 PM

I love very much Sweet Sharon and Sweet Beverly. And there is also Reverend Michael Keyes for an excellent red one.

BettyC-5 August 27, 2017 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I grew Rebel Alliance and Rev. Michael Keys. (Thanks to Marsha for the seed) RA was tastier to me than RMK, will grow it again. Had really hot weather when they should have been setting, so did not get the large amounts of fruits, but they are still producing enough to snack on.
Started Ildi for my daughter and she says it is better than a yellow pear but not outstanding. Would not grow it again.
Rebel Alliance on top with Rev. Michael Keys below.

carolyn137 August 27, 2017 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=charline;662369]I love very much Sweet Sharon and Sweet Beverly. And there is also Reverend Michael Keyes for an excellent red one.[/QUOTE]

Charline, was Sweet Beverly stable for you and I ask for two reasons.

[url]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Sweet_Beverley[/url]

And there was a person who came to Tville and showed pictures with all sorts of colors, from almost white to pale yellow and a deep orange, as well as well as all kinds of shapes,which Tania also noted above.

Carolyn

carolyn137 August 27, 2017 06:50 PM

I had one plant of Rebel Alliance this summer, but it didn't do well, no problem since the others didn't do well either,but I got a few fruits and was surpised they were brown. Bred by Russ Aceto and seeds from him.

But the multiflora I think I like the best,well with the exception of Zluta Kytice is

[url]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Riesentraube[/url]

Click on more pictures to see the multiflora nature of this one.

It was known in many European countries under slightly different names,one being Goat's T*t in Hungary which describes the small nipple at the blossom end.
It was Curtis Choplin who got it out of the German Seed bank in at Gatersleben, and I think Will Weaver also got it from somewhere. I know he said that many liked to use it for making tomato wine,he sent me a few bottles and yes,it tasted like an excellent pale sherry.

Aha, I just remembered where Will described the recipe he used to make the wine, it was in an issue of Off The Vine,which was an International newsletter that I started and asked Craig L to join me and we published it for quite a few years.

Carolyn

BlackBear August 28, 2017 03:55 AM

We had real hot weather stress and I grew these multiflora in 7 gallon buckets ..

Things are still hot this year and the Rose quartz multiflora was impressive and did really well

Zluta Kytice did well but seemed to be a bit stressed with extreme heat and less

fruit set ...but STILL PLENTY !:yes:

Thanks for all the tips to everyone ! ...

I also hear Fireworks is multiflora ...but not quite as productive for fruit set but larger fruit etc.:)

cloz August 28, 2017 07:28 AM

Neither Rebel Alliance or Rev. Michael Keyes was tasty in my garden. Almost every Rebel Alliance tended to split.

Coo

BlackBear August 28, 2017 01:24 PM

Well then ....I am most pleased with Rose Quartz Multiflora

and Zluta Kytice .......they will both be back next year in my Garden.:)

BlackBear August 28, 2017 01:35 PM

Legenda Tarasenko

Ah Ha ! found one Multiflora that sounds promising ....

Legenda Tarasenko (Multiflora)

but where to find seeds !? :roll:

carolyn137 August 28, 2017 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=BlackBear;662548]Ah Ha ! found one Multiflora that sounds promising ....

Legenda Tarasenko (Multiflora)

but where to find seeds !? :roll:[/QUOTE]

I forgot to save it but if you check out Tania's listing for it you won't find any seed sources, nor in the latest SSE Annual Yearbook.

But here's a fantastic list of multifloras that was posted here recently,did you read it?

[url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43878[/url]

We've have had problems here at TV and still do with folks PMing someone to ask for seeds,so please don't do it since I then get a PM from someone saying if they had seeds to offer they would do so.. Just post in the WANTED subforum of the seed exchange. Yes,many of those on the lists in that link are going to be hard to find. If it were me I'd also do some Googling. I'm one who believes that Google is everyones friend.

Carolyn

BlackBear August 29, 2017 03:27 AM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;662563]I forgot to save it but if you check out Tania's listing for it you won't find any seed sources, nor in the latest SSE Annual Yearbook.

But here's a fantastic list of multifloras that was posted here recently,did you read it?

[URL]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43878[/URL]

We've have had problems here at TV and still do with folks PMing someone to ask for seeds,so please don't do it since I then get a PM from someone saying if they had seeds to offer they would do so.. Just post in the WANTED subforum of the seed exchange. Yes,many of those on the lists in that link are going to be hard to find. If it were me I'd also do some Googling. I'm one who believes that Google is everyones friend.

Carolyn[/QUOTE]

Hey Thanks for this Tip Carolyn....Just The Ticket great Post !

Geranium Kiss is multiflora as well...hmmmmm

well ...Just to identify a few mutifloral possibilities is great ....:yes:

Ann123 September 2, 2017 02:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am growing 4 multiflora this year. Millefleur (not great tasting), rebel Alliance (not so great fruit setting, in our cool climate it is late for a cherry, but taste is very nice), rose quartz (a lot of fruit and good taste) . But the one that produced a massive amount of fruits is Barry's crazy cherry. In the two lowest flower trusses almost every flower grew into a fruit.
This is him last week. Five trusses, single stem pruned and lower leaves are removed (the classic way in Europe to fight phytophthora). Rose quartz is tastier. Barry is very mild. But so many tomatoes!

Salsacharley September 2, 2017 07:53 AM

That Barry's Crazy Cherry is fantastic. How do you support it? Those trusses look seriously strained.

BlackBear September 6, 2017 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=Ann123;663160]I am growing 4 multiflora this year. Millefleur (not great tasting), rebel Alliance (not so great fruit setting, in our cool climate it is late for a cherry, but taste is very nice), rose quartz (a lot of fruit and good taste) . But the one that produced a massive amount of fruits is Barry's crazy cherry. In the two lowest flower trusses almost every flower grew into a fruit.
This is him last week. Five trusses, single stem pruned and lower leaves are removed (the classic way in Europe to fight phytophthora). Rose quartz is tastier. Barry is very mild. But so many tomatoes![/QUOTE]

WWow ! very nice pix .....

great culture technique !

I am so glad I asked about Multiflora toms ......

It is good to hear that Rose quartz multiflora ... is not a dud !:cute:

Ann123 September 16, 2017 03:22 PM

It is trellised just like the 'old' folks do it here in Europe.
I have one rope per plant hanging down from a horizontal bar (only 2 meters high because I am in a cold climate and tomatoes hanging higher then 2m usually don't ripen). When I plant I make a knot around the base. Rather large knot/loop since the stem will grow bigger. The rope is taut. I twist the plant around the rope. Every time I remove the suckers I twist the plant around it. All suckers are removed. When a truss is blushing all leaves under that truss are removed. The plant gets 'naked' at the lower half when it's picking season. It seems maybe fragile, but this thin piece of rope supports heavy plants.

It is the traditional way here because we have often a lot of rain and phytophthora is a mayor disease here. It thrives in warm (not hot) and humid weather. When the leaves stay wet for a couple of hours it can attack the plant. Thus we try to have as little as possible leaves and as much as possible airflow.

A pic I found on the web; [url]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/49/81/fb/4981fb642a81fac076f711ce15d046b5--tomato-plant-support-green-earth.jpg[/url]