Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Clemson spineless okra (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=5462)

duajones June 6, 2007 12:13 PM

Clemson spineless okra

I have begun harvesting okra and so far have picked them mainly at the 4 inch range which is recommended because they get fibrous as they get larger. I missed one that ended up getting close to 7 inches long and didnt really notice much difference in it and the smaller ones. I am mainly using the okra for frying so maybe it doesnt make as much difference as it would boiling, etc. I have also read where some let it get larger and it still stays tender. Those of you that have grown it, what is your experience?

Worth1 June 6, 2007 01:13 PM

It all depends on how FAST they grow.
Okra likes a darn near swamp with lots of sun to grow in with very rich soil.
If the plant is allowed to get dry the pods will be very tough at a very small stage.

I always test suspect pods by using a very sharp knife.
I cut cross ways at the base of the pod, if it is hard to cut it becomes seed okra.
If I can barely hear a slight popping sound but cuts easily it is a fryer.
If the knife cuts through like butter it is for pickling or stewing.

Worth

Gimme3 June 16, 2007 11:31 PM

Good Tilth, Heat, Chicken manure, an ample water..an good spacin...allow Okra to remain tender at a 7-9 inch length.The knife test is the best way to know what you got. If it cuts easy..its tender. Clemson Spineless is THE Standard...))) Mr. Rodale will tell you very well...about Okra.

duajones June 24, 2007 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These plants are maybe the healthiest plants in my whole garden, looking good and producing like crazy. The trunks of the plants are really thick and I am wondering how much longer they will produce. They seem to really love the heat

Worth1 June 24, 2007 11:27 PM

They will produce until you get tired of okra if you keep the pods picked.:lol:

No joke, I'm not growing it this year but I have had plants go until the first frost.
We have had plants that were over ten feet tall.

If you top them around five feet they will branch out from the sides.

At the end of the year you can just let the pods stay on and they will mature, then you can harvest the seeds for next year.
They will come back the same thing as before.
A great way to get seeds for a lot less money.

Worth

duajones June 26, 2007 10:02 AM

pulled 8 pods this morning bring the total to 55 from 5 plants. They look picture perfect compared to what the stores are selling and I am really enjoying them. Definitely a winner in my garden this year and years to come

duajones July 24, 2007 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My plants are now over 8.5 ft tall and i am having to use a step ladder to harvest. 289 pods and counting

Worth1 July 24, 2007 05:39 PM

Cool deal man, (((((nice plants.))))));)
Down sowth they will last a long time, they should get over 10 maybe 15 feet tall.:)

Worth

shelleybean July 24, 2007 06:08 PM

Geez! 289 pods from just those few plants??? :shock: :?: :shock: :?: BRAVO!!

duajones July 24, 2007 06:25 PM

Since its my first time growing it, I really didnt know what to expect. Does that seem like alot or par for the course?

Worth1 July 24, 2007 06:28 PM

If you do it right, it is par for the coarse.;)
You did it right.8)

Worth