Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Legumes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Nice Heritage bean gift from co-worker (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47062)

oakley March 20, 2018 08:51 AM

Nice Heritage bean gift from co-worker

1 Attachment(s)
A hand-off from a co-worker last night. Her Grandmothers saved seed from
Sicily. She settled on LongIsland NY. They were her Grandfathers seed the
family has been growing every year. MariaMallano is her name, (her Grandmother)
(I helped my co-worker with some troubled vegetable starts a couple weeks ago)
That led to gardening talk....

It is a skinny stringless string bean. Delighted they are so tiny. I'm always seeking
out small dark beans. Like the tiny French fillets.

Not had a chance to look for comparables. Exciting none the less. :)

hl2601 March 20, 2018 09:07 AM

YUM and what a nice score! Love those smaller string beans. Let us know how they grow out and taste!

rxkeith March 20, 2018 10:01 AM

find out if it is a pole bean vs bush bean.

my great uncle steve came to this country from sicily. i have been growing pole beans
from him for a long time now.
lots of good things from sicily. let us know how they do.
if you ever want to swap seeds let me know. mine is a flat pod stringless bean thats green with dark purple streaks.

keith

ddsack March 20, 2018 10:12 AM

What a fun find to grow out this summer! I'm a fan of skinny filet beans, too. Please post some pictures of the plants and pods later this season.

oakley March 20, 2018 11:11 AM

Oh good. We have some bean-a-holics here. ;)

Flat pod stringless with streaks sounds great.

I'll get more history soon. Hopefully a pole bean.
I do plan to save seeds. Nice to have so many to start with.

I grow around 20+ varieties every year but always looking for more gems.

aftermidnight March 20, 2018 11:26 AM

Hi Keith, I tried emailing you, don't know if you got it or not, you sent me a few Ralph's pole bean a few years back do you still have them? I thought I still had a few in the freezer but can't find them. We think it's the same bean as Ralph's Italian Heirloom, those of us that have this one can't get any to germinate so here's hoping you still have yours. I have lots of different beans I can trade if you're interested. By the way Auntie Vi changed her name to Emelia's Italian after I found her history. Uncle Steve is still alive and doing well here.

Annette

aftermidnight March 20, 2018 11:47 AM

Oakley, the shape of your beans remind me of cow peas, maybe yard longs? It will be interesting to see what you get when you grow them.

Annette

kath March 20, 2018 06:04 PM

Wow- how fun for you to grow it out! Yes, please keep us posted as it grows!

kath

Zeedman March 20, 2018 08:27 PM

[QUOTE=aftermidnight;690474]Oakley, the shape of your beans remind me of cow peas, maybe yard longs? It will be interesting to see what you get when you grow them.

Annette[/QUOTE]
It looks like the seed of a yard long bean to me too, I grow a lot of those. That would explain the "skinny" description. If so, it would most likely be a vigorous pole bean.

PhilaGardener March 20, 2018 09:18 PM

[QUOTE=Zeedman;690551]It looks like the seed of a yard long bean to me too, I grow a lot of those. That would explain the "skinny" description. If so, it would most likely be a vigorous pole bean.[/QUOTE]

My thought three. Could turn out to be a bush too. Very interesting none the less! Hope you are able to do a good grow-out and enjoy them!

rxkeith March 20, 2018 09:51 PM

annette,

somehow i missed your email, but found it when i did a search. i sent you a response.
if you don't get it, you can pm me.

cheers,

keith