Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Alliums (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   In south central WI. What onions should I plant? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39118)

BackyardFarm December 20, 2015 06:12 PM

In south central WI. What onions should I plant?

In an earlier thread someone asked about how much they needed to plant and these numbers seems about right. I also use them in our meals daily. Usually all three.
"50 sq. ft. of garlic (planted 6" OC) and about 75 sq. ft. of onions (also planted 6" OC)"

There are just so many kinds in each catalog I don't know what to pick! I'm in south central Wisconsin so I know I can do long or intermediate day onions. And I have our fresh eating only onions picked out. But I don't know what kinds to plant for [I]storage[/I].

So far I have a packet of Rossa di Milano, some Egyptian Walking Onions, and some multiplier onions (unnamed -from my dad). So what else do I need?
We like cutting up red onions for raw uses and mostly use yellow sweet onions for cooking. I'm trying to decide which shallots to buy too.

For fresh eating I have Borettana Cippolini onions and Red Flat of Italy onions (I'm planning on also pickling these and freezing for stews),
Evergreen Long White bunching onions and Italian Red of Florence bunching onions (these I will stagger so we have a constant crop, and also dry the sliced greens for winter, maybe I can just grow inside when it's too cold?)

jmsieglaff December 20, 2015 08:05 PM

I've grown Copra from seed I start indoors every January. They are very consistent performers, they keep very well and I plant mine thick (9/sq ft) so mine aren't real big but production per unit area is higher. I tried Cortland last year in addition and didn't notice much difference so I'll stick with Copra since the seed is cheaper.

BackyardFarm December 20, 2015 08:38 PM

Is Copra a red or yellow onion?

Never mind, it's a yellow. My internet is being so slow today google finally gave me some search results.

Longlake December 20, 2015 10:48 PM

Copra and Redwing are both great storage onions, easily lasting until the following spring. Highly recommend both!

Farmette December 20, 2015 11:24 PM

I'm in southeastern Wisconsin and I've grown Copra, Redwing, Red Zeppelin and Candy for a sweet. For the past 2 ys, I substituted Highlander for Copra and Red River for Red Zeppelin. This coming year I will grow Copra. Highlander (which I really like) and switch back to Redwing or Zeppelin...
I get my onion plants from Dixondale Farms. They're a family run company, prices per bunch are reduced the more bunches you buy...I combine my order with a friend and shipping is free. I appreciate not having to start plants as I am starting ALOT of other plants. So, a thumbs up for Redwing and Highlander with Copra not far behind.

spacetogrow December 23, 2015 06:27 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm wondering if Farmette or anyone else could recommend [B]strong[/B] onions that are good winter keepers. I've only tried Dakota Tears, which seems to be keeping well but was inconsistent about bulbing in the one year I've grown it.

I'm in Minnesota, zone 4b, so have much the same growing situation as BackyardFarm.

kath December 23, 2015 06:35 PM

I've grown quite a few storage onions from seed to see which do best here in PA, which is warmer than your zone; but others that I know in New England have also had good luck with Copra and Redwing, which were my best performers along with Red Bull. None of the open-pollinated varieties I tried lasted as long as these in my storage conditions.

4season December 25, 2015 06:24 PM

The varieties that Farmette mentioned grow OK here at the short to medium day length zone. Candy and red candy apple do the best for us. Dixondale has a map showing where the varieties do best.

salix December 27, 2015 05:58 PM

For what it's worth, every year I grow Candy, Copra and Red Wing. Then add several varieties to 'try them out' and see how they grow and store. Last year I also tried Red Zeppelin and White Wing. They were OK, and the White Wing seems to be storing quite well. They are started at the beginning of March (seed), and planted out towards the end of May. Harvest is usually in August and they are always of a good size and beautiful. (I love all the Allium family!) By the way, our latitude is almost 54 degrees if that is any help to you.

Tormato December 30, 2015 03:16 PM

In addition, you're going to need leeks, chives, garlic chives, ramps, etc...etc...