Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Alliums (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Does all garlic 'scape' (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=22920)

gtnate May 21, 2012 07:55 PM

Does all garlic 'scape'

It's my first year growing garlic, and I have been watching various videos and reading articles in order to figure out what I should expect. Can anyone tell me if all garlic should produce 'scapes' before it is ready to be picked? I'm just curious, as I haven't seen any scapes yet on any of my plants.

Lcottomsvcs May 21, 2012 07:59 PM

I might be wrong, but in my experience hardneck varieties make scapes, softneck varieties don't. But that could have just been my growing experience.

Lora

Mojave May 21, 2012 08:01 PM

None of my softnecks have ever had scapes. Just the hardnecks.

JerryL May 21, 2012 08:16 PM

Only Elephant and Hardneck scape.

The following is from 'The Garlic Store' site. No mention of Softneck scaping.

[COLOR=#008080][COLOR=#ff0000][B]HARVESTING[/B] [/COLOR]
[/COLOR]Many people make a big mistake at this point. They wait too long to harvest. Keeping garlic in the ground beyond a certain point does not result in bigger bulbs, but rather dried out, split and nearly useless ones. [B]When to harvest? When the lower third to half of the leaves have turned brown, but there are still mostly green leaves higher on the plant, it's time to harvest.[/B] [COLOR=red]Others suggest harvesting when the hardneck scapes are standing straight up but before the pods containing the bulbils open up.[/COLOR] You can always test dig one or two plants. You should be able to see the shape of the cloves beginning to bulge through the wrapper. On the High Plains, depending on the weather, harvest can begin as early as the first week of July. There is also a two to three week difference in the harvest dates of the several varieties. So watch you plants carefully. To get the bulb out of the ground, don't just try to pull them. The stalk will break. You must dig, using a pitchfork or the like in order to loosen the soil. Then you can lift the entire plant out of the ground.
Don't let the bulb stay in the sun very long as it will sun scald, which reduces its quality. For our larger fields here at Yucca Ridge our very clever neighbor Bob has modified an ancient potato picker which actually does an excellent job at extracting the plants. (It really helps to move in next to a guy who likes to weld things and is so clever he makes you feel quite inferior, which of course you can't admit to him....... why am I getting into this?)
[COLOR=red][B]Incidentally, many people wonder if the scapes should be cut in order to increase bulb size? For elephants the answer is definitely yes[/B]. For hardnecks, yes appears to be the correct answer also, although some varieties seem less affected by leaving the scape attached. Cut them generally just before the scape has fully extended (or the coils in the Rocamboles have started uncurling). When still young, the scapes are considered good eating by some.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Hope this helps.[/COLOR]

gtnate May 21, 2012 08:22 PM

Thanks for the great information. Now I just gotta' figure out if I have a hardneck or a softneck variety, ha ha.

janezee May 21, 2012 08:24 PM

THANK YOU! I was feeling that I had done something wrong to/with my softneck garlic, because I have no sign of scapes. (whew)

Hi, gtnate. Great question!

j

henry May 21, 2012 08:58 PM

When stressed softneck garlic will sometimes produce neck bulbils and sometimes scapes.

If you do not have a harsh winter this is unlikely to happen.

Softneck scapes would not likely happen at the coast.

Henry

TomNJ May 21, 2012 09:36 PM

I agree with everything said above, but suggest you snap the scapes (if you get any) while they are still tender, about 18" long and still curled. They are great eating, either sauteed or grilled, and you'll get bigger bulbs.

TomNJ

stackhouse_kbtom May 21, 2012 09:55 PM

i heard garlic keeps away vampires... good luck

stonysoilseeds May 21, 2012 10:42 PM

the scapes also make delicious pesto

tjg911 May 22, 2012 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=gtnate;276711]Thanks for the great information. Now I just gotta' figure out if I have a hardneck or a softneck variety, ha ha.[/QUOTE]

do you know the name/names of the varieties you planted? of the varieties i have grown, softnecks have always been smaller plants about 20-26" tall whereas hardnecks are 32-42" tall. but that's here and seattle with cloudy and rainy weather may produce smaller plants. i'm always careful when giving advice to people outside my region.

like henry said, sometimes softnecks will produce bubils in the stalk. this happens often when i grow softnecks. i ignore it.

tom

bcday May 22, 2012 01:44 PM

I have all hardneck varieties and I haven't seen any scapes on my garlic yet either. It's too early in the season here. The plants are still sending up leaves.

Did you plant a named variety or was it garlic that you bought at the supermarket?

roper2008 May 25, 2012 02:24 PM

This is my first year growing some hardneck garlic. I cut off the scapes
and gave them to my sister to cook last month Decided to pull some up,
about a quarter of the leaves are yellow. I believe this is Spanish Roja.

[IMG]http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu359/lrgarden/Veggie%202012/DSCN0900.jpg[/IMG]

tjg911 May 25, 2012 03:09 PM

nice size bulb but recommendations are to dig them when 1/2 the leaves die back. your bulbs may get a little larger if you wait a little longer.

i won't be digging until at least the 1st week in july often 2nd or 3rd week and sometimes the 4th week in july.

tom

TomNJ May 25, 2012 04:32 PM

That's a real beauty Roper! Hope mine are as nice. Like Tom, I harvest in July, and dig them when about 3/4 of the leaves are yellow/brown but three leaves are still mostly green.

TomNJ