Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Favorite slicing cucumbers (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=50838)

biscuitridge January 6, 2022 11:26 AM

[QUOTE=PaulF;766424]The Diva that my wife grows and has grown for a couple of years has been the best tasting and most productive she has ever grown. And that variety stayed sweet and crisp right up to frost.[/QUOTE]

Yes Diva has been our favorite too, even for pickles,stays crisp better than any other kind that we've tried.

gardenmermaid January 6, 2022 12:22 PM

My favorites are Beit Alpha, Shintokiwa, Telegraph Improved and Miniature White (for containers). I grow outdoors, in the ground and a few patio containers and don't have time to fuss over plants more than helping the occasional vine onto the trellis. I prefer thin skins that don't need peeling. I try about 6-8 slicing cucumbers and about the same amount of pickling each year and for slicers these are so far the most dependable and delicious for me. I don't usually spend the money on hybrids since the few times I have they didn't impress me. They always seem like they want to be babied in a greenhouse or something, the vigor just isn't there in my experience, and since I am usually happy with flavor and production of the OPs I am not really motivated to keep trying the hybrids.

MapleTree January 7, 2022 01:13 PM

We've always grown Marketmore and Beit Alpha. Those are both really good.

This year we're going to try Silver Slicer. I haven't grown a white cucumber before but it's supposed to have a great taste and to never get bitter. It's a cross between Marketmore and Boothby's Blonde and is said to have the taste of the Boothby's Blonde and the disease resistance of the Marketmore.

DonDuck January 15, 2022 11:33 PM

[QUOTE=barbamWY;762024]I like Sweet Success. The seeds are expensive. They stay sweet and are tasty.
Barb[/QUOTE]

I agree about sweet success being a great cucumber. I also agree about it being expensive. Because it is also a gynoecious variety, it is super productive of very large, tasty fruit.

DK2021 January 21, 2022 06:30 PM

I'm not much of a cucumber eater, but I did grow Dragon's Egg cucumber the past couple of seasons, in a raised bed with a trellis to climb. Highly productive over a long period, and not bitter even when picked a bit late. As the name implies it is a white cucumber, and quite attractive. I'd grow it again, over green cucumbers.

bjbebs January 22, 2022 12:30 PM

Sweet Slice and Sassy, both F1. Use both for pickles but S.Slice is best for fresh eating.

Dark Rumor May 30, 2022 02:21 PM

2022 Cucumbers

1 Attachment(s)
I read this thread and added the following to my grow list:
Sweet Success - very early, each vine had 4 to 6 large cucumbers, taste was good, the vines with large cucmbers hanging in the air were really impressive
Sweet Slice - very productive, good size, held up ok in the refrigerator and taste was very good
Diva - productive, smaller size, I did not like the taste, mine were bitter

I also grow muncher each year, this year they have not produced for me and Tender Green did not produce many.

All in all I am very pleased with the cucmbers, they were great with my early tomatoes, I have a second round coming soon.

Below is sweet success cucumbers