Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Uyababa pepper (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15688)

ireilly September 1, 2010 08:07 AM

If there is enough I would like to request some seeds.

If you have any particular tomato seeds you want I could see if I have them also...

Thank you.

franzb69 September 1, 2010 08:08 AM

if you're also interested in some superhot pepper seeds, may also be able to accomodate you. =D

b54red September 3, 2010 01:58 AM

Those of you who want the seed need to PM me your mailing address and remind me you want some Uyababa seed. I'm going to pick some more this weekend to dry for seed. I will try to accommodate everyone in the next month or so. If you need the seed earlier let me know; because I have some ready now.

huntsman December 4, 2010 11:44 AM

Glad all is well in the land of Peppers...

Timbotide December 4, 2010 01:46 PM

Bill, Do you have any more of those Uyababa Pepper seed to share.
I don't need many.

Tim

Ken December 4, 2010 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=b54red;183018]Those of you who want the seed need to PM me your mailing address and remind me you want some Uyababa seed. I'm going to pick some more this weekend to dry for seed. I will try to accommodate everyone in the next month or so. If you need the seed earlier let me know; because I have some ready now.[/QUOTE]
Sent PM-Thanks again

TZ-OH6 December 4, 2010 10:46 PM

I went through the chiliman database

[URL]http://www.thechileman.org/search.php[/URL]

putting in various letter combos of Uyababa (uya, baba, bab etc) and got some hits that may be close, but you would have to look for a best guess since you have the original lable.

RinTinTin December 5, 2010 04:53 PM

"Uyababa" is probably correct. It is originally from the Durban area of SA (and a wonderful town, if I may add). It hits +/- 70,000 on the SHU scale. Very prolific plants. It has been on my "Want list" for awhile. It has a wonderful flavor, and is hot enough to add interest without destroying the other flavors in your recipe...just do not use too much.

b54red December 6, 2010 07:42 AM

I can't eat but a small amount before the heat gets to be too much but they make a fantastic hot sauce.
I boil my peppers in vinegar with some garlic cloves I then grind them in a blender and strain and regrind the stuff that doesn't get through the strainer. I then add sugar and vinegar and salt until I get the heat about right for me and then add some molasses and a little Worcestershire sauce. I then use it on nearly everything that you can add pepper sauce to.
I probably won't be growing Cayenne anymore because of the superior production of this pepper and the ease of picking. The plant takes longer to start producing than a Cayenne by a few weeks and it needs much more room because it gets so large. I have no idea what it would do in a container but my guess is it would be smaller.

Make sure you PM me if you want some seed before I run out of them. My memory isn't what it used to be so I need the PM to remind me.

Marko March 8, 2011 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like Uyababa is the winner, it's already twice as big as Malagueta and they were both started at the same time, 1/26.
A question for b54red, how about spacing? I'm planning to plant them three in a group 1ft apart from each other, is that too close?
Bhut Jolokia, Malagueta and Uyababa, all started at the same time:

franzb69 March 8, 2011 05:40 PM

I would space the uyababa and malagueta 18 inches apart
And then the bhut 24 inches away from the other peppers as it can get quite a bit wider than the two.

Buck7762 March 8, 2011 07:11 PM

Marko,

My understanding after talking to Bill (b54red) was that Uyababa reached 6-7 ft tall, and was wide as well. I'm pretty sure he posted some pictures that had the plant in it. I started 2 and will probably give them about 3 ft. I'll probably give malagueta around 2 ft, since they also get pretty big.

Buck

b54red March 8, 2011 07:15 PM

Put the Uyababa about 4 feet apart. I had mine 6 feet apart and they were touching each other. They get really big. Malagueta I would plant about 2 feet apart, they grow slow but will surprise you if you have rich soil. My largest Malagueta got over 5 ft tall and over 3 ft across. My Uyababas all got over 7 feet tall and around 5 feet thick. If you plant Pappadew they need nearly as much room as Uyababa.

Marko March 9, 2011 01:23 AM

Thanks, I'll plant them 4ft apart.

ctimeless February 14, 2015 01:33 PM

growing this variety this year, hope i get good yields like you