Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Fried Green Tomatoes??? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=9598)

AK110682 October 4, 2008 06:27 AM

Fried Green Tomatoes???

Maybe this is a stupid questions but I've always wondered.... are fried green tomatoes made out of Unripe red tomatoes that are still green? Or are they made out of ripe tomatoes of a green variety??

-Amber

:surprised:

tessa October 4, 2008 07:25 AM

unripe red tomatoes.
very, very, very nice...and a great thing to do with the end of season tomatoes that don't have enough time to ripen.

AK110682 October 4, 2008 07:40 AM

Fried Green Tomatos???

Oh wow. Good to know....and I thought those green tomatoes in my garden were going to go to waste! Woo Hoo I think I'll go pick some greenies today and see how Fried Green Tomatoes actually taste!

-Amber

[quote=tessa;110309]unripe red tomatoes.
very, very, very nice...and a great thing to do with the end of season tomatoes that don't have enough time to ripen.[/quote]

kygreg October 4, 2008 10:17 AM

You can also make green tomato relish, green tomato pie, green tomato cake, and green tomato casserole among other things;

coronabarb October 4, 2008 12:38 PM

Amber,

Not stupid at all...if you don't ask, how are you going to know??? :-)) Check the recipe files for green tomato recipes.

AK110682 October 4, 2008 05:32 PM

Fried Green Tomatos???

Yeah I guess your right. I never would have guessed that it was unripe red tomatoes and not a ripe green variety.... just seemed a little odd to me, to be eating an unripe tomato LOL.

I'm originally from California, but since I live in Tennessee now, I figured I better learn how to make them. Fried Chicken.... fried green tomatoes.... you name it, they fry it here LOL :lol:

-Amber

[quote=coronabarb;110318]Amber,

Not stupid at all...if you don't ask, how are you going to know??? :-)) Check the recipe files for green tomato recipes.[/quote]

daylilydude October 4, 2008 07:52 PM

Yes, that's why us suthners look so healthy .:))

AK110682 October 4, 2008 08:53 PM

Fried Green Tomatos???

:lol: I have to admit.... there are some really fine looking cowboys out here! :yes: Tight jeans, cowboy hats, and the "yes mam's" :D :))

-Amber

coronabarb October 4, 2008 09:19 PM

Amber, send me one! :rofl: :lol:
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=magenta](this thread has taken an interesting turn)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

Tormato October 8, 2008 01:46 PM

Amber,

Unripe any color tomatoes. The unripe ones can be red, pink, green, yellow, orange, black, bi-color, striped, etc...

The best fried green tomatoes, for me, are "double coated".

Gary

AK110682 October 11, 2008 09:51 PM

Humm.... Just curious.... Are the flavor characteristics of different types of tomatoes distinguishable if they are unripe? Or do pretty much all green tomatoes taste the same? :?

-Amber

[quote=Tormato;110518]Amber,

Unripe any color tomatoes. The unripe ones can be red, pink, green, yellow, orange, black, bi-color, striped, etc...

The best fried green tomatoes, for me, are "double coated".

Gary[/quote]

Tormato October 14, 2008 02:31 PM

Amber,

I spice up the coating a bit, so I never could tell the difference. With a bland coating, maybe there is.

I do prefer tomatoes that are mostly solid flesh, rather than ones with alot of jell and seeds.

Gary

puttgirl October 26, 2008 09:03 PM

They need to be unripe green so they are firm enough to fry. Even green ones that are a little soft will fall apart and turn to mush when you fry them.

Amigatec July 5, 2009 05:29 PM

What is the best tomato for Fried Green Tomatos?

aninocentangel July 5, 2009 11:16 PM

My personal preference is for thick cored, meaty tomatoes, but I haven't found a variety that won't work. I don't use the giant beefsteaks because I find the slices too big for me to handle easily in the frying pan. I tried picking the beefsteaks when they were a manageable frying size but some of them hadn't filled out their seed cavities yet and I wound up with tomato rings.
I'm contemplating growing one of the reliable, heavy producing yet underwhelming when ripe varieties just for producing greenies next spring. :)
Enjay