Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   FUNNY STORY (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=11054)

jtharper76 April 28, 2009 11:55 AM

FUNNY STORY

Just got back from a local nursery and thought I would relay and funny story. I was looking through their Tomato plants and came a cross a group offically labeled BLACK TOMATO??? Now being a member of the VILLE I knew there was more to this plant's name than just BLACK TOMATO so I asked the attendant what type of black tomato this was and she said "Its just black???" as though I was crazy to ask this. I replied "no there are lots of black varieties of tomato which one is this" and then I proceeded to name off about 5. I told her I just needed to know so I would know what I was growing. I apolgized but she went off in a huff and came back in a few and said" it is Black Russian, have a nice day." I again said "I'm sorry" and went to check out.

I get to the check out and the lady says, "hmm mortage lifter, do you know the story of this?" and begins to tell me the CRAZIEST STORY every having nothing to do with the actual story we all know. Something about WWII and saying money for the war effort and helping familes pay off their mortgage. WELL instead of making some else mad I just decided to say "MAN that is a crazy story, and I have heard a couple of other versions of the origin about a man using the seedlings to pay off his mortgage." She just said hmmm. AND I was out of there.

YIKES, sorry this was soo long but man I had a good laugh. THANKS TOMATOVILLE!

jungseed April 28, 2009 12:21 PM

Thanks for the laugh. People are soooo interesting.

matereater April 28, 2009 04:22 PM

Not surprising considering how stories tend to change / build from person to person.

Had a good chuckle, thanks!

ContainerTed April 28, 2009 04:46 PM

Years ago, when I was stationed in Clovis, NM (Cannon AFB) we decided to have a yard sale. I advertised it as "19 years of 'Don't throw that away, I might need it' ". The buyers showed up in droves.

I had a wire loop with about 50 four inch round planter cups and had a price of $3.00 on it. A man came up and looked them over and carried them for a minute or two. Then he looked at me and asked the price. I said $3.00.

Now, there was a lady just in front of me who was looking at our Bossum Collection. She looked at me and made eye contact just when the guy said, "Well, the most I can offer is $4.00". I kept looking at the lady and said, "Well, sir, if you want to pay $4.00, then I'll have to let you do that." The man paid the $4.00 and the lady smiled and choked back a laugh.

She wanted a piece of crystal we were selling and I gave her a super bargain on it.

Still one of the darndest things I've ever seen at a yard sale.

Still laughing, Ted

veggie babe April 29, 2009 01:35 AM

I was in Kroger's grocery store sunday and ask the clerk where the canning lids and jars were (thought i would check their prices while I was there). The young lady had a puzzled look on her face :no: and replied, "You want empty jars?" :shock: I simply told the young lady that I would ask someone else.:o

neva

newatthiskat April 29, 2009 02:33 AM

[B]Oh my gosh[/B] Neva! That is so funny. :)) Good thing you didn't try to tell her you were actually growing your own food to put in the empty jars. It might have done her in!

dice April 29, 2009 06:10 AM

Actually there is a variety (maybe more than one; see History
in page at URL below) just called Black:

[url]http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Black[/url]

(That is not necessarily what some nursery with tomatoes
called Black has, of course. They could actually be Black Krim,
Black Sea Man, Black Russian, Russian Black, Black Prince, etc.
But if they are one of those just called Black, it sounds like a
good tomato.)

jtharper76 April 29, 2009 10:00 AM

Guess we will see what I get. I am excited to see what type of tomato I get.

Ruth_10 April 29, 2009 10:35 PM

[quote=veggie babe;128970]I was in Kroger's grocery store sunday and ask the clerk where the canning lids and jars were (thought i would check their prices while I was there). The young lady had a puzzled look on her face :no: and replied, "You want empty jars?" :shock: I simply told the young lady that I would ask someone else.:o

neva[/quote]

I was in the grocery store and asked for jars and the clerk (kid about 16 years old) gave me the ole blank stare and said, "Jars of what?" :))

veggie babe April 30, 2009 02:22 AM

[FONT=Times New Roman]I feel you pain Ruth10, these young folks now days have no clue. You would think that sometime during their life they would’ve seen grandma or someone can. Just think they will be our leaders some day. Hope they will be able to feed themselves. :| [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]neva[/FONT]

Dukerdawg April 30, 2009 09:01 AM

I stopped at a roadside stand last summer to pick up sweet corn. I asked the girl what variety it was and she looked at me like I was from another planet and responded 'bi-color'. Duh?!

Duane

Blueaussi April 30, 2009 11:28 AM

I like the look on people's faces when I say "A green bell pepper is an unripe bell pepper". And am sad that some of them have such a very difficult time grasping the concept.

Worth1 April 30, 2009 12:52 PM

This is cheating.
I was in a fancy pants gourmet kitchen supply store and I asked some punk kid that worked there if they had any mandolins.
He said it was a kitchen supply store not a music store.
I told him they had a food-slicing gadget called a mandolin and he just about fell over.
Then there is the whole cheesecloth thing.
They have it but they don’t know where it is and they don’t know they have it.
You tell them it is to keep cheese warm at night and continue looking.

Ask for a French curve sometime.
After they look at you dumbfounded you point to a well-endowed lady and say “never mind, I found one”.

I always like it when some smart #$% tries to talk down to me and makes fun of us because we don’t know the meaning of a word.
Then I ask them if they know what a lathe dog, head stock, follow rest, tail stock or maybe the difference between a pitman arm and an idler arm is or maybe what a bearding line is.

This happened to a friend of mine the other day and he was making fun of his bosses because they didn’t know what some word meant, he said they were stupid.
I like the guy but I started naming off all of the stuff I mentioned above
He was clueless as to what it was and I asked him if he wanted me to go farther, he was embarrassed turned red and said, “no I think I stand corrected”.
People aren’t stupid they just don’t know everything.

Just like this computer stuff, I don’t know 1% of the lingo but I do know how to overhaul a slab of bacon.

It still doesn’t mean we can’t have some fun.:))

I think I will go and start lofting and work on my dory lap.:P

Worth

Worth1 April 30, 2009 01:03 PM

Oh by the way I forgot to add.
This is from TGS and I thought about it as soon as I saw the thread, I grew it last year.
A tomato called, Black.;)

Sorry,:)

Black #5785 (30 seeds) $2.65
Compact plants bear plenty of wonderfully rich, dark mahogany-brown tomatoes that average about 4 ozs. Fruit is smooth and somewhat elongated with a pointed tip; in fact, this variety is what some gardeners grew as Black Prince years ago. Black tomatoes have a delicious blend of sugar and acid and a distinctive, complex flavor that is to be savored. Some folks say this variety is one of the best-tasting black tomatoes and prefer it also for its nice, medium size. Russian heirloom. Indeterminate. 80-85 days.

Worth

jtharper76 April 30, 2009 01:50 PM

Worth, if the plant produces we will see what I have. Thanks for the description.